Let's chat : Slaanesh

Arkiham

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

No surprise.  With no Aelfs in sight and GW seemingly reinventing the wheel here may as well make use of what you can in a creative way :)

That's what I figure as well. I used to play the Cult of Slaanesh back in the day, so I'm not too disappointed about doing some conversions. I really want the Cult to comeback and it was Morathi that was in charge... maybe she will start it up again and become a new Slaanesh contender. I don't really follow her story too well though so I don't know.

I loved the Cult of Slaanesh.  It was so fun to play.  All those lists were.

Same I don't think there is a lot of back story on the Aelves so far.  We know Malekith is Malerion?  And that he is now god-like I expect him to be a kit like Alarielle and that he will be the Aelf leader (finally, he waited long enough).

I quite hope Tyrion comes back as some Khaine-like being from the End Times and I can use my FW Eldar Avatar as Tyrion.

3 hours ago, Popisdead said:

I loved the Cult of Slaanesh.  It was so fun to play.  All those lists were.

Same I don't think there is a lot of back story on the Aelves so far.  We know Malekith is Malerion?  And that he is now god-like I expect him to be a kit like Alarielle and that he will be the Aelf leader (finally, he waited long enough).

I quite hope Tyrion comes back as some Khaine-like being from the End Times and I can use my FW Eldar Avatar as Tyrion.

I don’t think he ever will be king, just so that elf on elf conflict will still be a thing. I also feel dark elves should have not been an  ally of Order, not sure where they would fit though. I had used the Drazhar for my Druchii Annoited. He looks the more like a Chaos elf than any other model they make.

9 hours ago, Edgecoc said:

I don’t think he ever will be king, just so that elf on elf conflict will still be a thing. I also feel dark elves should have not been an  ally of Order, not sure where they would fit though. I had used the Drazhar for my Druchii Annoited. He looks the more like a Chaos elf than any other model they make.

In a similar vein, I've  been using my old witch elves and sisters of slaughter to bolster my numbers of daemonettes. Nobody seems to mind once I  remind them of the old cults. I just use them with Daemonette war scrolls.

I, to, would like to see a way to bring the dark ones back to the side of discord. There's just no way, in my mind anyway, that millennia of conflict would be swept under the rug and now everyone gets along, fights together, and let's go have a couple of beers.... nope. The Druuchi have always been too treacherous for any of that nonsense. All the history in the old world told us of the hatred and distain that the held for their more esoteric cousins...... a small wrinkle such as the end of the world wouldn't change that, Imo.

Anyone else remember the Sundering?

I'd like nothing more than to be able to incorporate DE back into my Slaanesh lists for real. Perhaps only certain 'renegade' units would be available....i.e. witch aelfs and executioners, Morathi and Malekith. It would be easy to make do, especially in a future Slaanesh battle tome.

Hosts of Slaanesh is rather thin on the units that are available to them as it stands now, at least compared to the other chaos factions. It would be a great way to give a nod to the history and add some speedy punch as well as, perhaps, some ranged attacks to the lists. Ah yes.... demon worshipping drug addled murderers! What's not to love?

I'm a stubborn old dude and loyal to playing armies of disorder.... my DEs have languished on the shelf ever since they've been reinstated into the world of Order, except in the aforementioned proxied witches and sisters. 

That's a shame. I'd love to bring the pain with Morathi.  Or Malekith on a black dragon again....

15 hours ago, Kramer said:

haha same goes for me. (although i'm getting the cold one rider for that spicific purpose)

I put a sorcerer on a cold one. I was thinking of giving a unit dark elf spears to use as halberds since I have an extra ten of them.

4 hours ago, Edgecoc said:

I put a sorcerer on a cold one. I was thinking of giving a unit dark elf spears to use as halberds since I have an extra ten of them.

yeah that model works perfectly well! The mounted sorceress even got a staff and sword. I just painted myself a dark emmisary as I found the contract between all the sensuality and then the one rotten adviser/sorcerer just to cool to pass up. image.png.435d1e93797bdf1159b0becc822b8144.png

2 hours ago, Edgecoc said:

I’m going with whip so I can put them behind two lines of warriors. I want to get another box to make the claws in to halberds. Also use an extra claw spear for my lord of Slaanesh.

I think the 3" reach is missed when people look at them.

IMO Wanderer Rangers are still a viable unit for that very reason.  2" reach and measuring past 2 ranks of Eternal Guard.  a 3" Reach is pretty amazing, however it means enemy models suffering from the banner will be fewer.

17 hours ago, Popisdead said:

I think the 3" reach is missed when people look at them.

IMO Wanderer Rangers are still a viable unit for that very reason.  2" reach and measuring past 2 ranks of Eternal Guard.  a 3" Reach is pretty amazing, however it means enemy models suffering from the banner will be fewer.

Yeah, that’s a good point about the range of the banners. The bubble they have is a really good one. 

Anyone got ideas to add ranged units to Slaanesh? Maybe stormfiends? 

30 Ungor Raiders is my start (cause I played Beastmen all of 8th).  

Has anyone thought up how well solo Fiends would work?  45 points for a distraction or speed bump brings me back to solo pumbagors in 8th for basically the same price.

The other use I would wonder if in a Seekers batallion/host/whatever they'll be move 16" so could they do any real damage to solo characters like mages, etc.  

I just,.. wish they were more useful.  Last game I ran 6 with 5 Hellstriders behind and I find them just,..  The kings of tickle fights.

14 hours ago, Popisdead said:

30 Ungor Raiders is my start (cause I played Beastmen all of 8th).  

Has anyone thought up how well solo Fiends would work?  45 points for a distraction or speed bump brings me back to solo pumbagors in 8th for basically the same price.

The other use I would wonder if in a Seekers batallion/host/whatever they'll be move 16" so could they do any real damage to solo characters like mages, etc.  

I just,.. wish they were more useful.  Last game I ran 6 with 5 Hellstriders behind and I find them just,..  The kings of tickle fights.

Yeah, they seem a little underwhelming, especially for their points, which btw, are 140 for 3 [the minimum unit size]. On the upside, their -1 to hit would stack with the banner effects from a nearby unit of hellstriders. Not sure if that makes them worthwhile bringing to the table. I'm not likely to find that out, as I consider them to be the absolute most hideous model GW has ever marketed.

On 10/31/2017 at 8:01 AM, Edgecoc said:

Yeah, that’s a good point about the range of the banners. The bubble they have is a really good one. 

Anyone got ideas to add ranged units to Slaanesh? Maybe stormfiends? 

I've used marauder horsemen with mixed results.... they have good speed, a meh save and again have only 4-4 hit/wound. 9" range javelin attacks 2 each re-rolling 1s to hit. The upside is their speed. They can get into position to harry characters, grab objectives and divert attention ala shooting attacks for a turn [maybe 2, with a little luck]. After that they are usually dead. But you save 40 pts by taking these guys over the fiends. 

4 hours ago, Tasman said:

I'm not likely to find that out, as I consider them to be the absolute most hideous model GW has ever marketed.

Including the current keeper of secrets? Still can't get over that horsey looking face. I mean.... it could be cool but only it was an faction wide theme. But it's just him... going, i'm the coolest and you can see that because my face is the longest.... :D 

32 minutes ago, Squirrelmaster said:

@Popisdead The warscroll says "any number", but the GHB2017 says 3+

ahhh thank you kindly.  So I wasn't crazy remembering it.

so the 140 pts was a bandaid. cause 240 points to tie up something at -1 isn't that great if the opponent can just shoot off my striders.

I mean, fiends are 11.667 pts/wound, while Dæmonettes are 10, dropping to 9 in hordes. -1 to hit is mostly better than "re-roll 6s". Fiends average about 0.042 wounds-per-turn-per-point in combat compared to Dæmonettes at 0.058. But fiends have a 12" move.

Nothing about them really strikes me as amazing, but they don't seem terrible either. Probably a shade more resilient in combat than Dæmonettes, once you factor in that -1, not as hard-hitting but you can hit rend -2 sometimes which makes a big difference against armoured opponents. Faster, and more condensed, but not battleline. No glaringly obvious synergies beyond "stick them next to hellstriders". Mostly immune to battleshock. Not so good for grabbing objectives.

8 hours ago, Kramer said:

Including the current keeper of secrets? Still can't get over that horsey looking face. I mean.... it could be cool but only it was an faction wide theme. But it's just him... going, i'm the coolest and you can see that because my face is the longest.... :D 

Lmao. Yeah, he's right in with the ugly crowd.... so strange, as Slaanesh is supposed to be all seductive a s**tO.o

8 hours ago, Squirrelmaster said:

@Popisdead The warscroll says "any number", but the GHB2017 says 3+

@Tasman Would you consider conversions or proxies? I'm thinking three unridden boobsnakes, or maybe with dæmonette riders (left over from a chariot kit).

I would, and I've seen some pretty cool stuff that would work. But not for in store. Our local GW is not allowing non citadel models, and since I work there it would be in bad form.:/

@Tasman My local GW doesn't allow non-citadel either, which is why I'm thinking three boobsnakes (the mount from the "Lord of Slaanesh on Dæmonic Mount" model). It's about the same size, looks cool, and only requires a little conversion work around the saddle area (in theory).

But still, its definitely not the "official" model.

Archived