Any easy-but-effective Stomcast color schemes?

DanielFM

Hey fellow sigmarites,

After painting a whole Stormcast army in non-metallic-metals (as well as I could :D )I would really like to replace several of my models with new ones, and use a relatively easy but visually striking scheme. You know, the kind of paintjob that makes you feel like you are cheating: it gets all the looks and compliments but didn't require that much effort.

Do you have this kind of recipes? Any trick you would like to share? I'm particularly interested in colored metallic (metallic red, metallic blue...) but I'm open to any other.

Thanks!

Well the easiest way to do coloured metallics would be base coat metal (might as well spray them) then build up thin layers of coloured washes. I haven't tried myself but you could even highlight a darker metal basecoat with silver, then when you do the washes you've already got the lights and darks.

11 minutes ago, swiftmus said:

Well the easiest way to do coloured metallics would be base coat metal (might as well spray them) then build up thin layers of coloured washes. I haven't tried myself but you could even highlight a darker metal basecoat with silver, then when you do the washes you've already got the lights and darks.

Good idea! I guess different bases (steel, gold) could be combined with different shades/glazes for different results. I'm curious about red-orange shades over Retributor Armor spray (to save a lot of time :D ). Nice idea about the pre-shading, too. Drybrushing metals is a bit tricky but can be done.

I wonder if Spiritstone Red would give too much of a shiny look.

You can also blend different coloured washes together using that method, for example I did some Space Marine scouts in the style of the Alpha Legion models from Forgeworld. So over a metal base I was washing blue from the bottom of each armour plate to the top (so that more blue pools towards the bottom halves) and then in between the blue layers I did layers of green starting from the top of the plates and working about 75% down. With multiple layers (about 3 of each colour) the final result is an almost pearlescent effect which looks more green or blue depending on the angle you look at them.

1 hour ago, swiftmus said:

You can also blend different coloured washes together using that method, for example I did some Space Marine scouts in the style of the Alpha Legion models from Forgeworld. So over a metal base I was washing blue from the bottom of each armour plate to the top (so that more blue pools towards the bottom halves) and then in between the blue layers I did layers of green starting from the top of the plates and working about 75% down. With multiple layers (about 3 of each colour) the final result is an almost pearlescent effect which looks more green or blue depending on the angle you look at them.

That sounds great, but maybe beyond the original idea of easy paintjobs? :D

It depends on what you are looking for, there are sveral techniques to cheat your way to glory :D

- you can sprey the gold color and then just go with coelhia greenshade and druchii violet for color variations, or you can go for a more weathered loog, like bronze base color, then a quick Druchii Violet wash and  finallly Nikhilah Oxyde wash, so your stormcasts look like bronze statues (I did that on my models and it wokrs perfectly in lesss than 5min) :D

Archived