New Stormcast vs Destruction!

Lord Aquillor

So the meta around my area seems to mostly be Beastclaw Raiders and Ironjaws.  At least, the guys that I am actually concerned with beating run these two lists primarily.  Now, I own BCR myself but just picked up a new Vanguard Auxiliary Chamber worth of the new models.  Plan on running the following, Full Justicar Battalion with Longstrike Cross Bows, Angelos battalion with just one unit of paladors and 3x5 units of Hunters, one grpyh hound. Knight Venator, Lord Castellant with strife ender, and lord Aquilor (Shielded by faith, Keen Clawed, and ?).  

The idea is to set up as many people in pursuit as possible and deep strike the Paladors.  Leaving just the Knight, Lord Castellant, Raptors, Aetherwings and Hound to hold down the backfield.  Aetherwings intercept any charging units to screen Raptors making a first turn charge impossible. Gryph hounds guard the back end of the raptors with a warning cry if they are flanked, ambushed, ect.  Castellant hangs close by to provide counter punch in combat phase and help hold any homefield objectives.

Lord Aquilor and Hunters all arrive and shootoff and then head to objectives with Paladors.  Lord A then uses his command ability to reposition tarpitted units as needed or rescue units from unfavorable combats.  The Raptors will focus on HVTs and heroes.  If it is a Thundertusk they will shoot each for 4 damage first before proceeding to the next.  If they are facing down a Stonehorn, they will shoot it until it's dead along with the rest of the army and Knight V.  

Having owned and played BCR, I feel comforable in that matchup.  The real question is what to do vs Ironjaws and what units to prioritize killing?  

Against brutes the new antibravery setup could be a thing.

Also Ironjawz are fast but not as fast as BCR (stonehorn) with only (hero phase move + battalion move (if they run that) + regular move + charge) threat range.

They can hit hard mind you. I'd still say BCR or mixed destruction (with BCR behemoths) is a tougher slog.

55 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Against brutes the new antibravery setup could be a thing.

Also Ironjawz are fast but not as fast as BCR (stonehorn) with only (hero phase move + battalion move (if they run that) + regular move + charge) threat range.

They can hit hard mind you. I'd still say BCR or mixed destruction (with BCR behemoths) is a tougher slog.

What anti-bravery setup are you referencing?

Yeah I'm more worried about BCR myself.  Even owning a bunch of BCR, I feel dirty playing them.  I hope the GHB2 addresses their points better.  Maybe remove TT from battleline as well (Unless maybe Frostlord on TT is your general). 

Anyway, back to SCE ;), I really want to see if the Raptor battlaion is worth it.  The extra to hit and what not is nice, but taking a max unit of 9 LSCBs may be better.  Then your Lord Aquilor can just hurricane them around the board each turn into shooting position.  They should be able to reach anything they like in this case.  

Something like this maybe?  Basically, just have both Lord Aquilor's use their command ability to teleport both units of Raptors into firing position each turn while the Hunter go cap objectives and or harass.  Winning on objectives will be hard vs most armies but you should be able to table a lot of lists.  I cant see any particular armies this would have trouble with as you can basically move your people wherever you like each turn.  The issue though is objectives. 

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Leaders
Lord Aquilor (200)
- General
- Trait: Consummate Commander - Stormcast Eternals
- Artefact: Quicksilver Draught 
- Gryph-Charger Trait: Keen-clawed
Lord Aquilor (200)
Knight Venator (120)

Battleline
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (140)
- Stormcast Eternals Battleline (Lord Aquilor General)

Units
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (540)
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (480)

Total: 1960/2000

Depends on the lists your opponents run. Ironjawz tend to run 2 different setups - MSU or brute bombs. Either way, sniping the heroes doesn't work well, because they doesn't add much to the strength of the other units and generally the brutes unit is elected as general (except Warchanter, but even without him, brutes annihilate everything on their way). Force bravery tests on them, if you intend to use the list above, as you don't have heavy-hitters or anything equal in CC. And as everyone else said - don't let the 4" speed fool you, they are fast as hell, but a little bit random.

About the BCR. Shoot Thundertusks and pray the Stonehorns don't smash you into the ground. ;)

13 hours ago, Lord Aquillor said:

Something like this maybe?  Basically, just have both Lord Aquilor's use their command ability to teleport both units of Raptors into firing position each turn while the Hunter go cap objectives and or harass.  Winning on objectives will be hard vs most armies but you should be able to table a lot of lists.  I cant see any particular armies this would have trouble with as you can basically move your people wherever you like each turn.  The issue though is objectives. 

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Leaders
Lord Aquilor (200)
- General
- Trait: Consummate Commander - Stormcast Eternals
- Artefact: Quicksilver Draught 
- Gryph-Charger Trait: Keen-clawed
Lord Aquilor (200)
Knight Venator (120)

Battleline

Units
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (540)
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (480)

Total: 1960/2000

If you're doing double aquilor just do double longstrikes. The hurricanes don't benefit that much from his command ability(since they only get 6 shots) and are a lot better in smaller units for debuff stacking and having more primes.

5 hours ago, BURF1 said:

If you're doing double aquilor just do double longstrikes. The hurricanes don't benefit that much from his command ability(since they only get 6 shots) and are a lot better in smaller units for debuff stacking and having more primes.

True.  I'd personally run it with double Longstrike units.  Just using it as an example.  Im sure someone much more clever than I can come up with a suitable list. :) 

Archived