Help! New to AOS, starting ironjawz

Darkwhippet

Hi all!

have recently decided to get back into the hobby and start playing Age of Sigmar. Have signed up to a local League and am putting together an Ironjawz/Destruction based force, utilising a number of Ogre models I had already.  Can anyone suggest a)best load out for Orruk Brutes and b) general improvements? 

Would love to get either a Stonehorn or Thundertusk soon if they are effective? Or maybe leadbelchers for some ranged attacks?  Looking to stick to 'big' units (I.e. No grots etc, have a large 40k ork horde army and can't face painting that many models again!)

Thanks in advance!

Current list:

Megaboss

Weirdnob Shaman

5 Brutes

5 Brutes

3 Gore Gruntas

6 Ogors

3 Ironguts

2 Mournfang Cavalry

Aleguzzler Gargant 

Welcome!

I have no Iron Jaws but I get my ass kicked by them quite often when I use my Darkling Covens...

Get more Gore Gruntas! 

You will need to have at least one unit with some numbers if you are going to play Matched Play. 20 Ard Boys or something (used to be Black Orcs if you are coming back from Fantasy). Units like that are really hard to shift for most armies so they are good objective holders. 

Monsters and Elites are good for early game scoring but don't last very long a lot of the time. Everything dies in AoS!! 

Thundertusk and Stonehorn are both very strong units. Mawcrusha is pretty solid if you want to stay ironJaws.

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the above and taking time to comment; will check out the post mentioned. 

Had looked at the Ard Boyz, and can't decide on them for a large unit, or more Ogurs for staying power (and less models to paint - I'm trying to get this to be my first fully painted army so no. of models is key).

Had a 1250 point game end of last week and pretty much fielded most of my destruction models listed above (no giant and dropped a unit of brutes) and actually had a comfortable win; pretty much tabled a chaos Nurgle army by turn two, although very much helped by the deployment (units started in the middle and went back diagonally so combat on turn one for both of us).

Gore Gruntas were good, but I was actually quite surprised by how effective the Ogur units were; the basic unit was hard to crunch through, holding units in combat whilst my brutes did the killing  and my Mournfang Cavalry were brutal. Iron guts were also pretty great with a consistent damage output. 

Next game is against an experience and competitive Dispossessed player though so maybe that's be a better test. 

Archived