Best Hobby Knife?

Zhorphorus

I have always, always used the razor knives where a thumb-pad lets you click out a retractable segmented blade, and you can break off the 1/4 inch sections as they dull or the point breaks off.

They are super cheap and the blades come in five packs for a couple bucks, and last forever as you can use them right down to the end.

I prefer the ones that use the thinner blade, like the bottom two in the image.  Plus, the length of the blade lets you work easily with styrofoam board for terrain.

61UrbPfCRYL._SX355_.jpg

Just get an Xacto No. 1 knife and a pack of No. 11 blades. You can get them from Amazon - a pack of 100 blades will cost around $10 USD, and that should last you for a long time. While you're at it, get a pair of side cutters for removing the parts from the sprue. I use the Xuron - 2175ET Professional Sprue Cutter, but you can get a cheaper pair. Just don't buy from GW, as their tools are pretty much overpriced.

I've used Swann-Morton scalpels for years and would never go back to one of the other brands.  If you ever go to a GW Open Day you'll see a lot of the sculptors using them too.

Recently I've picked up some retractable handles (just makes it a bit safer if you're clumsy or have pets/children), which tend to be around £8/£9 (in fairness I've seen them for £5), the regular handles you can pick up for around £3/£4.

Blade wise, I use either a 15A or 10A.  The 15A has a shorter edge but a more acute angle, whereas the 10A is a much longer edge and shallower angle.

I would put links, but there are dozens of places you can pick them up in the UK (including many pharmacies).  I tend to buy blades in boxes of 100.

swann-morton-retractaway.jpg

On 4.9.2017 at 9:54 PM, Aegisgrimm said:

I have always, always used the razor knives where a thumb-pad lets you click out a retractable segmented blade, and you can break off the 1/4 inch sections as they dull or the point breaks off.

They are super cheap and the blades come in five packs for a couple bucks, and last forever as you can use them right down to the end.

I prefer the ones that use the thinner blade, like the bottom two in the image.  Plus, the length of the blade lets you work easily with styrofoam board for terrain.

61UrbPfCRYL._SX355_.jpg

I use this kind of knife too, except I went for a bit higher quality one with a really slim metal body. Still cost less than 10 € and came with enough blades to last me a lifetime.

Yeah, that was just a crappy example pic.  I suppose if I had to be more in-depth, I only use one that has a metal throat around where the blade comes out that Ive had for years and years (stores extra blades, too).  Otherwise the blade wiggles all over, and with especially crappy ones, any downward cutting force actually jams it up into the split between the two-piece body.  But the one I like has been used to cut through tough stuff, like when Stegadons used to be metal, tough.

Archived