Archmages in Freeguild Armies

arka0415

I'm curious about using an Archmage in my infantry-heavy Freeguild force, to cast that sweet 6++ dome shield over the army and have solid unbinding ability. 6++ isn't much though, so does anyone have good experience using this spell? Is the 6++ actually worth it?

If you can keep your archmage alive, and your unit count is high, then it can certainly be worth it. The archmage promotes less mobility, which fits perfectly with an infantry heavy freeguild army. He is also cheaper than Luminark of hysh, which provides the same protection (although the luminark is more reliable, as it is an ability, while the archmage needs to get the spell off. Watch out for unbinds.

Both provide you a save against mortal wounds in addition to normal wounds, which is gold worth in todays mortal wound spammy age. 

14 minutes ago, Mayple said:

If you can keep your archmage alive, and your unit count is high, then it can certainly be worth it. The archmage promotes less mobility, which fits perfectly with an infantry heavy freeguild army. He is also cheaper than Luminark of hysh, which provides the same protection (although the luminark is more reliable, as it is an ability, while the archmage needs to get the spell off. Watch out for unbinds.

Both provide you a save against mortal wounds in addition to normal wounds, which is gold worth in todays mortal wound spammy age. 

Luminak brings quite a lot more to the table I'd say.

12 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Luminak brings quite a lot more to the table I'd say.

Definitely, but it is an investment, so if you don't want to change up an army too much, the archmage is the cheaper, less reliable, easier to protect option.

That being said, the luminark is practically a cannon, so it could replace some ranged units without altering the overall focus of an army.

One could always get both though ;) doublebubble. 

4 hours ago, Mayple said:

The meta favors mortal wounds, but to a Freeguild army a mortal wound is basically just as bad as a rend -1 wound. I wonder if it ultimately matters...

Given that he costs 120pts I wonder if just taking more chaff would be more viable.

1 minute ago, arka0415 said:

The meta favors mortal wounds, but to a Freeguild army a mortal wound is basically just as bad as a rend -1 wound. I wonder if it ultimately matters...

Given that he costs 120pts I wonder if just taking more chaff would be more viable.

Whether mortal wound or rend, you get another chance at preventing the damage from going through ;)

More chaff can be useful, sure, but that depends entirely on the matchups. Having a wizard present to unbind enemy spells, and to throw down mystic shields (as well as the bubble, in this case) is arguably more worth unless you're low on numbers. Consider this; the archmage can potentially save large quantities of your army, whether through the bubble, unbinding key spells, or just by taking shots in the face that would have gone for your general. If the point value is your concern, and you were generally looking for something to support the rest of your army, a battlemage can also fulfill this role with points to spare. 

Note that I am assuming that you have no wizards in your army already, in which case the value of the archmage does go down, since he's not -vital- to your wellbeing anymore. 

8 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Note that I am assuming that you have no wizards in your army already, in which case the value of the archmage does go down, since he's not -vital- to your wellbeing anymore. 

Thanks for the input. Currently I run a single Amber or Grey Wizard at 1000 and 1500 points, and I've been considering running both at 2000 points. I've never had much luck unbinding so I figured I'd try out an Archmage alongside one of the other Wizards. Maybe one Wizard is enough though?

18 minutes ago, arka0415 said:

Thanks for the input. Currently I run a single Amber or Grey Wizard at 1000 and 1500 points, and I've been considering running both at 2000 points. I've never had much luck unbinding so I figured I'd try out an Archmage alongside one of the other Wizards. Maybe one Wizard is enough though?

Two tends to be a good number, at least for 2000 points games. It ensures you don't lose your only wizard due to some turn one shenanigans (of which there are plenty), and gives you some flexibility regarding your choice and usage of spells. At least that's how I'm approaching it. 

Archived