Tedious Question! Starting ironjawz?

ZealousJ

Hi

After another hiatus my gaming group is back together and we're starting a small start collecting escalation type.... Thing. 

I jumped on ironjawz because I've always loved orcs and the models are great. We played our first three way game (my first aos game) which I miraculously won, and we had lot of fun. 

Recently though I've been worrying I've made the wrong choice. As much as I love ironjawz, they seem a bit one dimensional in play style and have a fairly limited model range. 

I was just wondering if you guys could give me some advice on this? Has anyone changed factions for this reason? Or do you all not find ironjawz too simplistic? 

Thanks all! 

After I finish my current set of ironjawz stuff I'm looking at starting daughters of kaine. 

IJ are quite 1d but with allies they can fix that.

The big problem is that GW have made it clear MW output is the way they are going so the only saves worth a damn are 1+ rerollabes or MW saves. By extension the only viable armies have solid MW output.

End result is that an army like IJ which doesn't do or stop MW gets weaker with every new battletome they release. 

If you are just starting out I'd advise against going for any destruction army at the moment for anything other than love of the models and lore.

Having said all that it depends on your aims, what your friends and group are plating army wise. If the group are using a T1 armies like stormcast, skyfires, bloodletters, fyreslayers and the like then playing IJ is just going to make you hate them. On the other hand if they are running the balanced armies then IJ will be fine and make intresting games for both sides.

To work out which are broken look at the core rules and see whether the armies get to ignore them or not. Teleporting, stupid MW output, saves on top of saves are all good indicators that they aren't playing by the same rules.

So in conclusion, work out what the rest of your group is playing since you want to all be running broken armies or none of you.

Im in the same boat. The Ironjawz are my favorite models in the game...except Ardboys. Buuut they are very one dimensional no matter how you play them, allies or not.  

4 hours ago, Malakree said:

After I finish my current set of ironjawz stuff I'm looking at starting daughters of kaine. 

IJ are quite 1d but with allies they can fix that.

The big problem is that GW have made it clear MW output is the way they are going so the only saves worth a damn are 1+ rerollabes or MW saves. By extension the only viable armies have solid MW output.

End result is that an army like IJ which doesn't do or stop MW gets weaker with every new battletome they release. 

If you are just starting out I'd advise against going for any destruction army at the moment for anything other than love of the models and lore.

Having said all that it depends on your aims, what your friends and group are plating army wise. If the group are using a T1 armies like stormcast, skyfires, bloodletters, fyreslayers and the like then playing IJ is just going to make you hate them. On the other hand if they are running the balanced armies then IJ will be fine and make intresting games for both sides.

To work out which are broken look at the core rules and see whether the armies get to ignore them or not. Teleporting, stupid MW output, saves on top of saves are all good indicators that they aren't playing by the same rules.

So in conclusion, work out what the rest of your group is playing since you want to all be running broken armies or none of you.

This is pretty much it. Problem is that almost every faction now except Destruction does all this...Destruction needs a massive overhaul just like Death got with Legions of Nagash.  

Recently helped a friend start the game, and picked ironjaws. its a great army for a noob: not too many models, simple to paint, simple strategies in battle. 

Will make you want to self-harm if you want to be competitive though. 

Tip: get some allied artillery and wizards. 

Archived