Dwarven Cities

Menkeroth

What do we know of their dwellings? I've almost forgotten about it since waiting for a new book! But now we can make some articles, can't we? It's good for inspiration and overall impression - I like, when GW explains how the society works and operates. So here we go.

Of the Dispossessed we now know little and have no pictures of their cities. But we do know that they lived and live in mountain holds, mostly under them, for example, those who fled to Azyr have carved enormous cavern kingdoms under Azyrheim. Their domains and fortresses are all hard lines and unyielding angles, as rigid and unforgiving as the warriors who have created them. From the societal point of view it seems they live in typical feudal societies you'd expect from fantasy in general, with clans, kings and the like.

The Fyreslayers live in great forge-temples, residing mostly in mountains or under them. As they all need power to power (pun intended) their forges, they are very creative about it - from lava to great solar lenses (as does one lodge in Hysh). Slayers are organized around one runefather who is the patriarch of the lodge (think military or mason lodges). And we do have one picture of their forge-temples and one lodge in Aqshy also.

As far as the Kharadrons are concerned, they live in air cities high in the atmosphere. Their society is meritocracy at work - the most successful and luckiest gets the most, so everything is organized around profit and Admiral Court who oversee the whole life and comprised of the best and wealthiest pirates at the time. And this time GW was so generous they provided us with lots of pictures about their cities and life in general.

Also, we have  the Ironholds, a fortress built by the chaos dwarves for Archaon, and the awesome and atmospheric trade chart of the KO in all the Realms. As a small bonus.

Hope it helps a bit :) what do you guys think?

2.png

48.jpg

53.jpg

55.jpg

58.jpg

Без названия.png

imgonline_com_ua_2to1_we_WP0_Ba_DA1_SE.jpg

Железные бастионы.jpg

I imagine the dispossessed living in something far less imposing than they did in the Old World once they fled to Azyr. Outside of Azyr it sounds like their holds are similar, but inside my impression is that they're carving out an existence as outsiders. In one of the novels it described the immaculate portions of the city inhabited by the Azyrite nobility. This lead me to believe that since those not native to Azyr, such as dispossessed refugees, must be largely who have filled the more congested and turmultuous areas we've seen decribed. These duardin might live in slums or tunnel neighborhoods surviving on the income from their crafts but not having created anything of magnificence for themselves yet.

I'd love to hear otherwise though! What have others read? 

There is descriptions of more traditional dwarven cities, established in the mountain range and high places of the Eight Realms, in several Battletome and Realmgate Wars campaign books.

The widest mountain range of Chamon, in the Kharadron Overlords battletome - site of the old and destroyed Khazalid empire - makes me think a bit of the World Edge's Mountains of the World-that-was. 

Archived