Age of Squigmar

Dangermouse425

For those amongst you who love all things Squiggy, you'll be pleased to know I have been convinced to take the following army to Bristol Smash this weekend.

2 x Moonclan Warboss on Giant Cave Squig
15 x Squig Hoppers
27 x Cave Squigs
6 x Grot Squig Herders
4 x Mangler Squigs
1 x Colossal Squig
1 x Magma Dragon Squig

20160604_113850_zpsmxhrvxvf.jpg

My first match-up is against a Stormcast army with 2 x Tellyporta Banners, 10 x Retributors and 2 x Bastiladons, amongst other things. 

I'm doomed. The Squigs will be victorious!*

I'll report back with how things go and will post a few WIP pics this week as I make final preparations for the event.

DM

*I'm doomed.

Fascinating list! Let us know how it goes!

The Colossal Squig is pretty great on paper (I've not seen one in the wild), I imagine you simply want to rocket it at the center of mass of your opponent's army. While they are panicking trying to deal with it, set all the other squig units up for the charges you want. 

So you've gone Moonclan but not taken fanatics - and you've drawn Stormcast Eternals - oh the irony. A wasted opportunity to deploy the best hard counter to the banners and Skyborne ******. I'm sure you're army will look amazing and be good fun though - may your 2D6 movements be high!!!

Is the Magma Squig being used as a Magma Dragon? If so, it's an absolute beater against Stormcast. The ranged attack is just as strong after it has taken 19 wounds - If you can smack 2D6 mortal wounds onto a unit of 10 Paladins, that will be fun.

Loyal Squig followers, rejoice! I bring news of recent engagements.

Task-force Squig was unleashed upon the realms at Bristol Smash 2016 - a two day event using the Clash comp system. Five games were played using armies of 20 pool, out of a total 30.

The Age of Squigmar Begins! 

Game 1

My first game was against Marc Wilson from the South East London Warlords gaming club. Marc was running a Stormcast Eternals list with a Slann in support.  The Squigs deployed tactically, knowing that every arrow shot from those pesky bows was at -1 Rend, ignoring their usual 6+ save.

20160604_094148_zpsltwkmetu.jpg

The Advance

Being Squigs though, the thought of getting to grips with the enemy was too much, and the Cave Squigs launched themselves at the Stormcast archers on both flanks, both teams of 9 Cave Squigs were accompanied by a lone Mangler Squig on each flank. Sadly however they advanced without the expected support of the other two Mangler Squigs, the Colossal Squig and the third unit of Cave Squigs.

"Why?" I hear you ask. I shall tell you why, dear readers. A unit of 10 pesky Retributors had teleported in behind the army and engaged half the force, locking them in a combat that was to last three player turns.

The Importance of Teamwork 

Without the appropriate levels of support from their Squiggy friends, the two flank teams quickly fell to the brutal hail of arrows and bolts from the Stormcast Eternals. The game slowly ended as all the Squigs did impressive impressions of pin cushions, roaring in frustration at not being able to nom those tasty metallic snacks lined up against them.

In Death, Victory

All was not lost though! My opponent had forgotten his Slann model, so I gave him a Squig to proxy with. So, whilst my army may have lost, a Squig had successfully impersonated a Slann and could therefore the Squigs could claim a moral victory in game 1!

20160604_103636_zpszeeqgtvy.jpg

Result: 20-0 to Marc and his Stormcast Eternals + Slann

21 hours ago, Shane said:

What's the base paint/effect you use?

The bases were done really quickly in order to get ready for tournaments so are purely Rhinox Hide as a base/rim and then loads of Agrellan Earth (the technical crackle paint) on top. I need to go back to them and black rim the bases whilst adding tufts and debris one day...

1 minute ago, Shane said:

I like that simplistic effect. The mat I play on is stone/cracked earth/dark grass. I might use a similar technique, but add small stones and grass tufts.

Thanks. I plan to go back to the bases and add some tufts too. I think it'll add a bit more interest to the bases, especially the larger ones like the Mangler and Colossal Squigs.

Archived