2K Destruction: Tabled by Sylvaneth yesterday, need some help with what went wrong

Baron_Bathory

Hey guys!

Had an interesting game against the faeries yesterday. As the title belies, it didn't go well for me. The list I used is as follows:

Warboss on Wyvern - 240
- Might is Right
- Battered Talisman
- Choppa & Shield

Savage Warboss - 120
- Battle Brew

Arachnarok - 280
- Catchweb Spidershrine

Huskard on Thundertusk - 380
- Blood Vulture

20 Savage Orruks - 240

10 Savage Orruks - 120

10 Orruks - 90

30 Savage Arrowboys - 360

Kunnin Ruk - 160

My deployment went well, I had resolved before the game that I would kill either the Treelord or the Spirit of Durthu on turn 1, and I had the chance. I deployed the 30 savage archers and the huskard right in front of his Treelord. 2 things went wrong though. The huskard botched is 2+ roll (I'm the only one in the world that can botch a 2+ roll at crunch time) that would have scored an automatic 6 mortal wounds. Also, I stupidly forgot that kunnin ruk requires the boss to be within 10" of the unit that is taking the double action. I deployed him on the other side of the table behind a wall for protection. My mistake. The savage archers put about 4 wounds on him. It was a failed mission. Granted if I would have got that 2+ in the game would have changed drastically. On the right hand front my 20 savage orruks went to capture an objective on his side and proceeded to melt his first unit of dryads. About 5 survived. I had the big stabba attack nearby kurnoth hunters and killed 1.  10 savage orruks captured an objective on my side, 10 regular orruks got the other on my side, 20 savages captured one of his. 4-1 for me first turn.

His turn comes, kurnoth hunters and another unit of dryads come in along with a tree revenant ambush and charge the 20 savages on the right hand front. They kill a bunch of them. Branchwych comes in with in insane spells and further decimates them. On the left hand front the huskard gets 6 wounds on him via kurnoth, durthu spells, and treelord.  He gets the second back to back turn, kills the 20 man savage orruks and the huskard. Treelord and kurnoth hunters on the left front charge 30 arrowboyz and begin the slaughter. I got kind of pissed off at this point and called it. Sure the arachnarok and wyvern hadn't seen combat yet, but even if I pushed the right hand front with them, they wouldn't be able to take out all of his kurnoth hunters, the 2 treelords and everything else.

I'm trying really hard not to whine about the Sylvaneth, but for God's sake every unit has like 20 special rules. The treelord is borderline unkillable. with his 3+ save and healing. Their magic is absurd with dwellers below and 4 spells per turn thanks to the battalion bonus. They have healing spells and resurrection spells. I feel like unless everything was executed perfectly, there was no way to win. I did ****** up on the left hand front with Kunnin Ruk and on the right hand front with not getting my monsters into battle. Also the 2+ failed Huskard ability was infuriating. I don't know. Regardless amazing looking table and good game with great friends. That's the most important part I guess.

Any ideas on what to do next time, minus don't be dumb re: kunnin ruk and keeping your monsters hidden? Is my list flawed or did I just have bad luck?

DvS - 1.jpg

DvS - 2.jpg

DvS - 3.jpg

DvS - 4.jpg

DvS - 5.jpg

DvS - 6.jpg

DvS - 7.jpg

DvS - 8.jpg

DvS - 9.jpg

Who was the general in your army ? 

I would probably say you were lacking something and also it was a case of bad luck with some of the rolls. A Bonesplitterz heavy army benefits from Bonesplitterz wizards, just because the buffs can really boost up what the units role  is. +1 to hit, charge, and run is pretty good in general and gives your Arrowboys a bit more accuracy. The other spells can range from giving them a little extra protection, to getting them into position a little faster, or slowing down enemy units. The problem with that though is that these spells that can target friendly units are pretty much just Bonesplitter only. 

A big cavalry unit might have also been a bit of a help to get into combat and do some damage, again bonesplitterz hand of gork spell can shove them into an enemies face pretty quickly and make them a problem that needs to be delt with. 

I'm no big expert when it comes to gaming, but from the few games i have played it has helped me before. 

18 minutes ago, SolarBur said:

Who was the general in your army ? 

I would probably say you were lacking something and also it was a case of bad luck with some of the rolls. A Bonesplitterz heavy army benefits from Bonesplitterz wizards, just because the buffs can really boost up what the units role  is. +1 to hit, charge, and run is pretty good in general and gives your Arrowboys a bit more accuracy. The other spells can range from giving them a little extra protection, to getting them into position a little faster, or slowing down enemy units. The problem with that though is that these spells that can target friendly units are pretty much just Bonesplitter only. 

A big cavalry unit might have also been a bit of a help to get into combat and do some damage, again bonesplitterz hand of gork spell can shove them into an enemies face pretty quickly and make them a problem that needs to be delt with. 

I'm no big expert when it comes to gaming, but from the few games i have played it has helped me before. 

Hey thanks for the reply! The Wyvern was my general. The Wyvern without the Warboss on it was a proxy for a Huskard on Thundertusk. I left the model at a friend's house.

I didn't know the Boneplitter mages had spells like that. Very cool! They have 2 mages right? Do you know which one has the buff spell? I'll definitely try that next time.

Thanks again!

Just now, Baron_Bathory said:

Hey thanks for the reply! The Wyvern was my general. The Wyvern without the Warboss on it was a proxy for a Huskard on Thundertusk. I left the model at a friend's house.

I didn't know the Boneplitter mages had spells like that. Very cool! They have 2 mages right? Do you know which one has the buff spell? I'll definitely try that next time.

Thanks again!

Actually they have 3 wizards. And they each that their own abilities. The Maniak Weirdnob gives all Bonesplitterz units within 10" i think it is, re-roll 1's to hit. But the rest of the spells come from the Bonesplitterz alliance spell lore. If you take the Bonesplitterz as the main force, you get access to their 6+ against everything save regardless of rend or mortal wounds.

3 minutes ago, SolarBur said:

Actually they have 3 wizards. And they each that their own abilities. The Maniak Weirdnob gives all Bonesplitterz units within 10" i think it is, re-roll 1's to hit. But the rest of the spells come from the Bonesplitterz alliance spell lore. If you take the Bonesplitterz as the main force, you get access to their 6+ against everything save regardless of rend or mortal wounds.

Wowzers! Thanks for the info! I don't think I have enough models to wield Bonesplitter allegiance though. Definitely something to look into for the future.

I'm currently trying to make a ragtag O&G themed destruction list work at the moment. Proving to be a bit of a task. Have to get back to some number crunching.

1 minute ago, Baron_Bathory said:

Wowzers! Thanks for the info! I don't think I have enough models to wield Bonesplitter allegiance though. Definitely something to look into for the future.

I'm currently trying to make a ragtag O&G themed destruction list work at the moment. Proving to be a bit of a task. Have to get back to some number crunching.

Well glad i could help. Hope you manage to get some good games in and find your footing with your style of army ^^

Archived