Etc 2017

I suspect an ETC-like event, similar to the London event mentioned will surface. Don't see any particular reason for the need to be part of the traditional ETC event to be honest now. Other than maybe the chance to play AoS in Serbia/Poland/wherever which would be sweeeet. A clean break was made, and a pure AoS team event could stand alone no problem I suspect.

I was part of the Scottish 6N team, and that event was fantastic for the first time being run. Definitely room for improvement in the tournament pack (listen to the Facehammer episode on it for a good summary).

I am better than this, and dont want start a flagrant discussion, someone said before all these about the low strategy on AOS and I responded proprely. I say my opinion because I think he's wrong and compared with the game who someother said is better thab AOS.

For me AOS is easier, but deeper than other games too. But you people insist on this....

You have your opinion, well ok.

I have a diferrent experiencie of the situation and about the games (both of them).

Maybie you dont come to the same event cause we are 50 teams of 2 players every team. For me that was 200 people, not 12.... I can't remember now the year but was 8 edition.

I not searching this, but if someone say someting good about AOS having better apects we finish at same point as ALWAYS.

I see, I can't say good thinks about why I think AOS is a good and better game in a lot of aspect... Even in TGA forum... 

If I say the same as you and others said, but in other forums...

Now i'm very happy about the new spirit of the growing communnity, is good for the community. I'm going to help this new players, because they don't have anyone supporting him, and my hobby experiecie is going to get improved with it too.

@Scottyjock 

I'm going to listen it!!

I'm interested!

12 hours ago, Rubencm81 said:

I am not the guy who does not know how to debate in a forum without being offended or, at least, traumatized by past warhammer editions.

I commute with the forums rules and my post did not break any of them. I will not post anymore regarding Iradekorne's post.

Going back to the ETC, I think AoS will become part of the main event next year. There already AoS team tournaments and it is a matter of time it develops around other countries.

Yeah... let's not keep digging on that front.

Anyways, I still think it won't be next year. I said it previeously but I'm pretty sure we ain't seeing them upping AoS's support until 2-3 years. Plus 9th age is deeply ingrained into the ETC style, so there's that too.

1 hour ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

Yeah... let's not keep digging on that front.

Anyways, I still think it won't be next year. I said it previeously but I'm pretty sure we ain't seeing them upping AoS's support until 2-3 years. Plus 9th age is deeply ingrained into the ETC style, so there's that too.

Why is everyone this or that? The ETC now has both 9th age and KoW, which overlap to a much higher degree than AoS vs either.

I have the strongest of dislikes for everything to do with competitive wargaming, but AoS has a competitive side too, and slagging it off with people from 20+ other countries and having a few beers afterwards almost makes me want to like tournaments (don't worry, not gonna happen :D )

11 hours ago, Scottyjock said:

I suspect an ETC-like event, similar to the London event mentioned will surface. Don't see any particular reason for the need to be part of the traditional ETC event to be honest now. Other than maybe the chance to play AoS in Serbia/Poland/wherever which would be sweeeet. A clean break was made, and a pure AoS team event could stand alone no problem I suspect.

I was part of the Scottish 6N team, and that event was fantastic for the first time being run. Definitely room for improvement in the tournament pack (listen to the Facehammer episode on it for a good summary).

I too was part of the 6 Nations event this year. I enjoyed it immensely. The games were fun, relaxed, but highly competitive at the same time.

I have never been to an ETC so can only go on the various stories I have heard from participants over the last few years. Although the entrants seem to have had a pretty good time, there seems to have been plenty of bad feeling about cheaters, WAAC's getting aggressive, inappropriately presented armies and various other unsavoury shenanigans. I may be overstating the downside of ETC, but that's my impression.

There was none of that at the 6N event. So I would echo @Scottyjock when he says that he would prefer an event that builds from our event this year, adding more and more countries independent of the ETC guys, so that we keep the currently excellent ethos and atmosphere that AoS has engendered to date.

If ETC is unpleasant because they diss AoS, make you bring tables and allow 9th age bad boys that will laugh at you.... why would you want AoS to be part of it??

Accessorily, if people are unable to enjoy the hobby the way they like on their own, and get influenced by what a random guy tells them on a forum or in a store, I feel sorry for them. Have your own opinion and leave the bitter haters in their cave (I didn't know the puerile "AoS vs 9th Age" was still a thing, it's so ******* dumb. It applies for both sides).

I played ETC for Scotland back in 8th ed, we were competitive if never top 10.  As a competitive game it had it's merits. AOS also has it's merits.

I switched to AOS because after playing a few games it felt just as strategic to me but with some of the rules barriers removed.  The main thing was the change in styles.  A lot of 8th was about preventing your opponent from doing things by creating a stand off and then trying to force an opening.  A lot of AOS is about engaging and destroying your opponents army to stop them from doing things.  I just find AOS is more engaging and conclusive than playing round the margins to try and get an edge to open them up.

But ultimately one game is being backed by GW and getting new content on a regular basis with new armies & stories.  One is a fan creation trying to tighten down the rules for a fixed set of armies & models to make it as competitive as possible. Ultimately (for me) I like my new shiny and had grown bored of 8th after 5 years  and I don't see enough different about 9th to tempt me back.

AOS is big in the UK, there are 100 person tournaments, there are team events.  The first 6 nations just took place and there is an appetite for more.  Anyone suggesting AOS is just for fun and not competitive is misjudging the game.  But equally anyone saying 8th/9th ace can't be cinematic and have wow factor is misjudging that game. They are both good games and they both have their pluses and minuses.

Archived