The Restless Barrows (battles etc)

Ademo

Hi all, I have recently started gaming with an army I've been working on in the painting and modelling section:

www.tga.community/forums/topic/4394-the-restless-barrows/

The army is inspired somewhat by the Heinrich Kemmler lichmaster list from warhammer 6th ed - lots of skeletons, spirits and ancient stuff! The idea being it is fully painted before a tournament in August.

Last night I took the army to my local clubnight for my first game with them (and only about 4th game of AoS)! Here's what I used:

Vlozd - RotN/cursed book

Necromancer

Wight king with standard - cloak

40x Spear skeletons

10x Sword skeletons

10x Sword skeletons

10x Great blade graveguard

5x Black knights

6x Spirit hosts

2x Morghast Archai

Legion of death

I played a really top bloke using Ironjawz led by Gordrakk - he used:

Gordrakk - rampaging destroyer/ amulet

Megaboss

Warchanter

Weirdnob Shaman

5 Brutes

10 Ardboyz

3 Goregruntas

3 Goregruntas

Gargant

We played the gifts from the heavens mission from the ghb. I won't do a blow by blow but will share a few positives and things to learn from!

+:

- Legion of death was really useful! Extra movement paired with the resiliency granted by the death trait and Wight banner kept the units around for a long time and meant I got the charge with my big skellie blob!

- 40 skeleton warriors are incredible! Managed to give them van hal's, dread knight and mystic shield in my first turn and they deleted the brutes, ardboyz, megaboss and warchanter over the course of 4 turns. D6+1 coming back is so very nice!

- 30 attacks with Spirit hosts has a lot of mortal wound potential! Got 6 on Gordrakk, next time, I'd love to buff them with dreadknight for rerolls [emoji16]

-:

- Deployment is key! I overestimated my ability to redeploy units, and as such my morghasts and spirits were stuck out on the left flank and didn't get stuck in until around t3, by which time, my heroes had been Gordrakkd to death so lost resilience and were dealt with quickly.

- Heroes need protecting! As it was in older editions, the heroes were the lynchpin of the army, and I left them too exposed in my rush to bash stuff (must be the orruk in me). I stupidly allowed Gordrakk a charge on my vampire, who had charged some goregruntas! He was then able to roll along the flank and take on my Wight king and necromancer. It all started falling apart with no heroes!

So, a loss with my opponent tabling me at the end of t4 but I feel it was a close game at times and I never felt completely at the orruk's mercy until near the end. Lots of lessons to learn for next time, but a really fun army to play and one that I think can at least give a good game even if they won't be winning 1st place anytime soon!

6d2550c5508732480e4548ce775ccadc.jpg006c2032a236517f2ff9db900c9364fc.jpg3c49eda51b63a969ef438ac7eca805eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

The Fell Host of the Restless Barrows took to the field once more this evening, taking on my good friend@dead_ghost and his chittering ratlings. We played the border patrol mission! My army remained unchanged from before, he took:

Tretch (general)

Warlord

Verminlord Warbringer

Sayl

30 clanrats

10 clanrats

10 clanrats

30 stormvermin

3 stormfiends (warpfire)

2 warpfire throwers

1 ratling gun

6 giant rats

Clawpack

(Photos show a few proxies on his side...the postman hasn't been kind *cough* 'manticore = verminlord etc)

We had a great battle with both of us keen to try out some combos. In his first turn, Craig swooped on to the side objectives scoring the early points. He super buffed his now 18" flying stormvermin with death frenzy, gnash gnaw and all manner of nasty stuff! Unfortunately for him, I was able to buff up my own super combo fun unit of 6 spirit hosts with dread knight and mystic shield allowing them to take out 14 on the charge and suffer relatively little back (3+ ethereal with 5+deathless minions and the reroll saves triumph). This proved to be a fairly crucial moment and the spirits went on to finish them through wounds and battleshock. They even took a few wounds off the verminlord before finally returning to their graves - my definite malignants of the match.

Craig did manage to fly his storm fiends round the back off my force and do a heap of damage to my vlozd - truly nasty weapons those warpfire projectors [emoji21]

The other side of the board was far more tame - my black knights did what they do best...absolutely nothing but clog up space and refuse to stay dead! My archai once again were a dissapointment - taking down a few rats but mostly rolling 1s and 2s to hit [emoji58]. The knights held out long enough to allow me to swing in with a small skelly unit at the end and mop up.

I was luckily able to get the jump on the big rat unit in the centre with my 40 blob of skellies managing 2 lots of 90 attacks (van hal's) ouch! Proving to be stars once again.

By the end of turn 4 I had secured all 4 objectives and we called the game. Another really fun game, I think it mostly came down to Craig's opening gambit with the stormvermin bouncing off the ghosts which caused a big shift in power.

To his credit this was his first game with the skaven and one of only a handful of AOS games - I definitely learnt a good deal from the ironjawz battle which I think really helped me out.

Overall, a really well fought game, nice to have a win under my belt but I'm sure our rematch will be a very different affair!

So thoughts from this battle:

-stormfiends hurt!

-I love buffed up spirit hosts! Seriously considering some more over the archai

-vlozd command ability is the best thing about him. Could just be me but he's left me pretty dissapointed in terms of damage output.

- screening the big skelly block worked nicely.

- I was very slow off the mark in terms of scoring in this scenario, which could be a problem against some enemies.20abad99c1868d2dc550077979d59874.jpg52fe5c43a6afbcca9c36f6dd89b2e06d.jpge1799c52d823958c95228577ab3300fd.jpge51944911448be29e5a69f1a3839c227.jpgded79da8959b0a212df9138331d53b37.jpg97dba580ebe455ad7eaec22ff755c332.jpg

@Mars_Ranger yes indeed! It was the only thing I had in my box, but it is surprisingly good as an objective [emoji3]
@Titcher - I did consider 2 3s but I decided to put them on monster hunting duty (usually nice big bases) which means most can get to attack, also means they stay effective for longer if they lose 1 or 2 bases. I also discovered that being able to buff 6 at a time is rather nice [emoji16]

28 minutes ago, Ademo said:

@Titcher - I did consider 2 3s but I decided to put them on monster hunting duty (usually nice big bases) which means most can get to attack, also means they stay effective for longer if they lose 1 or 2 bases. I also discovered that being able to buff 6 at a time is rather nice emoji16.png

I am putting together my first aos list using the legion of death battalion and I cab only fit in three spirit hosts. I like the idea of 6 but don't know how to fit them in. 

Conundrum! My good friends got me a mourngul for my birthday and I'd obviously love to use it - may help add some punch and more resilience. My quandry is, where do I find the space??
The bsst solution I have at the moment involves a bit of a rework of the list. Removing legion of death, morghasts and black knights! This would however lose me an artefact and the chance to deploy at once as well as the benefits of the battalion itself...

The morghasts wouldn't feel like a bad swap however, nor black knights - both have felt a bit subpar in both games. But the knights are needed for the battalion! Arrgh!

Any thoughts?

Orrrr.... drop the morghasts, lower the graveguard to 5 and spirits to 3. This would then give 60 pts with which I could add in a cairn wraith (which I do have the mini for) although 5 gg is a shame, I think the benefit of a mourngul is pretty huge, spreading death save further with wraith is handy too.

On 2017-6-29 at 6:02 PM, Ademo said:

Are you going 2k? Would be interested to see your list!

Allegiance: Death

Heroes
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (340)
Necromancer (120)
Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade (120)
 - General
 - Trait: Red Fury
Vampire Lord (140)

Battleline
20 x Skeleton Warriors (160)
 - Ancient Blades
30 x Skeleton Warriors (240)
 - Ancient Blades
20 x Skeleton Warriors (160)
 - Ancient Blades
3 x Spirit Hosts (120)
 -  Nighthaunt Battleline

Units
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Grave Guard (80)
 - Wight Blades & Crypt Shields
5 x Black Knights (120)

Behemoths
Mortis Engine (180)

Battalions
Legion of Death (60)

Total: 1960/2000

Hey all! Played another game tonight, this time against the kharadron overlords! We played 3 places of power and I tweaked my list to include the mourngul at the cost of the archai, 3 spirit hosts and 5 graveguard, I also added in a wraith to round out the list to 2k!

My opponent took:

Brokk

Aether Khemist

3 frigates

3 x10 arkanaut company

3 x endrinriggers

10x thunderers

Ironsky squadron

Really fun game! My opponent, really nice guy called Elliott deployed first and gave me the first turn, I decided to try and bunch up to the right and focus on the middle and right objectives as I didn't want to spread too thinly! In my first turn I moved up to put the aforementioned objectives under threat. I managed to mystic shield my general which allowed him to survive the first round of shooting. My opponent brought the ships up and opened fire, doing some damage across the board but nothing too notable.

A double turn however, saw him focus fire and eventually bring down my vampire lord and disembark several units including Brokk and the endrinriggers who proceeded to assault my black knights and wraith in the woods (riggers killed my wraith - boo), the central frigate also charged my 40 man unit of skellies to bog them down! By the end of the turn, my wight king, wraith and lord were all dead - leaving me with just 1 hero to score with *gulp*

My turn 2 saw my skeletons finish off the frigate and my spirits charge in to the frigate on the left. I was also able to get my mourngul stuck in to some disembarked arkanauts which he dispatched with ease, killing 8 and shocking the other 2 off! The black knights did what they do best...not dying! 5 graveguard also got in to Brokk and chipped 2 wounds off him.

My own double turn allowed my skeleton horde to turn on Brokk, the endrinriggers and an arkanaut unit, wiping out Brokk thanks to a double pile in and doing good damage on the others. The Mourngul made its way to the khemist, shredding him in one go! This allowed my necromancer to score points for claiming the centre objective and essentially won me the game there and then.

The rest of the battle saw all 3 frigates go down (1 to a horse of all things!) The mourngul tear apart the thunderers, spirits dying to shooting and the necromancer getting skypiked in turn 5!

A really fun game against an awesome opponent, I feel I played the mission well, focussing on killing his heroes and offering enough distractions to keep 1 of mine alive to score. He wasn't using an uber tuned list - particularly with the thunderers weapons but still, I found it to be a fun matchup!

His port and battalion offered a crazy amount of rerolls when attacking my flyers (which I realise now I have lots of!) But the pieces came together for me at the right time and I feel I was sensible in focussing on just 2 areas instead of spreading.

Mourngul was awesome - definitely a presence on the board that can't be ignored or it will hop about ripping stuff to bits. He's definitely deserved a paint job [emoji16]

In terms of lessons - I think I could use the mourngul's debuff to greater effect, particularly when deciding how to charge and pile in. I also need to keep tight with my death save distance! Felt like I played a better game and am getting to know these guys well now though.67ce211ac73a137f55ba3f5309b30dff.jpg93a77a153a00e40fbff5b9367b4894ec.jpgb3d3b3aa8746dca90fed943068f17264.jpg541357c831161d7ae77b3968b21dfecf.jpg

On 6/29/2017 at 6:55 PM, Titcher said:

I am putting together my first aos list using the legion of death battalion and I cab only fit in three spirit hosts. I like the idea of 6 but don't know how to fit them in. 

Drop 10 Skeletons, and shift another 10 over to the large unit with spears so you end up with 40+10+10 instead of 30+20+20. That saves you 80 points, which together with the 40 you have left allow you to get another 3 Spirit Hosts. I'd also consider dropping the Dire Wolves. They are good in many other Death lists, but in your case I'd argue that you have enough mobile screens as it is. These points could be better spent.

Archived