Crooked dice

Greasygeek

Hi all

Normally I do not care for these things but lately it has come to my attention that some of the dice released by GW tend to be broken.. or maybe I just experienced a constant series of bad luck.

Please strap on your tinfoil hats and share your dice experiences.

I got myself a load of campaign released Nurgle Dice (death world green, with a icon replacing 1 and a 7 replacing the 6) rewarded for spending lots of money at my local warhammer store. Feeding my geeky OCD I would be the only one to use these dice whenever I played. That was the start of a constant stream of bad luck roll of 1's. Battleshock being the only phase for a desperate comeback.

After 10+ games I decided to scrap the dice and when I told about my experience to my guy at the store he told me that they had a similar design for khorne dice and another guy has had the same experience that I had..

So now I can't help but wonder if it was just a unlucky batch of dice or if one should stay away from campaign dice in general also including those sold in sets of 20 dice theemed for armies (like the new Deathguard dice that went up for preorder yesterday).

Let it be said that the (maybe) broken dice I got was in a poor quality. Not engraved and some of the pips fell of after a few games.

What is your dice experience? 

My experience with dice who are very creative (and more there for asthethic reasons) is that they are indeed not balanced out well. Better put it's very likely that these creative dice do not have the same roll result option from 1 to 6 as some other dice have.

Now while I have also used expensive, balanced out, poker dice in the past I think that in general your better with dice who try to emulate a regular dice shape as much as possible. Especially with D6 all I can say is the more square they are, the better. 

The moral here is that especially with geometric shapes there isn't too much you can creatively do with them without messing up the likely sides they land on. Keep them for wounds, objective points, Allegiance counts or Artefact markings and you should still have a great use for them :) 

it's stupid that for tzeentch and nurgle the symbol is on the 1... I'm tempted to overpaint the normal 6 dots on the 6, which leaves the centre point as a 1, so the symbol represents the 6. but don't know if this will mess with the dices^^

however, I noticed a lot of symbols (1) on lots of my tzeentch dices when I roll them, too...

khorne is great, especially since the symbol is on the 6^^

You can check this by floating the dice in some water. Add salt for buoyancy if needed. If your dice aren't showing random-ish results, they're weighted one way or the others.

Chances are the fancy dice are weighted a bit wrong. It's hard to make custom dice also roll evenly. Might not even be a priority for GW.

This is an old article but still quite interesting. I don't think much will have changed with GW's dice since it was written as my dice from 20 years ago look exactly the same as the new ones do. Also those new Death Guard dice look like they would be terrible for rolling. 

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?65531-Do-you-roll-a-lot-of-1s-A-40k-must-read

9 minutes ago, tea_wild_owl said:

currently there are new dices at gw when you purchase enough. khorne, with the symbol on the 6 :) but they do not look as good as yours ^^

20170910_155829.png

Ah yeah thanks! Had no idea there where more official GW Khorne dice. Well I like the logo but otherwise dont think they are great to be used.

In any case though if you think dice are generally poor I think you shouldn't think your crazy! Its common to see dice not be really random, it's actually more rare that they are and specifically produced for that reason. 

Archived