Maw-Krusha tips?

I've never actually painted white before as the main color. I heard its the hardest color to paint. I'm a pretty novice painter but my work usually turns out pretty good. I absolutely love the maw krusha look on the warhammer website. Unfortunately their how to paint video is a red. I was wondering if anyone knew what colors and how to achieve closest to the effect as they have in this picture? 

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Ironjawz-Orruk-Maw-Krusha

I was trying to figure this out myself for my Dracoths. I did a bunch of thin coats of white and then used lahmian medium to thin out some nuln oil to go into the crevices of the scales. Still need to go back in and highlight the white, but it seems to work pretty well. 72a0e8d5f86e230c5768380978e14347.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dempjz.jpg

Really long long ago I have painted this model. Painting white was a pain, as I went through several layers of paint. Starting with Base grey (2 layers) then purple ink, followed by some light grey, next mixed it with white (twice) and finishing with another two layers of white. I do not recall as this being the most pleasant experience. Probably there are better solutions of painting white, especially with Ceramite White (this Base paint, not sure if this is the correct name). So my tip is rather long to apply, of course instead of purple ink you may choose whichever you like.

As for the Maw-Krusha, you can contact Emma from the GW painting guide video (she did the one for Maw Krusha) on twitter: @ICantThinkEm

Maybe she also painted the white variant, if not she might know who did it and you will be able to ask directly at the source. If you will get the answer write it here, as I am also curious how to paint white GW way :)

Some good highlighting, and yeah, white is hard. Still trying to figure it out for my stormcast. If I may critique, where I see more opportunity to step up your model, it would be in the places where your colors meet up. So for instance there's gold and blues on his left gauntlet that should have a clean separation, and on the dracoth's closest leg, the gold on the bottom of the leg armor bleeds up into the white area. I think clean blocking goes even further than line highlighting to make a model look good. Really hope to see this when it's finished.

Archived