Mixed order with Hammerhal and Tempest Eye

Myzyrael

Hello fellow Hobbyists,

I’m about to commit a sacrilege. As a player always dedicated to Chaos, especially Tzeentch, I’m a bit tired of spellcasting and shenanigans.

So my mind started wandering and I thought by myself, I’d like to have a mixed order army with some shooting, some melee, a little bit of magic and the typical “human” feeling of being able to do everything but nothing perfect (which in this case might not be true as shooting should somewhat be in focus).

GW offers - as far as I can understand- quite a nice deal with the Firestorm boxes and I thought one box of Hammerhal and one box of Tempest Eye should make up an interesting force, maybe even around 2k already.

But I have a few questions.

First, is the idea of getting these two boxes for one army a good one? No neeed to roflstomp my enemies but something of at least average  strength would be good.

Second, the picture on the website shows 2 units of crossbow men for the Hammerhal box but the description says one unit of swordsmen. Which one is correct?

And, as I don’t have any Order books (yet), are there any battalions one can aim at with these two boxes? Maybe from the storm casts or the dwarfs? My first idea of this army was like having half of the models on the table and the other half coming in as “reserves” to help out the outnumbered friends. But as far is I could find out, the deep striking stuff is limited to specific allegiances?

So if you can help me with my specific questions or have any tips in general, I’d be thankful :)

Hammerhal contains 10 Crossbowmen/Handgunners and 10 Guard (swords, halberds, or spears). You will have enough bits to make a unit of Crossbowmen, then give the Guard handguns for 2 shooting units. Might be the best play, as only 10 Guard (even sword and shield with Mystic Shield backing) will fold pretty easily.

Honestly? It's alright. You lack any REAL heavy hitters, with mostly defensive units. Also, your shooting is kind of low. And, as with any Mixed Order army, the synergy is a bit all over the place. BUT, you will have variety and a mix of decent units.

One more question... I couldn’t resist the urge to buy the Hammerhal box this weekend :D 

With the box comes the allegiance ability, but I was unable to find anything about the items they can take. Is there a list with items in the Firestorm rule book or do they do not get any items? I think the allegiance is quite nice but without generals traits or items it feels like you are missing out some nice addons...

23 hours ago, stratigo said:

You get the base order abilities. The firestorm cities are in addition to the order allegiance. So you get what order does plus what hammerhall does with the testriction of being disallowed the entirety of the order range

Thank you :) for clarification, the base order allegiance ability is replaced with the Hammerhal one but I can use the items and generals traits from the GHB?

On 7.11.2017 at 2:59 AM, stratigo said:

not replaced, added on to. So you still get to reroll battleshocks. Which isn't a particularly amazing allegiance, ...

If you're heading for a msu (multiple small units) styled army made of rather expensive elite models then this might be a really good ability!

Archived