2000 Brettonia

SpiritofHokuto

So I recently got my hands on some Deus Vult figures for cheap. I picked them up just because I liked them but they could easily be used for a Brettonian army.

Now this is more of a hobbyist project, but I would like to able to play it on the table and not get thrashed every time. I do play with a casual-competitive crowd so I won't have to worry about bleeding edge tournament lists but I would still like to hold my own.

King Loeun Leoncoeur

Damsel Of The Lady

Paladin

8 Knights-Errant

16 Men-At-Arms

16 Men-At-Arms

16 Peasant Bowmen

16 Peasant Bowmen

5 Mounted Yeoman

5 Questing Knights

Field Trebuchet

Peasant Militia

I know I could make this better by including things like the Freeguild General and Celestial Hurricanum but I want to try and keep this purely Bretts.

The Knights-Errant are there to fill out battleline requirements without having to resort to even more peasants. Plus if they're within 18" of the Damsel they're hitting on 3's rerolling 1's which works out the same/slightly better than Knights of the Realm hitting on 2's.

And yeah I did get a bit tunnel visioned on the battalion so how's this for a revision?

King Loeun Leoncoeur

Damsel Of The Lady

Paladin

8 Knights-Errant

16 Men-At-Arms

16 Men-At-Arms

32 Peasant Bowmen

10 Grail Knights

Field Trebuchet

The peasant militia is an okay battalion. If you are keen to build an army around it, that's a good start. Louen is expensive, but he's awesome, although granting immunity to battleshock makes half the peasant militia's benefit redundant. You might considering swapping him out for a Bretonnian Lord and maybe larger units of archers or a couple more units of knights.

If you're intent on keeping Louen, and who could blame you, there is still a minor tweak I'd recommend. I would take out the mounted yoemen and use the points to upgrade the knights errant to KOTR and add in another paladin. That is a lot of peasants for one paladin to buff.

I like your second list better. I would recommend you keep one unit of men at arms guarding your trebuchet and putting it behind some line of sight blocking terrain. There's nothing worse than having that expensive unit get its crew picked off.

Also, always retreat your knights if they can't kill a unit on the charge. They are better off getting a second charge in on a later turn than grinding in combat where they don't get all their bonuses.

I'd never thought of the knights errant being buffed by the damsel as being as good as just having knights of the realm but you make a good point. You're missing out on their better bravery but with Louen on the field that's mostly irrelevant (except for when you're fighting Death). If you're going to do that you'll want to make sure to keep your damsel mounted to keep her in range. You can even put her on a Pegasus and why wouldn't you since there's no extra cost. Same with a Bretonnian lord if you field one, put him on a pegasus.

Unfortunately you're missing out on your command traits with Louen being a unique character but you can still use the +1 attack or -1 rend artefacts which are pretty good. The rend one might be more appropriate for the Paladin.

I know you said you don't want to use non-Bret units so feel free to ignore me but one thing that is nice about free guild is that you can use their battleline which doesn't have the stupidly large minimum size unit requirements that Bretonnia has. The free guild archers are also battleline. They're not as good as arrow storm but it does give you a bit more flexibility. I would say that free guild battleline is also just better point for point than men-at-arms even with the buff from being near a paladin. You can even continue to use the Bretonnian models and just use the freeguild rules, assuming your opponent is OK with that.

Hmm I not too fussed about using Freeguild Guard as battleline. In fact with the savings I can fit everything I want in.

King Loeun Leoncoeur

Damsel Of The Lady

Paladin

3x10 Freeguild Guard 

32 Peasant Bowmen

10 Grail Knights

3 Pegasus Knights 

Field Trebuchet

Now that's a list you can take to the bank ?

Just make sure to use the pegasus as a hero assassin or warmachine hunter. In a group of 3 they can't destroy a large unit without support as they have no rend. That double pile in and movement is sweet though.

I...don't really like Pegasus Knight at all. 

I like BRETONNIAN LORDS on pegasus!! More than an useless Trebuchet. And yes, you don't care about 2D6 hits (some times you still need to roll) when your charging units are going to do 15-20 hits.

Bretonnians are fun to use, but they need to charge (and they hit really hard with all the buffs. So you will need someone who:

1) take care about screens

2) pinning enemy units

3) take care about warmachines/little (score?) units

4) tank some hits into a multiple combat

Bretonnian Lords on Pegasus works great in all of these points. 

Oh and split the Grail into 5x5: is not so easy get all 10 in CC and they hit well enough to run in 5.

PS: don't understimate Realm Knights. I found 3x screen battlelines as a dead weight for Bretonnian army. 2x and 1x Realms sounds better to me. I know that they seems useless at a first sight, but 8/16 of them can work.

8 of them are a pretty fast, tanky unit. Pair the charge with a Graal unit to tank some attacks, or use them onto screens. Or even better, block enemy elite units! They still 16 wounds on 4+ (3+ on charge) that never break (Louen). They will not go down so fast by one unit. 

16 of theme....yep they cost. Yes they have no rend...but take a count of the hits. 32 2+/3+ kinda 18 hits dmg 2. Of course they will never go against 2+ (you still have grail and heroes for them) but even on 3+ saves they are 12 wounds. Not bad for a battle line. 

The thing is those are hard to kill. 34 wounds on 4+ (3+) saves. 

The big deal with Bretonnia is: "they need to charge". So you have to block any countercharge with a good use of your Lords/8Realms. And/or you need to destroy any unit you will charge (here the Lords will helps too). Retreat is....meh. Sometimes necessary, but 1 turn to charge, 1 turn to retreat, another one to charge again...you just have 5 turns. Try to avoid that.

If you begin your turn in combat with a wounded unit, you can try to finish off with your fire. Not Trebuchets, but paesants. If you play theme (normally not enough room for Realms then...) don't waste your triple shoot until now. Get your knights free to charge is your priority! 

If you don't play shoot, you will play more CC so think about charging and blocking charges. 

Flavour is the way >:-c

As I said before this isn't a purely gaming focused project so if I don't squeeze every bit of optimisation out of it I'm OK with that. But thanks for your input, you seem to know your stuff about Bretts and no doubt my list will evolve as I try out new things like Knight or Peasant heavy forces. 

Now its a case of sourcing alternative models although I've got most of it covered:

King Loeun Leoncoeur - Gamezone Griffin Veteran

Damsel Of The Lady - ??? any suggestions for a horse or Pegasus mounted model 

Paladin - Kitbashed from Teutonic Knights and Foot Sergeants 

Freeguild Guard - Deus Vult Foot Sergeants

Peasant Bowmen - Deus Vult Medieval Archers

Grail Knights - Deus Vult Teutonic Knights

Pegasus Knights - Deus Vult Albion's Knights on Pegasus

Field Trebuchet - Norba Miniatures Breton Trebuchet

I'm also not sure where there would be a good source for the archers stakes and braziers.

7 hours ago, SpiritofHokuto said:

I'm also not sure where there would be a good source for the archers stakes and braziers.

Braziers are a bit trickier but the stakes should't be a problem if you have those old rank style bases (the ones that equaled 4 small bases next to each other. Just go out into the garden get a couple of twigs, with a sharp knife give the a bit of a point. Then use green stuff to create a uneven 'dirt' base (which also serves to stick the stakes onto your bases) paint the base with a texture mud paint and you're golden. 

I did some similar things and didn't even bother to paint the stakes because depending on the bark it will look ace. 

5 hours ago, Kramer said:

Braziers are a bit trickier but the stakes should't be a problem if you have those old rank style bases (the ones that equaled 4 small bases next to each other. Just go out into the garden get a couple of twigs, with a sharp knife give the a bit of a point. Then use green stuff to create a uneven 'dirt' base (which also serves to stick the stakes onto your bases) paint the base with a texture mud paint and you're golden. 

I did some similar things and didn't even bother to paint the stakes because depending on the bark it will look ace. 

Yeah I do have some of those kind of bases spare from the Deus Vult stuff as I'm basing them on rounds, thanks for the suggetion.

And I actually managed to find some reasonably priced standing braziers from Midlam Miniatures. 

So it's just the Damsel on Horse/Pegasus that's eluding me now.

• 5 weeks later...

I like Bretts. They do seem a one or the other type of build though. You either go attack with lots of knights, or defend with lots of peasants, trying to split the mix evenly just leaves you with not much of either in my (very limited) experience.  

I just got a battalion box from another club member so looking forward to exploring those other build types.  I still dont have a big range of models so missing pegasus but the LOTR range looks like it could fill in for some of the peasant stuff, such as the Treb or Yeomen. I think the Fey Enchantess is a great option to try and fit in if you can, and only 60pt more than a standard, and generally poor, damsel.

As an update to this as I play with a relatively casual gaming group and I don't intend on playing in any tournaments I'll be using the Deus Vult fan-made battletome for my force. The Allegiance abilities together with the custom spell lore and tweaks to points really makes the Bretonnians a cohesive and decent mixed arms force.

The Fireforge Games models that I picked up are now going to be Ebayed (except the Pegasuses) as I wasn't all that impressed by them. Fortunately thanks to a sizable tax return I can now go for the more premium models. So the vast majority (Knights, Men-at-Arms, Archers and Characters) will be coming from the Gamezone model range. Otherwise I've already got a Breton Trebuchet from the Kingdoms of Equitaine range and various extra bits and pieces to add some flavour to the units.

If anyone's interested this is the list that I'll be building towards:

King Louen Leoncouer: 380

Paladin Standard Bearer: 100
- Standard of Defence

Damsel of the Lady: 100
- Sacrament of the Lady
- Guide

20x Men-at-Arms: 140
- Drummer, Trumpeter, Standard Bearer, Relic Bearer

10x Men-at-Arms: 70
- Drummer, Trumpeter, Standard Bearer, Relic Bearer

30x Peasant Bowmen: 390
- Drummer, Trumpeter, Standard Bearer, Relic Bearer, Burning Braziers

5x Grail Knights: 200
Grail Banner Bearer, Trumpeter

5x Grail Knights: 200
Grail Banner Bearer, Trumpeter

3x Pegasus Knights: 200
Banner Bearer, Trumpeter

Field Trebuchet: 220

Total: 2000

• 1 month later...

i highly recommend focusing on knights. I played against 2500 pts of Bretonnia last night and I got trampled, gave up after turn 2! He had two units of 16 KotR, 5 grail knights, 5 questing knights, the king, fey enchantress, green knight, 2!! pegasus lords, minimum men at arms to finish battle line, and whatever else I can't remember...

Good god, i caught some charges bottom of turn 2 with hopes to take initiative, but he got double turn and decimated entire units with that second charge. 

Buff KotR and watch them annihilate units, and pegasus lords are not to be messed with. They were disgusting. I have never lost so badly ever, but it was so awesome to watch it happen, lol.

Archived