The Skeleton Rukk

Peegee

Hey guys !

I've been playing around with Tomb Kings lists for a while, played a Chariot spam army in my first tournament (and crashed poorly due to noobiness) but I kept thinking on how to play a competitive Death list. Necro Knights are one way, Mourngul another but I feel that it's not strong enough against actual top armies.

Analyzing the Kunnin Rukk, which is probably everybody's nightmare atm, I realized that we can craft our how arrows spam battery.

Allegiance: Death
Settra The Imperishable (360)
- General
High Queen Khalida (120)
Tomb King (100)
- Dynastic Blade & Shield
Liche Priest (120)
- Mount: Skeletal Steed
- Artefact: Cursed Book
6 x Skeleton Chariots (280)
20 x Skeleton Archers (200)
20 x Skeleton Archers (200)
40 x Skeleton Warriors (320)
- Ancient Spear & Shield
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blade & Shield
5 x Tomb Guard (80)
- Tomb Blade
Tomb Legion (80)

Total: 1940/2000

So you have here 92 shots (80 from archers, 12 from chariots) at 3+/4+ (+1 from Settra, +1 from Khalida) + 20 additional shots (Liche priest buff, 1 more attack on 4+ for one of the archers unit). So 112 shots at range 4" (move) + 3" (run) + 20". So 74 hits, 37 wounds. 

The army is only 3 drops due to the battalion so you're likely to go first (or choose anyway). In addition to the shooting phase, you have a 6 chariots pack, flying with a 20" move thanks to Settra and a 40 Warriors brick. Not even talking of Settra himself.

Even if we get an increase for Settra with GHB2, I think it's worth considering.

What do you think fellow Death resisters ?

Settra only adds to hit in the combat phase, but you can buff one archer unit with the Tomb King, so you are better off with a 30/10 split which will give you 35.5 wounds on average. Keep in mind you can't run and shoot. 

It does come close to Kunnin' Rukk's damage output but with a bit lower threat radius, and your archers are a lot more vulnerable than savage arrowboyz. 

The problem is that Kunnin Rukk costs 660 points. While the Rukk itself is certainly devastating, the real kicker is that it can be fielded with a Stonehorn and two Thundertusks in support (or whatever other Destruction nasties that you want). 

I do think that this would be a strong list, but I still don't think that it reaches the level of the top tier lists that you see now.

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

I tweaked the list a bit, you're right about Settra, it's the King that gives the +1 to hit anytime. But I think the Skeleton Archers can actually run and shoot, it's in their Warscroll  :  In addition, a unit that includes any Hornblowers can shoot even if they ran in the same turn.

Allegiance: Death
Settra The Imperishable (360)
- General
High Queen Khalida (120)
Tomb King (100)
- Dynastic Blade & Shield
- Artefact: Cursed Book
Liche Priest (120)
- Mount: Skeletal Steed
- Ancient Blade & Shield
- Ancient Blade & Shield
30 x Skeleton Archers (300)
10 x Skeleton Archers (100)
3 x Skeleton Chariots (140)
5 x Tomb Guard (80)
- Tomb Blade
Mourngul (400)
Tomb Legion (80)

Total: 1960/2000

I want to give the Mourngul a try in that list. I have to test if it's a stronger menace than a 40 skellies block. I feel like it's moving faster, debuff and has to be taken care of immediately by the opponent, letting you shooting battery quite "safe". I'm also loosing 3 chariots, but the psychological threat of the Mourngul is priceless. It's adding 1 drop though, putting you at 4 drops (which is still less than most of the armies).

Theorycraft is : two striking beasts like Settra and the Big Ghost, combined with a lot of shooting, can leave your - MSU-like - rest of the army at ease to grab objectives. 

Both lists are not as strong and optimal as a genuine Rukk + Beastclaws and are relying on GHB1 points but they might be another take on making Death competitive. I guess.

On 7/5/2017 at 1:04 AM, swarmofseals said:

Keep in mind you can't run and shoot. 

Actually, you can run and shoot. Look at the rules for the Hornblower.

I do think that the list is rather inefficient though - Settra boosts the melee capacity of the army while Khalida boosts the ranged capacity. However, by splitting your forces like this you end up with a list that is underwhelming both in the ranged- and melee department. You would be better off picking on or the other, rather than including both.

I disagree that settra is inefficient, imo he makes this list much stronger. Yea you are splitting your focus a bit but remember a big part of settra's value is in letting the tomb king and khalida both use command abilities so he is indirectly boosting shooting. Also I promise, no matter how well you shoot, you will face
combat eventually so having a bit of a boost is nice.

Personally I prefer 40 strong for the big unit of skeletons, just so its almost guaranteed to erase most targets.

Imo also find some pts for a herald to protect khalida, she is so vulnerable without one and such a high priority target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived