Which Verminlord to build?

Miller

Hello all! I need some opinions on which version of the Verminlord to build with the plastic GW kit. I have a good sized Skaven army from WFB days, so the split to each clan being a different allegiance has me unsure. I am probably leaning towards Pestilence, but I could really go with any at this point. I have something in the area of:

~200 clanrats

40 Plague Monks

20 storm vermin

10 censer bearers

4 Rat ogors and handlers

2 jezzail teams

warpfire thrower, globadiers, screaming bell and all the old metal heroes. These are all the old cast though and I would probably want to replace the big stuff, as I think the new plastic looks so much better.

So with that said - is there a clear better choice for the Verminlord? I looked at their warscrolls and they didn't seem to radically different, but then I'm not sure how Skaven play in AoS as I've only played against them once, and never played as them. 

The Corrupter & Deceiver are the best looking ones! (aesthetically, not stat lines/abilities) 

Pestilens is quite competitive but maybe not the ideal choice for a first AoS army. Though you will soon figure out how it works if you are an experienced wargamer.

You are probably looking at a grand alliance Chaos army with your current collection of models so I wouldn't worry too much about choosing a sub-faction and just get the one you will enjoy painting

The deceiver is probably the most competitive. His skitterleap is very good and allows for some strategic and competitive play. His -3 rend is also very powerful and good at killing low save heros. Id say following the deceiver, either the warbringer or the warpseer is the next best choice. 

I would avoid the curroptor. Hes not very good. Pestilens is not that competitive actually, and to pull off wins you have to play them perfectly. The curroptor is almost always a weakness and your better off bringing something else  (more monks or anothet catapult probably). 

You dont have to stick to one clan. You can mix them up and use the chaos grand alliance allegiance. I had the same problem choosing a verminlord and didnt want to magnetize. I ended up buying 2 and built 1 as a deceiver and 1 as a warbringer. 

Yeah I was thinking I'll just have to play as Chaos GA.. I was really hoping GHB 2017 would bring the clans together more. Allies helps but it's really the battleline options of the allegiances with good traits and artifacts that is making it difficult for me. I'd really prefer to bring large units of clan rats over monks. 

Thanks for the suggestions, I will probably build as a Deceiver. Most likely I'll also be getting a second one at some point, because the model is just too cool. Also I think I know of a local store that has the Virulent Horde box set at the original MSRP.

16 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

They are not something I am interested in playing but i think they have a lot of potential in the hands of a good player - particularly with the expected shift towards larger units.

Have you guys read this thread? Its a good read. 

Theres also a good thread somewhere on pestilens tactics. 

I have seen the Deciever do great things, and is a great tactical choice. However you may want to save your ally slot for some burgled synergies. In which case there is nothing wrong with a Corruptor. 

For myself I went with the Warbringer. The Death Frenzy spell combined with the Gnaw-gnaw their bones! command ability is a great force multiplyer. It is Verminus only though.

Archived