Where to start with chaos

Tom

Speaking of which, my advice would be to look into a particular Skaven Clan or Chaos God.

Wether you like the brute Khorne, cunning Tzeentch, pestilent Nurgle, lustful Slaanesh or massive numbers of the Horned God you can really pick a colour or flavour and go all out.

Unlike 40K and 7th-8th WFB Chaos soup is less of a thing in AoS, possible still but following one in particular is usually cooler.

I would say that it is best to go mono-god/clan in the current game, although if they do not have allegiance rules, it is best to go for the grand alliance chaos rules. 

Start collecting slaves of darkness would be a great starting kit with a secondary box of marurders is a great way to start and provides a descent list to get started with.  

this will give you 2 battleline units regardless of what allegiance you go for. 

Chaos soup (taking a little bit of everything, with different marks etc.) works for two things.  If you are going for a hyper-competitive list, and basically want to cherry pick the most effective and self-reliant units in the entire grand alliance, it works (chaos soup lists of this kind do well in big tournaments).  It's also good if you're primarily a collector and VERY casual gamer who just wants to take stuff they like the look of, because if you don't go the competitive route, you give up both unit optimisation and synergy.

If you want decent effectiveness without limiting yourself to strictly top tier, then Killax is bang on.  Most of the synergy in Chaos is off of sub-faction keywords, and the most effective of those are the 4 gods and certain Skaven clans.

Hi, I'm also taking a first-look into Chaos. I'm a Free People's player, but I've actually got to a point where I've "completed" my army and literally cant squeeze anything else into it on the field (especially now the Free Peoples allegiance ability is pretty good!). I'd like to try something other than Order, and so Chaos has caught my eye.

I was considering getting two big boxes to start me off:

Thunder & Blood (I can use the Stormcasts to bulk out a small force I have to take me to about 1000 points, before turning to Chaos) and the Slaves to Darkness start collecting.

This I believe would give me:

20 Bloodreavers
5 Blood Warriors
1 Khorgorath
1 Bloodstoker
1 Chaos Lord Sorcerer
1 Chaos Chariot
5 Chaos Knights
12 Chaos Warriors (an annoying number as I see they are pointed as 5's!)
Sylath's Warhost Batallion.

Does this seem like a good starting force? Obviously the Slaves to Darkness would align themselves to Khorne. My usual opponents are Dispossessed and mixed-Destruction armies.

I'd ideally not want to spend more than £100 on the starting force (which this equates to), so if anyone has any suggestions of another cost-effective way to start, I'm also all ears!

Yeah go for it, any start collecting box will do for most that are around. The cool thing about Khorne is that it's supported by GW really well and you can only expect more because they are one of the prime Stormcast enemies. Can offcourse change next year :) 

Archived