Old WHFB player coming back

BaronBanana

I like to write, so if you want to get to the point, it's near the bottom by itself. 

A couple of friends of mine decided to pick of fantasy again.  Before I decided to jump back in, I wanted to research how GW was doing as a company as a whole since I heard a new CEO was in place.  From people I knew that either destroyed or threw their fantasy stuff away on the original AoS announcement, they said they were having a blast.  Me being me and the Fyreslayer Star Collecting! box being just announced, I'd give it another go.   I've always liked Dwarfs, had a slayer army from the Storm of Chaos book. 

I was pretty set on slow building the dwarves until I saw the TW: Warhammer Norsca trailer.  Let me preface this.  I had two armies I absolutely loved from 4th/5th Those into 8th, before I sold them from hating the rules.  A broken lizardmen army and a Norsca based marauder WoC army that were monster hunters to prove themselves worthy.  I even had the FW Chaos Mammoth.  I love the Norsca lore and the TW:W trailer brought back such good memories and gave me a great nostalgia.

The Point  - Two parter.  One, has AoS ever taken elements from TW:W and put them into the game?  Two, is a Norsca Marauder Monster list possible in the current state of the game?

Of course it is. Won't be top tier but can win some games.

The mammoth in particular is fairly strong, trolls are decent, skin wolves are really good, marauders can be op in high numbers. Throgg and wulfrick unfortunately are not that good (between the two throgg is more useful imho).

However i am pretty sure that aos didn't take anything from tww. Maybe it will one day.

Trailer is sick isn't it. 

No and yes btw.

Creative assembly are given the rights to make certain things in total war, these rights are 8th edition. It's why you won't see kislev as a faction, but I could be wrong.

But, for a narrative army or themed army I really like idea of norsca. It's a shame mammoths are impossible to get , its probably not very competitive and winning games will be hard 

I'm not a tournament player anymore.  I'm not that old, but those days are way behind me.  The trailer was pretty baller and just incredibly nostalgic.  Dependng on proxy rules, mammoth won't be too difficult.   Got that mumakil.  The hard part will be finding suitable replacements for marauders.  They really, really are showing their age

Play which faction/setup you love - ****** the meta.  There are a lot of untested waters in AoS still, even a year or so after the General's Handbook and Battletome releases.

Based on current rules for AoS, the Chaos War Mammoths synergize insanely well with chaos Maraduers.  There are a few routes to go, imo: Nurgle/Khorne marked Marauders for the buffs.  Play it as a horde army, and the mammoths will allow all Marauders within range to move +D6" in hero phase... take 3 Chaos War Mammoths and that's +3d6" BEFORE you do your regular movement.  Using buffing units for extra saves (Nurgle) or extra attacks (Khorne), boosted by a Chaos Warshrine, you will have a sea of Marauders moving very quickly and either acting like a tarpit on objectives, or a very killy horde.

Be sure to check out mono-Mortals Blades of Khorne, too. Bloodreavers look the way Marauders should have, and I'm painting mine in nice, dark, dirty colors and snow bases- Norsc all the way.

That said, as a Fyreslayer player first and foremost, I think you should totally pick naked mohawk stunties ;)

- Alex

Downside of 3 Chaos War Mammoths is...  buying them, hahaha.  Mumakil's are always an option.  I did read the rules and they same way cooler than before.  Unfortunately, I just don't like any of the marauder esque models, I'll either buck up and find something else or just deal with the strangely dumb looking models (for GWs quality).

Archived