How can Verminlords be in either of the SKAVEN Allegiances without a SKAVEN Keyword?

Rob Hawkins

Question

I posted this in the rules question coalation thread, but I'll ask here too, in case there's an imediate answer I'm overlooking--

Here's a question regarding the Skaven Allegiances:

Both of the Skaven allegiances are named "SKAVEN PESTILENS" and "SKAVEN SKRYRE."  That would mean that the unit would have to have the keywords for SKAVEN and for PESTILENS or SKRYRE, right?

Since the Verminlords don't have the SKAVEN keyword, that means they can't be part of that Allegiance.  The Corrupror, for example, only has "PESTILENS," not "SKAVEN PESTILENS."  So, is it correct that the only way a Verminlord Corruptor can be in a SKAVEN PESTILENS Allegiance is if it was included as part of the "Virulent Procession" Warscroll Battalion, since the battalion has the SKAVEN PESTILENS keyword, and grants it to its units? 

If you take a "loose" Verminlord Corruptor, it doesn't have the appropriate keywords to be in the SKAVEN PESTILENS allegiance, correct?

4 answers to this question

I feel like this is the same argument as the dumb one about chaos god allegiances.  The writers make assumptions about our comprehension but people get overly technical.

Lets say it this way; are there any other non pestilens units that are also not skaven? Nope.

Is the corrupter listed under skaven pestilens? Yep.

Does he fit into another army? Nope.

So the allegiance is pestilens, and the skaven part is descriptive. Look at the ghb where the official list has it as Clan Pestilens. They basically replaces clan with skaven. That is all. They are synonymous with each other.

Just like how disciples of tzeentch and khorne bloodbound arnt keywords, so is skaven pestilens not a keyword. Just pestilens.

To be more clear they could have listed the alliegence abilities as Clan Pestilens, but it is obviously the same unless you are trying to be overly technical and ****** your opponent. Dont be That Guy.

(Below added in Edit.)

I also wanted to add that if my interpretation is wrong, then Pestilens cannot take the Verminlord Corruptor at all.  Why would GW write a rule that did let you bring the 90 dollar model that is a centerpiece of the army?

At the most, I would say that you could rule that the Corruptor could not take the items or command traits listed in the Allegiance, but also would not break allegiance.  I do not think this is right however. Check the App. In there he is listed under Skaven Pestilens which is again, used as a synonym for CLAN Pestilens. In their own usage the two terms are used interchangeably so why would Chaos be the only faction punished for having fluffy names for their allegiances? And not anyone else?

This is logical and matches the way they explain the rules. Why do people keep trying to be rule dongers about it?

On 29-9-2017 at 6:16 PM, Cerlin said:

Lets say it this way; are there any other non pestilens units that are also not skaven? Nope.

Is the corrupter listed under skaven pestilens? Yep.

Does he fit into another army? Nope.

So the allegiance is pestilens, and the skaven part is descriptive. Look at the ghb where the official list has it as Clan Pestilens. They basically replaces clan with skaven. That is all. They are synonymous with each other.

Just like how disciples of tzeentch and khorne bloodbound arnt keywords, so is skaven pestilens not a keyword. Just pestilens.

To be more clear they could have listed the alliegence abilities as Clan Pestilens, but it is obviously the same unless you are trying to be overly technical and ****** your opponent. Dont be That Guy.

The Verminlords are all unique in their own way and Daemon too. In regards to your own questions, several awners arnt correct.

A corruptor is listed under Skaven Pestilence but indeed the Clan Pestilence seems to be their new design choice name.

A corruptor can be part of a different army, being Nurgle, as he has the Nurgle Keyword aswell.

Skaven isnt really descriptive, you could say its a racial Keyword, like Mortal or Daemon or Mordant etc.

Both Bloodbound and Arcanite are relevant Keywords for units and heroes from Blades of Khorne and Desciples of Tzeentch.

Lastly I agree with your point that it should act as the same for Allegiance reasoning but the way you got to your point arnt examples who hold truth in the game overall. :)

Question in itself has been awnsered though, like the Mortal or Daemon Keyword, Skaven dont really matter as Keyword.

Archived