Can Carrion Invincibly Deny An Objective In "Gift from the Heavens"?

themortalgod

Question

I was reading the rules for carrion today and realized there is nothing in their rules that says that can't hold or deny an objective while still high in the skies. Which suggests to me that for scenarios where all you need is a model within 6" of it to deny your opponent the objective. (Such as in gift from the heavens) a unit of carrion could fly over the battlefield and just hover over the objective, completely invincible from any enemy attacks making it impossible for the opponent to gain VPs from their objective. 

Seems like pretty brutal cheese to me, but was wondering if I was correct in my interpretation?

8 answers to this question

They're ignored for movement purposes, but yeah. They're a warscroll that predates objectives - So there's nothing that says they can't, but it'd be highly illogical if they could.
But I'd strongly recommend anyone trying it wears a cup.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, BaldoBeardo said:

They're ignored for movement purposes, but yeah. They're a warscroll that predates objectives - So there's nothing that says they can't, but it'd be highly illogical if they could.
But I'd strongly recommend anyone trying it wears a cup.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

LOL! I'm really surprised GW didn't FAQ them saying they can't hold objectives while high in the sky, seems like something top tier competitives might run in the sideboard or summoning pool so for a near auto win on that mission.

2 hours ago, Squirrelmaster said:

Just to note: Carrion aren't 100% untouchable by strict RAW when flying high — they can still be hit by area-of-effect spells, by artefacts (so long as they aren't granting "attacks" or "abilities"), and by other rules such as banners (e.g. Tzaangors' Icon Bearers).

The RAW state that they cannot be affected by attacks or abilities of any kind. It isn't just a restriction on targeting. Thus AOE style effects still wouldn't impact them.

@themortalgod My understanding is that (in AoS) "attacks", "spells", and "abilities" are three distinct concepts with specific meaning. For example, Arcane Bolt is a spell, not an attack or an ability.

If it has a weapon profile, it's an "attack". If it has a casting value, it's a "spell". If it is listed under the "Abilities" section of a warscroll, it's an "ability". 

Carrion cannot be attacked, targeted with spells, or affected by abilities, while flying high. That means they can still be affected by spells that don't target, and affected by anything else that isn't an attack, spell, or ability (such as artefacts and icons).

I probably wouldn't try this in an actual game, but if we're discussing potential RAW-abuses…

Archived