New Skaven player need advice for lists.

Sunstrider

Hello, 

I'm no stranger to GW games, I have been out of the hobby for the better part of 8-9 years and Age of Sigmar brought me back in. 

In regards to list building, I'm going with Verminus as my main focus I have a block of 20 Stormvermin. 

My question is this, is it better to have 4 groups of 20 clanrats or 2 big groups of 40?

Your thoughts.

Disclaimer: I'm also relatively new, 

But large units of 40 allow for:

-lower point cost per model

-less unit "drops" on deployment to help you get the who-goes-first decision 

- longer enjoyment of the +1 hit/wound abilities granted by >= 20/30 models

-bravery bonuses

- more models benefited by a unit buff like Gnash Gnaw or Inspiring Presence

It appears to me that unless there's some tactical need, larger units are clearly the way to go (particularly for Skaven) 

You are best off with large groups of clanrats whenever possible, because of the buffs you get from being in a large group - same goes for stormvermin, however the limiting factor is ally points available and low bravery. So you pretty much need a grey seer as general, but I think you will lose your verminus allegiance when he's a general.

Also if you want to field something like Stormfiends and other support, you pretty much need to be under the chaos allegiance, which can kind of tricky, considering it'll suck up points quickly. A warlord on brood horror (perhaps even 2) is kind of mandatory to stop your army from running away due to its bravery buff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

It depends on the scenario I think, but 2 units of 40 I reckon. We line ours up with rusty blades up front and spears at back. (General is a warlord for gnash gnaw ability)

agreed on the grey seer. His vermintide spell, 26" range against a big unit of say 40. You would roll 40 dice and does a mortal wound on a six. (Try it out and see how many sixes you get) Considering that most big units you'll face will have 1 wound models it's a decent choice although it'll make him a target once your opponent loses a few models.

5 hours ago, Lezlor said:

We line ours up with rusty blades up front and spears at back

In the same unit? Is this legal? I always read 'some units are equiped with....' as you can only field the entire unit with one set-up. 

and re-reading it i'm pretty sure i'm right. Love to be wrong though ;)

Some units can be equiped with different weapons but those warscrolls are very clear. A good obvious example are ironjawz brutes. Clanrats are not one of those units. A unit of spears must have all spears. 

Maybe he means put a second unit of spears behind a unit with handweapons? Spears can reach from 3 ranks back as they have 2 inch range. 

On 9/22/2017 at 2:13 AM, Flood said:

Some units can be equiped with different weapons but those warscrolls are very clear. A good obvious example are ironjawz brutes. Clanrats are not one of those units. A unit of spears must have all spears. 

Thought so 

On 9/22/2017 at 2:13 AM, Flood said:

Maybe he means put a second unit of spears behind a unit with handweapons? Spears can reach from 3 ranks back as they have 2 inch range. 

Maybe, but a 40 man screen is a bit unwieldy, so if you play it like that I think I would go 2x20. But that's me .

Archived