Losing Momentum Because of 40k 8th Edition

arka0415

I never played 40k but was planning on trying it when 8e came out. Then I see Toughness was still in the stats and you could blow yourself up when"casting magic". Those two things bring back bad memories of 8e WFB and I won't go back to them so I'm not going to give 40k a chance after all.

That said AoS has stalled since GW is only interested in supporting 40k right now, except for laughably half baked books like Skirmish and Path to Glory. So forget them. I'm going to play something else entirely up until they get over 40k for a minute and pay attention to AoS again.

What i did not like - when you stuck in melee you just doing fighting turn after turn with no real tactical movement. Few games i played were very boring - battlelines just stuck in melee and doing turn by turn fight rolls. I really love AoS models, much more than 40k but this felt boring.

On 7/15/2017 at 6:33 PM, Oppenheimer said:

I never played 40k but was planning on trying it when 8e came out. Then I see Toughness was still in the stats and you could blow yourself up when"casting magic". Those two things bring back bad memories of 8e WFB and I won't go back to them so I'm not going to give 40k a chance after all.

That said AoS has stalled since GW is only interested in supporting 40k right now, except for laughably half baked books like Skirmish and Path to Glory. So forget them. I'm going to play something else entirely up until they get over 40k for a minute and pay attention to AoS again.

To be fair, the new 40K S v T table is the quickest and easiest one GW has made, you will never need to look at it more than once. Its a quick and easy way to add more variety to units and I hope it makes it into a future edition of AoS (and get rid of silly/stupid abilities like "takes half damage"). Also "blowing up" on a spell in 40K is hardly anywhere near comparable to how devastating miscasts were in old WFB. It boils down to a 1/13 chance to suffer D3 wounds. That's pretty much it.

10 hours ago, ArtyomTrityak said:

What i did not like - when you stuck in melee you just doing fighting turn after turn with no real tactical movement. Few games i played were very boring - battlelines just stuck in melee and doing turn by turn fight rolls. I really love AoS models, much more than 40k but this felt boring.

You can retreat in AoS in melee, and pile-in each combat phase when you pick them to attack.  It also doesn't prevent ability use.

1 hour ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

You can retreat in AoS in melee, and pile-in each combat phase when you pick them to attack.  It also doesn't prevent ability use.

Yeah I did this to reasonable effect in a few games this weekend. Its more useful with fast units as you can retreat a fair distance and put the unit in a more beneficial place.  Be aware of retreating from unit which get a bonus on a charge though, you want to keep those tied up where possible (a counter charge with something of your own is always a good way to do this!)

27 minutes ago, stato said:

Yeah I did this to reasonable effect in a few games this weekend. Its more useful with fast units as you can retreat a fair distance and put the unit in a more beneficial place.  Be aware of retreating from unit which get a bonus on a charge though, you want to keep those tied up where possible (a counter charge with something of your own is always a good way to do this!)

Yep, retreat to make room for another charging unit.  I don't do it often, but there are scenarios in which this is important.

Archived