Flesh-eater start box

pikachoux

So far, none of the starter box formations have points values, rendering them all unusable in matched play.  And don't believe that bit about 'not meant', most all formations were released before matched play was even a thing.  NONE of them were 'meant' to be used in matched play, that didn't stop alliance and battle tome book formations from getting points values.

I personally would love to be able to run the malignant box formation in matched play.  would give me a reason to run hexwraiths ever.  As it is... frustrating.

I would love to use the Start Collect formations as well. But they have thus far been made exclusively for open and narrative play. They are meant for start collecting vs. start collecting games mostly, to give new people an example of a formation.

Maybe GHB2 will change this. Maybe it will stay the same.

I doubt it will change.  The start collecting boxes are really meant to be used to start a collection or play in like an open environment, most of them aren't legal at all for Matched Play anyways since they usually only give 1 Battleline.  Which sucks because most of the battalions in them are really not that bad and wouldn't be game-breaking.  The same with the larger battleforces including the most recent holiday ones; not one of them had points for matched play DESPITE being released post-GHB (which was incredibly frustrating for the Ironjawz one since it included a Giant, which in Matched Play invalidates the entire Ironjawz allegiance and means if you just bought the SC box and the Battleforce, you wouldn't have a legal force since nothing would be considered battleline; as the adage goes in my group "Battleline ruins everything").

It's the one major drawback I have to battalions having points; everything about that (seeing what formations did to 40k where they are free) is great except the fact that if it doesn't have points, it can't be used in the vast majority of games since they are inevitably Matched Play style games.  So it's still a double-edged sword, and one that I don't think will ever be addressed since it can be ignored with "There are multiple ways to play, not everything is intended for Matched Play", which also has the drawback of meaning it's not intended for the majority of games since it's very rare to find Open/Narrative now that points are back.

Archived