Question about move: Can I move back to original position?

Aeonotakist

Question

SE Starfrake has a trait called stormed wings, if the drake pass something in movement phase, he can split some ****** and deal D3 MW.

Now I have a question, if some enemy unit is 4' away from me, can I move forward 5' and back 5' so landed exactly the same place as before but claim I have passed the unit?

10 answers to this question

This is fine as long as you have enough movement to do it, would be a good idea to explain to your opponent what you are doing and double check measurements. In Battle plans like places of power you would have counted as moving off the objective so your count will restart at one.

Just remember, you still need to keep 3" away from enemies during your normal move. So if the enemy unit was 4" away, you would have to move 7" over them, and then 7" back.

This isn't true. You just need to end the move 3" away. It's especially not true for units that can fly.

If it were true, it would be impossible to retreat, as you would be moving while within 3" of the enemy.

9 minutes ago, Nico said:

This isn't true. You just need to end the move 3" away. It's especially not true for units that can fly.

If it were true, it would be impossible to retreat, as you would be moving while within 3" of the enemy.

Actually the rules state that you may not move within 3" of enemy models in the movement phase. Retreating is the exception to the rule. 

For thus situation, it doesn't matter due to the Flying keyword. 

19 minutes ago, Nico said:

Ending the move 3" away, is still having to move 7" each direction, if the enemy is 4" away.

Of course, chances are that enemy unit will be at least 1" deep and most likely more than that, thereby needing to move even more than 7" each way.

1 hour ago, Nico said:

Nico is definitely right about this. You have to remember that although it is true that you cannot move within 3 inches of an enemy during the movement phase, some rules override this rule. 

For instance, the skaven doom wheel explicitly states that it can move within 3 inches of enemy models but must end its move 3 inches away. While rolling over enemy models, it inflicts D3 mortal wounds. This is another instance where you can use the strategy outlined in the OP.

In the case of flying in regards to the question in the OP, flying is the special rule that overrides the requirement to stay 3 inches away from enemy models, as models with flying can "pass across models and scenery as if they were not there" so long they end their movement 3" away from enemy units. 

So no, you don't have to move 7" in each direction. You only need to move 5" forward + 5" back, for a total of 10". 

See "flying" below. 

Screenshot_20170804-081357.png

5 minutes ago, Choombatta said:

I see what you guys are saying.

The model is not moving over the unit, and landing. Then moving back over the unit and landing.

You are saying it is "in flight" the whole move.

Yeah, exactly. :)

Archived