Let's Chat Aelves (Elves of all creeds!)

Kytlock

So I can't be the only one who likes the elves... err... Aelves. I currently own the Spire of Dawn Aelves, a unit of Phoenix Guard, a unit of Dragon Blades, and a Flamespyre/Frostheart Phoenix (still unbuilt). For starters, this is my 1k list I plan to learn with before delving into 2k+.

Allegiance: Order

Leaders

High Warden (220)

- General

- Trait: Inspiring

- Artefact: Talisman of Blinding Light

Archmage (120)

- Artefact: Quicksilver Potion

Battleline

5 x Reavers (160)

10 x Spireguard (120)

- Swifthawk Agents Battleline

10 x Swordmasters (200)

- Eldritch Council Battleline

5 x Silver Helms (140)

Units

Battalions

Guardians of the Dawnspire (40)

Total: 1000/2000

How does that look for a beginner and how should I shape into 2k points? Surely these guys won't be forgotten or left in the dust so I hope to use this thread as a means to discuss everything Aelves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are Silver Helms generic battleline?

According to Azyr, yes.

Edit: I could also use these same models for the Althran Stormrider Host battalion and take Silver Helms.

High Warden, Spire Guard & Silver Helms are all not very good units. If you are planning on a cavalry heavy army the silver Helms may work ok. I have not played my Dragon Blades much I only have 5. But I would gladly trade 5 or more of my 20 Silver helms for another 5

Spire Guards are just ****** for the points, spearmen are ****** also but only 80 points for the battleline tax.

Get that flamespyre built and put an Anointed on it, it will last a lot longer that the High Warden and have a greater effect on your games. The frost phoenix is also not to bad.

Reavers die fast and they don't hit very hard but they have great speed, some games they will be amazing others not so much. They are tricky at times to play and maybe a bit costly for what they do. That said I have 15 of them although do to their cost normally only 5 hit the table. They are most effective in a unit of 10.

Sword Masters and Phoenix Guard are the best units we have. Both 200pts and the stat line is almost the same, the difference is swordmasters have -1 red & reroll failed saves from shooting, Phoenix guard have no ren but have a "ward save"(what we use to call it) this means the have a 4+ armor save and if you fail that (or its a mortal wound) you get a 4+ additional save. This 2nd save is also not effected by ren so its always 4+. The swordmasters hit harder (red is a big deal in this game) but the P. guard will live longer. Depends on what you want. Another option is White Lions they are almost as good as swordmasters but they are only 180 points. 

Archmage is good it will give you a 6+ ward save on everything within 18" on a 6+ cast. I run a lot of Anointed and phoenix guard so I have the 4+ on a lot of my stuff so I normally take the loremaster instead. But I have Archmages in my case all the time and 3 more on my shelve. If your doing cavalry might be good to have him on a horse, mine is not just because the 1 I have on a horse is not painted and I like to only play my painted stuff.

High Warden, Spire Guard & Silver Helms are all not very good units. If you are planning on a cavalry heavy army the silver Helms may work ok. I have not played my Dragon Blades much I only have 5. But I would gladly trade 5 or more of my 20 Silver helms for another 5
Spire Guards are just ****** for the points, spearmen are ****** also but only 80 points for the battleline tax.
Get that flamespyre built and put an Anointed on it, it will last a lot longer that the High Warden and have a greater effect on your games. The frost phoenix is also not to bad.
Reavers die fast and they don't hit very hard but they have great speed, some games they will be amazing others not so much. They are tricky at times to play and maybe a bit costly for what they do. That said I have 15 of them although do to their cost normally only 5 hit the table. They are most effective in a unit of 10.
Sword Masters and Phoenix Guard are the best units we have. Both 200pts and the stat line is almost the same, the difference is swordmasters have -1 red & reroll failed saves from shooting, Phoenix guard have no ren but have a "ward save"(what we use to call it) this means the have a 4+ armor save and if you fail that (or its a mortal wound) you get a 4+ additional save. This 2nd save is also not effected by ren so its always 4+. The swordmasters hit harder (red is a big deal in this game) but the P. guard will live longer. Depends on what you want. Another option is White Lions they are almost as good as swordmasters but they are only 180 points. 
Archmage is good it will give you a 6+ ward save on everything within 18" on a 6+ cast. I run a lot of Anointed and phoenix guard so I have the 4+ on a lot of my stuff so I normally take the loremaster instead. But I have Archmages in my case all the time and 3 more on my shelve. If your doing cavalry might be good to have him on a horse, mine is not just because the 1 I have on a horse is not painted and I like to only play my painted stuff.

So if I'm going this route instead of Swifthawk Agents, what do I use for battle line? PG and Swords aren't battleline unless I am their respective allegiance.

22 hours ago, Kytlock said:

Can ya share a list? Sounds fun!

Atm running a hyrid order army 

2 he dragons

10 libbies

20 handgunner

huricanum

2 cannons

gunsmith

totally wrecks face, but the dragon were the star of the show, going to play around with some order draconis

basically 3 he dragons and 3 squads of dragon kinghts with a noble for the banner

also looking at 3 dragons a drakeseer and 3 squads of silver helms 

Fun...

to generalize a bit: elves are fast elites who tend to be a bit fragile. So if you like the tactical challenge because you won by good target selection, taking advantage of your speed and using excellent ranged units. It's the army for you! ??

Atm running a hyrid order army 
2 he dragons
10 libbies
20 handgunner
huricanum
2 cannons
gunsmith
totally wrecks face, but the dragon were the star of the show, going to play around with some order draconis
basically 3 he dragons and 3 squads of dragon kinghts with a noble for the banner
also looking at 3 dragons a drakeseer and 3 squads of silver helms 

When you say dragons, are you speaking of Dragonlords?

On 3/9/2017 at 1:25 PM, Kytlock said:

So if I'm going this route instead of Swifthawk Agents, what do I use for battle line? PG and Swords aren't battleline unless I am their respective allegiance.

HE battle line are the Reavers 180pts, Spearmen 80pts & silver helms 140pts. You need no allegiance for these. 

If you are willing to do mixed order instead of all high elves you have a lot of battle line choices.

At 80 points you can take D. elf Dreadspears or H. elf Spearmen or Wood elf Waywatcher(you will have a hard time finding waywatcher), Seraphone Skinks, Freeguild guard or Fyreslayer Vulkite berzerkers. I often use the vulkite berzerkers because 80pts and can posibly cause mortal wounds & have a 6+ save from mortal wounds. down side is only 5 models vers 10 spearmen

There are also 100pt, 120pt,140pt,160pt, 200pt &220pt options. I personally hate the look of them but for the points the Stormcast Liberators at 100pts for 5 2 wound models is probably the best battleline unit in Order for the points.

My wife has started a high Elf army. She is running;

high warden

5 Reavers

5 Reavers

10 Archers

10 Sisters of Averlorn 

repeating bolt thrower 

Total: 1,000

The Reavers are awesome battle line troops. Extremely fast and great at harassment. The bolt throwers are great ranged threats. The Archers bubble wrap the bolt thrower and add ranged pressure. The sisters are brutal but expensive. My wife loves them, but I probably would swap them out for 10 more Archers and a seahelm with a standard if it was up to me. Lastly the High Warden is designated counter assault. His job is to mop up the units that have already been softened up by the rest of the army. He needs the quicksilver potion to  last longer when he gets charged in return.

For the next jump to 1,500 she will add a 3rd reaver squad and a Celestum Hurricanum. The Hurricanum solves Fulminators dilemma, and other tough nuts to crack.

My wife has started a high Elf army. She is running;
high warden
5 Reavers
5 Reavers
10 Archers
10 Sisters of Averlorn 
repeating bolt thrower 
Total: 1,000
The Reavers are awesome battle line troops. Extremely fast and great at harassment. The bolt throwers are great ranged threats. The Archers bubble wrap the bolt thrower and add ranged pressure. The sisters are brutal but expensive. My wife loves them, but I probably would swap them out for 10 more Archers and a seahelm with a standard if it was up to me. Lastly the High Warden is designated counter assault. His job is to mop up the units that have already been softened up by the rest of the army. He needs the quicksilver potion to  last longer when he gets charged in return.
For the next jump to 1,500 she will add a 3rd reaver squad and a Celestum Hurricanum. The Hurricanum solves Fulminators dilemma, and other tough nuts to crack.

What about swapping the sisters for a Sea Helm and a unit of Sea Guard?

3 hours ago, Kytlock said:

What about swapping the sisters for a Sea Helm and a unit of Sea Guard?

Would rather have the 10 Archers to get the 20 strong bonus, plus the sea helm so that they hit and wound on 3's. Archers have better range and the once per game double tap. My wife loves the sisters models though, and they do work. Last 40 points I'd probably grab a griff hound to protect the bolt thrower.

I have been considering expanding on the Spire of Dawn Aelves. I like the battallion but it gets awkward fast if you want to expand and add anything. Think there are any good ways to build out to 1500 points and still use most of the units in there? 

I have also been thinking of trying a mostly swifthawk force like this, taking advantage of the warden's stacking totem ability. Any thoughts on this list? Should put out good firepower with the loremaster buffing the bolt throwers and the wardens buffing everything else, but worried about fragility.

Sky Warden - 160
Sky Warden - 160
Loremaster - 100
5 Reavers - 160
5 Reavers - 160
5 Reavers - 160
30 Spireguard - 360
Bolt Thrower - 120
Bolt Thrower - 120

Just now, Jgroover said:

Sky Warden - 160
Sky Warden - 160
Loremaster - 100
5 Reavers - 160
5 Reavers - 160
5 Reavers - 160
30 Spireguard - 360
Bolt Thrower - 120
Bolt Thrower - 120

I think the issue with this list is that as soon as anything comes into melee range your units will start falling fast.  I feel like you need a unit that can hold up your targets and give you the chance you need to shoot them to death.

3 hours ago, Jgroover said:

What would be the best option for that role? Phoenix Guard? Also thought of dropping 10 spireguard to pick up two great eagles to chaff and delay charges for a turn to get some extra shooting in. 

Phoenix Guard would be great with their ward save (or whatever it's called)

In a pinch the loremaster can use mystic shield to help a unit out as well.

10 hours ago, Jgroover said:

What would be the best option for that role? Phoenix Guard? Also thought of dropping 10 spireguard to pick up two great eagles to chaff and delay charges for a turn to get some extra shooting in. 

I've been wanting to try a list with Dragon Blades for just that purpose.

I'm a little torn. I was at a GW store and the guy I was talking to recommended both Phoenix Guard and Dragon Blades. Said the Halberds were great for protecting ranged and holding objectives, and that the Blades were a solid heavy cavalry choice. So should I run both or just focus on one sub-faction? I really like Phoenix Temple, but saw earlier that Dragonlords are solid.

Interesting discussion!

Not to highjack it, but I'm wondering if we can expand to other elves?

I've been tinkering with a Wanderer list:

Leader:

Glade Lord on Great Stag

Spellweaver

Treelord Ancient

Battleline:

Glade Riders

Dryads

Sisters of the Thorn

For what it's worth, I find the Glade Riders to be worth the points...

Thoughts?

Interesting discussion!
Not to highjack it, but I'm wondering if we can expand to other elves?
I've been tinkering with a Wanderer list:
Leader:
Glade Lord on Great Stag
Spellweaver
Treelord Ancient

Battleline:
Glade Riders
Dryads
Sisters of the Thorn

For what it's worth, I find the Glade Riders to be worth the points...

Thoughts?

This topic is for Aelves (All Elves) of all types man!

I unfortunately don't know much but I'll take a look at some warscrolls and give you my two cents.

I recently ran mixed Aelves at a 2000pt tournament with mixed results 2 Major wins 2 Major losses and 1 Minor loss.

The list I ran was;

Dragonlord's Host Battalion:
Dragonlord
Dragon Blades x 5
Dragon Blades x 5

Leaders
Glade Lord on Forest Dragon
Shadow Dancer
Mistweaver Saih

Battleline
Waywatchers x3
Waywatchers x3
Waywatchers x3

Other Troops
Executioners x 10
Sisters of the Thorns x 5

Basic idea was to use the Shadow dancers spell to double the movement of the forest dragon and the once per game move in hero phase from the dragonlord's host to alpha strike something of value that didn't expect me to get around screening units so quickly and use the forest dragons breathe ability to stop retaliation until the units had been hit by 2 units of knights and both dragons. Mistweaver was included for a cheap mystic shield and the Sisters of the thorns unique spell had good value as did (surprisingly) their javelin damage.

Waywatchers preformed as expected, caused some battle shock in chaff units and shot off the odd cheap hero combined they were 21 shots hitting on 3's generating on 6's and wounding on 4's at no rend so not a huge amount of wound output but they cleared a path for charges more than once so were reasonably happy with them.  The Forest dragons ability won me my two wins without a doubt, being able to swing 4 units at a 30 strong block of infantry or a dangerous monster before it retaliates can be a game changer.

Points where the list struggled was a lack of bodies, a big block of spears would go a long way against other offensive melee lists and towards scoring objectives that relied on more models within 6" the damage output of the Dragon blades let me down but they are fairly durable against non-mortal wounds and with their speed they were able to damage and tie up important units so I don't think I will drop the battalion. The Dragons themselves seem very unreliable without buffs to hit as the whiff often with the jaws account so that will be taken into account next list.

So that kind of turned from a list overview to a review from myself, any other C+C would be appreciated though.

Archived