Most Battleplans are rarely played?

1 hour ago, wayniac said:

I think a big part of it is that the matched play battleplans are just boring.  They are too abstract.  It's just two armies clashing, that's the issue.  I much prefer attacker/defender scenarios (like many of the non matched play battleplans) where each player has their own goal to accomplish, but those have the issue of not being seen as "fair" by most players.

They can be perfectly fair.  What I hear players whining about is that is isn't BALANCED.  They aren't willing to spend the effort to look over something outside of the Matched Play rules because they want mirror matches.

To use the example of Team Fortress 2, everyone wants to play 2-Fort or Control Points, but not Dustbowl or *gasp!* Hydro.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I want High Tower or nothing...but only so I can score and bathe in the glory of "OMG!! dont scorre u newb!!!!! Git gud!!" comments. ;) 

As for the topic of other Battleplans, I've actually been collecting the Realmgate Wars book slowy (about 1 book every other month).  My local store has shelves players can rent and I keep the books on the shelves.  I also make it known that the books are free to use so long as they return home to their shelf!  Whenever I play I usually look for a Battleplan in one of those books.  We can use all the Matched Plays rules they like but I try to get others to play these different Battleplans.  

I'm a big fan of The Ritual, The Watchtower, and The Cursed City.  My shortest game of AoS ever was playing The Cursed City.  Game ended on the bottom of Turn 1 with a draw!! :D And its those kind of weird games that I love about AoS above all!

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 6:07 PM, Auticus said:

While I would say you and I definitely share common interests in the hobby and the game, nine out of ten players that I know couldn't tell you anything about the fluff, nor do they care about it.  They crack a book open to the statlines and pick armies based off of the statlines.

From 2012 - 2016 in my seasonal narrative campaign events I brought back "the dreaded pub quiz" (from rogue trader days) and of the twenty or so players that would play... maybe two could answer any of the questions.  

If I posted right now in our fb group "without using google, who can tell me who the khorne overlord of the Aqshy planes is whom the stormcast first engaged in the opening moments of the age of sigmar" - most would have no idea what Aqshy even was, and pretty much all but one or two would not know who Khuul is.

WHFB also had a lot of scenarios that were not battleline.  Its just that ... very very few people even knew that those missions existed because no one wanted to do anything except for battleline.

I wish some of you guys were more local. I've just about finished reading all the  Realm Gates Wars books and would love to play a linked campaign through them all.

Yeah, it would be nice if it would be more easy to find Players with a little more priority to the narrative of the game.

8 minutes ago, Auticus said:

I agree.  It would be cool if we could play games over PC.  I know there are ways to do it but they are very unfriendly UIs.  

You mean such games like Tabletopsimulator. Die buy it but not really test it yet.

8 minutes ago, chord said:

Agreed, if you're ever in my portion of the world just let me know 

Where do you Come from? I live in southwest to central part of Germany.

14 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Yeah, it would be nice if it would be more easy to find Players with a little more priority to the narrative of the game.

You mean such games like Tabletopsimulator. Die buy it but not really test it yet.

Where do you Come from? I live in southwest to central part of Germany.

Southeast part of the US ,

In my group we mostly play 6 matched ones for usual Aos games, in narrative games we mostly use Hinterland scenarios. "Regular" battleplans often lack balance and many of these have that "unlimited reinforcements " thingy. Many players don't like that. 

My favorite for now is Gift from the heavens with randomised meteorite drop. We drop 2 on second turn and 2 on the third one. Before the drop the dropping player rolls a d6 to determine the number of the table square where the meteorite will fall. Then we use old 40k deep strike/artillery rules and drop the meteorite using scatter die,blast template and two d6. Then we inflict d6 MW on the unlucky fellows that got bombarded. This scenario is veeery random but often makes the players think harder about their movement and strategy, because you never know where the rock is going to fall. Last game I had my Kairos Fateweaver alter the location of the impact with his ability and then watch the meteor scoring a perfect hit on his head and killing the poor old bird right on the spot. Fun stuff)

Can you guys share your favorite scenarios, or the ones that you had most fun playing, and a book that i can find them in?

Thanks in advance.

18 hours ago, ssharkus said:

In my group we mostly play 6 matched ones for usual Aos games, in narrative games we mostly use Hinterland scenarios. "Regular" battleplans often lack balance and many of these have that "unlimited reinforcements " thingy. Many players don't like that. 

That was one of the points, why I started that failed discussion which rules of matched play would make sence for those plans (son't know if that would help to make those battleplans more acceptable). The problem is, that reinforcementpoints aren't helpful in cases where the scenario says that you get units back or if you have an ability that gives you a 16% chance (why would you hold points back in that case). Unlimited reinforcements aren't a problem if you have a mission where the amount of units doesn't matter.

19 hours ago, ssharkus said:

My favorite for now is Gift from the heavens with randomised meteorite drop. We drop 2 on second turn and 2 on the third one. Before the drop the dropping player rolls a d6 to determine the number of the table square where the meteorite will fall. Then we use old 40k deep strike/artillery rules and drop the meteorite using scatter die,blast template and two d6. Then we inflict d6 MW on the unlucky fellows that got bombarded. This scenario is veeery random but often makes the players think harder about their movement and strategy, because you never know where the rock is going to fall. Last game I had my Kairos Fateweaver alter the location of the impact with his ability and then watch the meteor scoring a perfect hit on his head and killing the poor old bird right on the spot. Fun stuff)

The mission sounds interesting. Does that count as suicide for Kairos, because the old bird should have seen that coming. :D

21 hours ago, EMMachine said:

The mission sounds interesting. Does that count as suicide for Kairos, because the old bird should have seen that coming. :D

Nah, i guess it was one of those many "Not as planned!" situations.

Angrymarines_tzeentch (1).jpg

Archived