Quick Paint - Skarr Bloodwrath WIP

RuneBrush

I've had Skarr part painted on my desk for ages so thought it was about time I pulled my finger out and got him finished.  I'm not massivly happy with the silver edge highlighting if I'm honest, Skarr has ridged trim (like the Mighty Lord) that doesn't lend itself to edge highlighting in the same way as a Blood Warrior

Skarr-WIP1.jpg.a4074042b3726748ea01a6142ef28893.jpg

First off, this looks really good. I do see and hear your concern. Been there done that. If you are not "feeling" him, its gonna be rough to get all those weird surfaces edged, as I assume you'll lose patience very fast. If I may suggest, I'd go back and touch up the bronze again, then wash it as you did, then do a very slow and careful drybrush on those areas with the steel, perhaps even mixed with a little bit of bronze to take of that edge. Do it slow tho, too much and you'll be back where you started.

I think you did a great job tho. so keep at him and he'll look mighty fine in the end. :)

2 minutes ago, Lysandestolpe said:

First off, this looks really good. I do see and hear your concern. Been there done that. If you are not "feeling" him, its gonna be rough to get all those weird surfaces edged, as I assume you'll lose patience very fast. If I may suggest, I'd go back and touch up the bronze again, then wash it as you did, then do a very slow and careful drybrush on those areas with the steel, perhaps even mixed with a little bit of bronze to take of that edge. Do it slow tho, too much and you'll be back where you started.

I think you did a great job tho. so keep at him and he'll look mighty fine in the end. :)

Cheers.  I may well just leave him as is, possibly touch up the highlights whilst sat at a desk rather than on the sofa :)  Overall I try to remind myself that he's a gaming piece rather than a display model - he looks pretty decent using the 3 foot rule which is fine and I'm fairly happy with the rest of him so far.

If I do decide to redo, I think you're right that a gentle drybrush of silver would sort it - should have thought that before I'd painted anything else really :D  Recently I've been drybrushing with silver Rub n Buff and an old style GW Drybrush.  You get a really amazing finish with no streaking!

2 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Cheers.  I may well just leave him as is, possibly touch up the highlights whilst sat at a desk rather than on the sofa :)  Overall I try to remind myself that he's a gaming piece rather than a display model - he looks pretty decent using the 3 foot rule which is fine and I'm fairly happy with the rest of him so far.

If I do decide to redo, I think you're right that a gentle drybrush of silver would sort it - should have thought that before I'd painted anything else really :D  Recently I've been drybrushing with silver Rub n Buff and an old style GW Drybrush.  You get a really amazing finish with no streaking!

Dude! That's all you need to do. And frankly, he looks way better than descent for a tabletop model. Be proud of your work!

And don't beat yourself up trying to fight the "Hindsight Monster," we all lose that battle every time. ^^

Give that black a thin line edge highlight on the top part, highlight those straps, and call him done. He'll look fantastic up close!

Post the finished pic of him with the basing and head when you're done! :D

Just now, Lysandestolpe said:

Dude! That's all you need to do. And frankly, he looks way better than descent for a tabletop model. Be proud of your work!

And don't beat yourself up trying to fight the "Hindsight Monster," we all lose that battle every time. ^^

Give that black a thin line edge highlight on the top part, highlight those straps, and call him done. He'll look fantastic up close!

Post the finished pic of him with the basing and head when you're done! :D

Thanks :D  I think we're often our own worse judges!  Currently can't find my Gorthor Brown so might have to do the straps differently to normal!  Head is pretty much sorted to the same level (but on a big blob of blue tac to one side).

I've an evening to myself tonight so hoping to actually get him largely finished tonight.  Will be basing him the same as the rest (rather boring grey).

Pushed the flesh highlights a little and sorted out the texture on the base.  Highlights on the hair underway and need to tidy up the edge of the base, but he'll do for putting on a tabletop this weekend :)  It dawned on me that I was using a different silver for the metallic edge highlighting which probably helps to explain why I wasn't as happy (and they wash out in a photo).

DOJRnw5WkAUyscg.jpg:large

Archived