Painting layer(s) over typhus corrosion?

sal4m4nd3r

Greetings All. 

I am starting the painting phase of my rotbringer army. Lots of Putrid Blightkings. I want a heavily corroded armor look. Luckily the armor on the blightkings models is filled with pock marks and corroded holes. I tried ALL rust by basing in leadbelcher, washing with nuln oil, then typhus corrosion and dryburshing heavily with ryza rust. Lots of the orange and the pale/sickly flesh color was to bland for me and decided to try a test model with corroded green armor, to add some color. I think I realized I just like green on my miniatures   

So moving forward with this, If I based in leadbelcher and "washed" with typhus to get the gritty-ness onto the armor, could I apply a layer or two to achieve the green armor, with the gritty corroded-ness underneath the color? Or is it really only to get a typical orange surface rust? 

I am using this as inspiration.

wchAxSU.jpg

[Credit: @darkside40k]

I like how the armor is green but also corroded. Like these guys have been marching in acid rain for ages. I see the small bits of ryza rust patches. I may or may not add that.. But how do I achieve this colored/corroded effect? Is it textured do you think? or simply stippling? ANY ideas would be VERY helpful! 

If I were trying to achieve this, I'd probably base green, apply typhus corrosion into the shadows and stipple on using a sponge and then drybrush a silver colour onto the edges.  The dark rusk can be achieved by applying a thinned dark brown colour (probably Mournfang Brown).  Ryza rust on it's own is very monotone, so needs a darker colour alongside it to make it pop.  If you ever look at a rust patch on a tractor or similar, you'll see dark browns through to bright oranges.

17 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Greetings All. 

I am starting the painting phase of my rotbringer army. Lots of Putrid Blightkings. I want a heavily corroded armor look. Luckily the armor on the blightkings models is filled with pock marks and corroded holes. I tried ALL rust by basing in leadbelcher, washing with nuln oil, then typhus corrosion and dryburshing heavily with ryza rust. Lots of the orange and the pale/sickly flesh color was to bland for me and decided to try a test model with corroded green armor, to add some color. I think I realized I just like green on my miniatures   

So moving forward with this, If I based in leadbelcher and "washed" with typhus to get the gritty-ness onto the armor, could I apply a layer or two to achieve the green armor, with the gritty corroded-ness underneath the color? Or is it really only to get a typical orange surface rust? 

I am using this as inspiration.

wchAxSU.jpg

[Credit: @darkside40k]

I like how the armor is green but also corroded. Like these guys have been marching in acid rain for ages. I see the small bits of ryza rust patches. I may or may not add that.. But how do I achieve this colored/corroded effect? Is it textured do you think? or simply stippling? ANY ideas would be VERY helpful! 

It sounds like you're walking the same path I did with my Blight Kings.

I started out with just making one in all rust, that ended up like this:

NfkzaA-BPkjQzWnOw7hxQXtsd4WCVGao0Cz5Ybi7

mq5s-znqKA9_i4wcIZm1w4QPbaVV3PTtiE0TMZXp

I decided that it ended up simply being too much rust. I couldn't be bothered to actually strip the mini and start over, so I simply painted over it.

It ended up looking like this, which sounds much like what you're wanting to achieve

EYh8l2JMNVpaVrXn4ET_QTzDrygx3IVBXW__wssL

So my answer to you would simply be Yes! I actually think you can simply use the Typhus Corrosion straight onto a black/dark primer and then paint over it. You can use sponge or bush-works with Leadbelcher to get the classic chipping effect.

Hope that helps, and be sure to post a picture once you're done :-)

I really like this effect but for some bizarre reason really like cleaner armour on my blightkings. It's totally against the theme I know, but I think maybe it's because I am new to this and want to get the basics down pat with my first army. I'll certainly remember it for later armies though, or maybe even some later blightkings.

4 hours ago, Spiky Norman said:

It sounds like you're walking the same path I did with my Blight Kings.

I started out with just making one in all rust, that ended up like this:

I decided that it ended up simply being too much rust. I couldn't be bothered to actually strip the mini and start over, so I simply painted over it.

It ended up looking like this, which sounds much like what you're wanting to achieve

So my answer to you would simply be Yes! I actually think you can simply use the Typhus Corrosion straight onto a black/dark primer and then paint over it. You can use sponge or bush-works with Leadbelcher to get the classic chipping effect.

Hope that helps, and be sure to post a picture once you're done :-)

The pictures are not showing up for me.. Just a large "-" symbol where they should be. Have a link?

I really like this effect but for some bizarre reason really like cleaner armour on my blightkings. It's totally against the theme I know, but I think maybe it's because I am new to this and want to get the basics down pat with my first army. I'll certainly remember it for later armies though, or maybe even some later blightkings.

Its all good! If all our armies looked the same this wouldnt be any fun. I modelled a bunch of trees and bushes growing out of my rotbringers. Going for a rot begats regrowth sort of vibe. blightkings are just walking stabbing piles of rotting organic matter. Probably moist to so I fugre some passing seed germinted somewhere in there folds. A bunch have greenstuff mushrooms growing out of the cracks in their armor. Some have guts spilling on the base and tree growing out of that. Going for a heavily degraded look because the thin line between rot, decay and regrowth and rebirth (whihc nurgle is also the embodiement of) is fascinating and I wanted to blur it. Entropy man..all physcial systems drift towards randomness and chaos.. I love how devotees of nurgle are breaking down the walls of order (the the alliance I mean in the chemical/physics sort of sense) and alignment slowly but surely. I wanted that embodied in my models. so rotting flesh, corroding/degrading armor.. yet new life! 

Sorry for the rant. 

16 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I modelled a bunch of trees and bushes growing out of my rotbringers. Going for a rot begats regrowth sort of vibe. blightkings are just walking stabbing piles of rotting organic matter. Probably moist to so I fugre some passing seed germinted somewhere in there folds. A bunch have greenstuff mushrooms growing out of the cracks in their armor.

@DynamicCaloriesThat was me. Boy that seems like ages ago! I actually went back and re-did all of those because I wasn't satisfied with the "beleiveability" factor of the "fleshy attachment" where the trees were rooting into the blightkings. I also saw a patter where all the trees I attached were just on there backs. It made it seem like I justs glued trees on there backs..and not like a random germination. So I went back and added a lot of the trees to their bellies and legs in the front. I was worried it would take over the model but it looks truley awesome! One guy looks like he is in a cage of trees growing off of his torso. Got creative and sculpted some mushrooms and stuck them all over the place. Had an idea to have vines sprouting off a couple of them and climbing up the icons and large bells! Thanks for the kind words I'll do a big post in this forum when I have some time! 

@Spiky Norman

Pictures came through then! Wow he looks great!! Your rusted dude makes me want to do a few like that!!! He looks awesome!! My only gripe was how he orangey rust looked against the pale skin. Maybe for the fully armored guys I'll go full rust. Thanks for the inspiration!!

for the eroded green armor, I think I'll try to base in leadbelcher, wash in typhus corrosion and drybrush death world first green then nurgling green over that.. staying away from the edges. Adding patches of fresh metal and rust here and there. Stippling may be better tho to give the indication of randomness. 

Sorry for the rambling. 

1 hour ago, Spiky Norman said:

@sal4m4nd3r Thanks for the praise.

I would like to see the sprouting Blightkings at some point, if you get the chance :-)

I will do a WIP thread on the Painting and Modelling forum shortly. So what was the process for your blightking there. It looks like your armor color of choice, then typhus, then an edge highlight?

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I will do a WIP thread on the Painting and Modelling forum shortly. So what was the process for your blightking there. It looks like your armor color of choice, then typhus, then an edge highlight?

My first go was the rust-armour, and it was Leadbelcher, then Typhus Corrosion then Ryza Rust ended with sponge "chipping" or drybrush LeadBelcher, with sometimes some splotches of Nihilakh Oxide. It's really all about being a bit random and not be afraid to over do it with the rust and grime, as you can dampen it down some with Leadbelcher with some Agrax Earthshade.

The second go, I simply painted over it all with my chose green color, and went from there with shades and highlights.

33 minutes ago, Spiky Norman said:

My first go was the rust-armour, and it was Leadbelcher, then Typhus Corrosion then Ryza Rust ended with sponge "chipping" or drybrush LeadBelcher, with sometimes some splotches of Nihilakh Oxide. It's really all about being a bit random and not be afraid to over do it with the rust and grime, as you can dampen it down some with Leadbelcher with some Agrax Earthshade.

The second go, I simply painted over it all with my chose green color, and went from there with shades and highlights.

Thanks for that! I am going to paint up a "test torso" (spare armored torso from blightkings sprue) and post a pic later. Hope This thread isnt getting boring/redundant, but @Spiky Norman ..you have been an amazing sounding board and inspiration for me. Even if the topic is so acute and a bit random. 

I'll post a picture tonight. Plan is leadbelcher base, typhus, nurgling green, diluted agrax wash then drybrush nurgling. Probably do another with leadbelcher base, typhus, death world forest green, diluted agrax wash then drybrush nurgling green. 

1 hour ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Thanks for that! I am going to paint up a "test torso" (spare armored torso from blightkings sprue) and post a pic later. Hope This thread isnt getting boring/redundant, but @Spiky Norman ..you have been an amazing sounding board and inspiration for me. Even if the topic is so acute and a bit random. 

I'll post a picture tonight. Plan is leadbelcher base, typhus, nurgling green, diluted agrax wash then drybrush nurgling. Probably do another with leadbelcher base, typhus, death world forest green, diluted agrax wash then drybrush nurgling green. 

Sounds good, and looking forward to seeing some of your work. :-)

Should you want to see the other 4 Blightkings I did in the group of the one above, they're in the gallery here in the Rotbringers section.

Archived