Water Effect Help

Hi guys, I know this isn't strictly AoS still but I imagine this kind of thing is pretty helpful universally

I want to do some slime coming out of this pipe on the base, and I want to know your HOT TIPS (that preferably involve me spending less than £15 on a block of E-Z water)

WlBTmt3.jpg

I don't want it looking like high pressure, just enough to give the impression of a slow ffetid flow into a shallow pool with a ripple (I might even make a better basin with cork and have a Nurgling taking a bath)

As long as you don't need semi-clear / coloured clear effect, then PVA glue is your friend. Use either a little greenstuff, or some twisted paper to give a basic structure to the flow, and liberally coat with PVA glue, letting it flow out and down your guiding part.

If you want the semi-clear / coloured clear effect, then pick up a sample sized pot of the water effect, let it dry slightly before applying so it's tacky, and then slowly build it up from the pipe, downwards.

I watched a video a month or so ago in which the chap built a waterfall. He used pva and a plastic sheet. Paint the pva onto the sheet in strips (width as required) and once dried peel of the sheet and apply with glue. Youvcan even make it thicker in places to give it a more natural look.
Bit of an experiment but if you want a coloured translucent finish try mixing a shade wash into the glue. It might work.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 18.08.2017 at 3:17 PM, DynamicCalories said:

Apologies mods for non-AoS content but I just wanted to share the basing that I did as I am sure it could be useful for other people.

gLxcPBp.jpg

If anyone is interested I can explain the process!

Yes, please. It looks really cool and would be nice for skaven bases.

Cool! So the base is cork layers covered with astrogranite, and drybrushed.

The ooze is basically Vallejo water effects mixed with Elysian. I found the past way to approach it was with thin layers, each time adding in a bit of seraphim sepia whilst it was still wet, to add some depth. I ended up doing three layers in total with green mixed in, reducing the green each time, and one final layer that was clear. Whilst drying I covered the model in a light plastic bag to stop dust from accumulating. 

The pouring effect was added after layer one had dried. I poured some of the mix onto a flat plastic surface (the underside of a pallet I'd used ages ago) and let it dry. Then I cut it off with a modelling knife and cut some strips out. It's very fiddly, but I basically cut a thinker one than I wanted, then bent it to a C shape to give it some volume, and super glued it to the base and the pipe - I was quite forceful because I wanted the bend to be act a little like water and not be a uniform thin slice. I then layered it up with Nurgle's Rot and ran a big blo of  Seraphim Sepia down it, before continuing on to the rest of the layering. Very time intense, given all the drying stages, but lots of fun!

Archived