Highlighting Black, Anvils of the Heldenhammer

I'm endeavoring to paint a small force of Stormcast with the Anvils of the Heldenhammer as the theme. As far as painting goes, I've never really handled black quite like this before. The how-to guide simply mentions edge-highlighting, but I think that's somewhat unrealistic.

I've debated airbrushing a zenethil highlight of a dark grey color, but I'm worried that it might end up eating the black-tone of the model, making them look too grey.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I'm endeavoring to paint a small force of Stormcast with the Anvils of the Heldenhammer as the theme. As far as painting goes, I've never really handled black quite like this before. The how-to guide simply mentions edge-highlighting, but I think that's somewhat unrealistic.
I've debated airbrushing a zenethil highlight of a dark grey color, but I'm worried that it might end up eating the black-tone of the model, making them look too grey.

I highly recommend not highlighting to Grey, as it will look kind of dirty. Instead highlight up to a blue, as it will look much better.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

The drybrush technique in the guide uses blue.

Alternately, base in leadbelcher, and do multiple washes in nuln gloss (to get an enameled black look) and then drybrush with necron compound for the edges.

Archived