Clann Lheabridf - Fimirach from the mists of Albion

APH

I've recently launched my first Age of Sigmar project - exploring and expanding upon the Fimir.  This project is heavily influenced by the old Dark Shadows campaign, mixed with Game of Thrones and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.  You can dive into my blog for more information.

I'm a very lazy painter, so no Golden Daemon quality work here.  So far, I have two models half-finished.  I'm hoping that the rest of my basing materials will show up this week so I can wrap them up:

nJ9gW3Ul.jpg

Weylin the Shambler, Dark Emissary of the outcast god Malice.  I attempted to replicate the cover of the old Dark Shadows campaign booklet.  In-game he'll count as a Great Bray-Shaman.

coSqUEXl.jpg

Lheabridf Crow-Tongue, Meargh of the Clann.  She'll be a Savage Orc Shaman.

I'm currently getting my Finmor (warlord/Fimir Warrior) ready for priming, and have been collecting parts for a Greater Fenbeast (Rogue Idol of Gork).  There's a lot of work to be done...

Thanks!  I'm already having a lot of fun with this - it's great to break out of the established themes and techniques that I've been using for 40K.  It's been a long time since I've done this much experimentation!

I'm aiming for about 100 wounds, with the Greater Fenbeast typically being a summoned Monster through the Dark Emissary/Great Bray-Shaman.  I keep changing unit sizes and their "count as" representation, but so far I've been on track for that.  Here's one of my early blog entries that gives a general outline.

What a unique army! Those are some weird looking humans, they really add a lot of character.

that Fenbeast is amazing! It looks like it could use some brighter highlights for contrast, though maybe just where the light would hit as I get the feeling it's a swamp critter made from mud.

Thanks!  Emphasizing the cruelty of the Fimir, I approached the slave fighters with the concept that they've been toiling in the Fimir stronghold for so long that they've forgotten what they are.  Kind of like how Sauron made the Orcs from broken Elves in the Lord of the Rings films.  (The books are a little more ambiguous.)

You're spot-on with regards to the Fenbeast - they're something like a swamp elemental, conjured from the surrounding mud and vegetation.  As such, it's pretty much a walking base itself.  Each time I add detail to the base, I do the same to the Fenbeast to keep it consistent.  I have a few steps to go, but I'll definitely take your highlighting suggestion into consideration!  There are plenty of roots and other details that could use some special attention as I wrap it up.

I used Elysian Green as the base for the Meargh as I wanted her to be old and pale.  I used Loren Forest as the base for the Finmor (and the future Fimir Warriors), which is a darker shade.

It's surprising - I spent the bare minimal effort on bases for my 40K army, and this time around I spend more time on them than I do the model!  Though, now that I've refined my technique it's going quicker.  And each project continues to grow in complexity.  It's great to put everything in the display cabinet and see the progression from my first model to my latest.

The largest mental hurdle has been accepting that everything looks terrible until it's finished.  I've freaked out a few times when one step or another didn't turn out as expected, but I'm getting better at not only hiding the flaws but also working them into the personality of the model.  Half of it is unexpected advancement, half is retrospective justification.  ;)

Archived