Open Play Allegiance Abilities?

Darksider

As the title says, can i use the allegiance ablities and artefacts in open play? I can't find anything in the book or maybe i haven't found it yet ;).

We play with points, but without restrictions for battleline, monsters etc. So i think the abilities can be used as we wish?

6 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Yes you can. They're not part of Matched Play exclusively but rather an addition to the whole game (with a separate section in the GHB and everything)

In fact I decree that you must use them, cos they're great. 

Thank you very much for your anwer =). Thought they are for matched play only, as they are in the back of the book, where matched play is explained.

Thanks man, i know that you can do everything in open play, but we like to play with some rules (rules of one and also points, cause you can balance your games better). Some of us like to play lots of monsters and nobody likes to spam hordes. (even tough the new edition is pushing horde metas in matched play)

How do you play your open play games? =)

Here are some armies i play against.

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts

Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist (400)
- General
- Trait: Completely Delusional
- Artefact: Blood River Chalice

Behemoths
Zombie Dragon (300)
Zombie Dragon (300)

Total: 1000/1000

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts

Leaders
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist (400)
- General
- Trait: Completely Delusional
- Artefact: The Flayed Pennant

Behemoths
Zombie Dragon (300)
Zombie Dragon (300)
Terrorgheist (300)

Battalions
Royal Menagerie (110)

Total: 1410/1500

Would you play against that or do you find them to hard? I also have to mention that i play chaos and also sometimes field lots of monsters ;).

You can choose to use the Allegiance Abilities or not. I recommend starting out without them and introducing them after a few games.

I usually play Open Play games with New Players. Usually just a Start Collecting set vs part of my Khorne or Stormcast armies. Or I'm lending one of my armies to someone to face me with. But sometimes at the local store we play bigger games where we just put everything we have on the table and go all out, or only 3 of us will show up and we pair up 2 vs 1 against whoever has the biggest army.  Now with the new Open War cards our Open Play games will be even more fun. 

@Darksider I tend to approach AoS as a whole with a Jeet Kune Do approach, "absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own" (I do like a Bruce Lee quote).   That said having a common framework with your fellows to do this is important. 

To be honest you seem to be doing this already with how  the match play points. I don't see anything unreasonable with the lists shown, they look like a laugh, of course a lot depends on the battleplans being used as to how fun a build is. Monster mash lists are just the sort of thing open play is for. 

In my experience Open play represents the two ends of the spectrum with it being how absolute beginners start in wargaming (generally) and what experienced gamers come back to once they have become very comfortable with how it all works. 

I like your quote ;).

Yeah we only use points, rules of one and play with the new open war cards (they are really awesome).  Monster Mash armies are really cool, i like them a lot and i love to play against them. The games are most of the time faster, as when we play some horde units.

On 9/1/2017 at 4:37 AM, Ollie Grimwood said:

In my experience Open play represents the two ends of the spectrum with it being how absolute beginners start in wargaming (generally) and what experienced gamers come back to once they have become very comfortable with how it all works. 

I've been playing Warhammer (40k and Fantasy) for nearly 14 years and I have to say I completely agree. I actually had this epiphany just a couple days ago.

Two friends and I decided to play a Triumph &Treachery game and we were halfway through the game before I realized that none of us ever asked about points level or restrictions. We just grabbed what we wanted and played.

The game turned out to be incredibly fun in spite of (some would say) it's freeform nature. This has just been how we've playing lately (at least the last 12 months) and we just sort of stepped into it. Probably not much help for others trying to get friends into Open Play but there you have it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31-8-2017 at 5:52 PM, Darksider said:

s the title says, can i use the allegiance ablities and artefacts in open play? I can't find anything in the book or maybe i haven't found it yet ;)

Although it's a good question, I still had to laugh. To me the whole concept of open play is do whatever you want with it. So if you like the rules of one (which are in the matched play section i think) use them, same for abilities, traits, siege rules, you own rules. As Nike would say; just do it! 

Archived