Celestial Hurricanum GHB17

MrCharisma

With the Celestial Hurricanum increasing to 380pts (formerly 320), I'm questioning the unit which used to be an auto-include.

So...

If you're running an allegiance, is the Hurricanum worth your only Ally choice (in a 2k army)?

If you're running a Mixed Order army, is the Hurricanum worth just under 1/5th of your army? 

I'd love to retain the +1 to casting but I'm skeptical that I'll need +1 hit if I'm increasing the number of models in a unit through Massive Regiments.  The Battlemage spell is useful and the Storm of Shemtek is unreliable with the amount of wounds it can put out.

I'd love your thoughts and rational 

Allies...eh, maybe for sylvaneth still? Can they still take it? The problem is that the factions that get the most out of it can't allie with it.

For general order, Darkling covens still lpve it with their almost universally terrible hit rolls and for Pheonix armies it's an A tier choice just shy of an auto-include

Isn't that a vuluable ally in an Aetherstrike Force? :o

Lets imagine the usual Build with 9 Crossbows, 1520 points, add the 320 point guy (in my book it is still at 320 points) plus an extra judicator unit and tadaaaa 2000 points fair and square!

Only 3 heroes, no close combat options but DAKKAAAA! (and Mortal wounds on 5')

4 hours ago, MrCharisma said:

With the Celestial Hurricanum increasing to 380pts (formerly 320), I'm questioning the unit which used to be an auto-include.

Honestly, I think that's the idea behind a lot of the point choices. When nothing is an auto-include, everything becomes a potential choice.

The problem with the GHB 2016 is that you had to break your Alliance to take one. Now you can get it as ally (at least for Sigmarines, Freepeople and flagellants), which is something to consider.

Sure you get that extra crispy +1 to hit, but now you can also get that nice Mystic shield on your golden boys while keeping your fancy prayers and mirroshields.

4 hours ago, Burf said:

Allies...eh, maybe for sylvaneth still? Can they still take it? The problem is that the factions that get the most out of it can't allie with it.

For general order, Darkling covens still lpve it with their almost universally terrible hit rolls and for Pheonix armies it's an A tier choice just shy of an auto-include

Sylvaneth can take it with one of their battalions that specifies "1x Order Wizard", they don't need to use their ally points on it in that case. In a list without that Battalion, they cannot ally with it. 

4 hours ago, kozokus said:

The problem with the GHB 2016 is that you had to break your Alliance to take one. Now you can get it as ally (at least for Sigmarines, Freepeople and flagellants), which is something to consider.

Sure you get that extra crispy +1 to hit, but now you can also get that nice Mystic shield on your golden boys while keeping your fancy prayers and mirroshields.

Stormcast can't afford to take it tbh. We struggle getting bodies on the table as it is.

Im still considering it in a list (free peoples), if you're taking a wizard then that covers 100 points of it. The mortal wound output is too good and id have to do the maths on the 280 points mortal wounds vs. 280 of great company... Playing free peoples i can't see doing anything but great companies.

So many options! I've also thought about the CH with darkling covens executioners making the mortal wounds a 5+, any thoughts?

18 minutes ago, Burf said:

Stormcast can't afford to take it tbh. We struggle getting bodies on the table as it is.

Who care having bodies? Peoples are playing Stardrake for a years and win with that :P .

On the other side having +1 to hit on ranged attacks is something rather unique that SCE miss.

I think it's too expensive now. It basically takes up all of your ally points in a 2000 point army. The opportunity cost of taking it is just huge. 

The other build of that kit, the Luminark is actually looking really appealing. Bubble out a 6+ ward save, +1 to unbind, big gun that does 6 damage, and the wizard's spell scales up with the unit size of the target, which seems really good in the new meta. And it gives you another 160 points of room for allies in a 2k army. 

I've been running the Luminark for 6 months now and have found it incredibly valuable. It provides me a greater ability to counter punch against armies with special deployment, and the 30" shot is brutal for character sniping. 

I recently ran a Frostheart Phoenix which was impressive. I'm thinking about switching out the Hurricanum and including the Phoenix along with the Luminark... then use the rest of the points for Massive Regiments. 

I reckon for your list its still an Auto include. 

However, for mixed Order, with alot of armies Shooting got more powerful. If they can ally with it, then yeah Auto include +1 to hit without taking damned is probably the best for mixed order. As Order don't have a mortal wound ward save unlike the other 3 factions. So it's still up there, the point increase was due to alot of combinations such as Hurricanum + Kurnoths was a thing in mixed order lists which both got a point increase to make it less powerful. So yeah it still has its place.

18 minutes ago, Okami said:

I reckon for your list its still an Auto include. 

However, for mixed Order, with alot of armies Shooting got more powerful. If they can ally with it, then yeah Auto include +1 to hit without taking damned is probably the best for mixed order. As Order don't have a mortal wound ward save unlike the other 3 factions. So it's still up there, the point increase was due to alot of combinations such as Hurricanum + Kurnoths was a thing in mixed order lists which both got a point increase to make it less powerful. So yeah it still has its place.

I'll send you my list via FB and you can see my thinking. I might test it at Games Cube this month... or next month if I need to play with Destruction for MOAB.

Archived