Legion Of Death Battalion

Hayday

Hi All!

I have not seen many lists using the legion of death battalion - is this because it simply doesn't work?

I appreciate the units themselves are pretty mediocre, but with this and the synergies from a wight king and necromancer I feel like there is potentially something there.

I'm thinking a wight king to buff, necromancer to double pile in, a couple of units of black knights, some grave guard, and a couple of the skeleton units having 30/40 models for extra attacks. This is all theoretical and I've yet to see it on the table.

Anybody had any experience?

3 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

It works nicely in small games, around 1000-1500 as a Deathrattle-based core to an army. :)

I'm glad someone has had a good experience!

Is there a reason why it doesn't work at 2000+ points?

Not enough punch?

It's OK. It can make a decent horde army if you are willing to put in the numbers, but the larger your units get the less potent the second effect (return one extra model) gets. 1/10 is a good return, 1/40 not so much. 

It can be combined with e.g. VLOZD to make a fairly traditional looking undead army. I like it, but only because I wish there were more batallions like it. If there was a ghoul patrol version of this (skeletons come on at a board edge) then it would be really useful. 

2 minutes ago, TerrorPenguin said:

It's OK. It can make a decent horde army if you are willing to put in the numbers, but the larger your units get the less potent the second effect (return one extra model) gets. 1/10 is a good return, 1/40 not so much. 

It can be combined with e.g. VLOZD to make a fairly traditional looking undead army. I like it, but only because I wish there were more batallions like it. If there was a ghoul patrol version of this (skeletons come on at a board edge) then it would be really useful. 

Agreed. I just love the aesthetic of a VLoZD behind blocks of skeletons and cavalry on the flanks. I think I'm going to try it just for that!

45 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

Generally you'll not be running some of the units at that level. The Black Knights become a bit of a tax, and the Grave Guard start to come across threats they'll have difficulty chopping up.

It is a tax but it's not that big. It's 200pt tax but it is also two fast units that you to use as shaft. Lets say you take units of zombies for that role instead it is still 120pt and they worse in that role since they are much slower.

3 hours ago, Hayday said:

Anybody had any experience?

I believe the legion can be a quite good base for a 2000pt army. And we have guy here on TGA who finished top 5 at the GW grand tournament heat one so it can't be that bad.

I have only played two games with the legion so limited experience but it was against strong opponents and it felt quite strong. Go for if you like the idea, it's not a weak list IMO.

I love it. It makes a great 1000pt army and at 2000pts you can have a really beefy block of 40 skeletons, 2 smaller objective blocks, a decent amount of Grave Guard and then I like to run 15 Black Knights, because they are quite tanky. 

With the extra movement, you can move that unit of black knights up the 4", then 12" regular move and still have a decent chance of tagging a unit you don't particularly want to fight yet.

Combined with the Wight King giving extra models back in your hero phase, stuff doesn't stay dead.

Archived