two 2k sylvaneth lists

Sneak

Two lists for consideration for an upcoming event in NA. Any tips and feedback would be awesome! Unsure about spells and artifacts for now.

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
- Deepwood Spell: None
Treelord Ancient (300)
Branchwraith (100)

Battleline
10 x Dryads (120)
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (180)
- Scythes
- Greatbows
- Greatbows
- Greatbows
- Greatbows

Battalions
Household (20)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (80)

Total: 2000/2000

List 2 ( having a hard time with the akwardness of the point values for this list. ) 

Leaders
Treelord Ancient (300)
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
Branchwych (100)
Branchwraith (100)

Battleline
10 x Dryads (120)
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline

Units
- Scythes
- Greatbows
- Greatbows

Behemoths
Treelord (260)

Battalions
Gnarlroot Wargrove (80)
Household (20)

The first.. but getting a hurricanum might be nice too. Park 2 units of bow hunters on an objective dryads in a forest on the other if needed and just try to hold on and win on kill points. Scythes and Drycha could try to take other objectives.

Both lists will struggle against lists that alpha strike (Ie get in your face turn 1, either by fast movement or teleporting). 

Bringing a Hurricanum as part of your Allegiance via the Gnarlroot Battalion will improve the output of your bow hunters, meaning that 3 units will have the same output as 4 unbuffed units, and it opens up a potentially very large amount of mortal wounds from its shooting. 

To counter the alpha strike lists, Dryads are very important as they can absorb the first wave and then you can step in and respond with overwhelming firepower. 

Tree Revenants are ok at hunting weaker units or warmachines, but aren't hardy enough to survive on an objective, and at 100 points they have to work very hard to earn their place. 

The Branchwych is an overlooked menace! Her warscroll spell ahead of a shooting phase can completely change the landscape. With the Silverwood Circlet she rolls her casting value against every enemy unit within 15" and causes mortal wounds on 6+. Sounds a bit naff right?

But given that you roll it against every enemy unit (and there will be a lot against armies like Ironjawz, Stormcast, Khorne), you can cause a lot of withering damage. And you then have a robust shooting phase to help you pick off the most wounded targets. 

If you take Throne of Vines, you add D3 dice to this each time. If you take Verdant Blessing, you can summon forests 24" away from her, which is a much needed boost. 

If you can put her on a Balewind Vortex, then she will wreck. And can summon forests 48" away. 

Dryads are an important part of your army, as are woods, as when they're nearby one, they gain -1 to hit, which takes away the Mortal Wound or Generate Extra attacks on 6's that are so popular. They'll still die, but their death should mean that something hasn't been able to hit your general or hunters with this first wave of attacks. 

The Branchwych is good in that she adds two extra spells, but not essential. If you're playing 3 places of power, then she can do quite well if you have a wood near an objective and if you give her the Briarsheath, making her a whooping -2 to hit! She can be frustrating to shift without spellcasting. 

On 2/22/2017 at 7:39 AM, RossMHoward said:

Both lists will struggle against lists that alpha strike (Ie get in your face turn 1, either by fast movement or teleporting). 

thanks for the feedback. Some reflection and adjustments. Its hard spam to fit a lot hunters into the list and keep 3 places of power. So the compromise was dropping the battalions. Thoughts?

Allegiance: Sylvaneth

Leaders
Treelord Ancient (300)
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
Branchwych (100)

Battleline
10 x Dryads (120)
10 x Dryads (120)
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline

Units
- Scythes
- Greatbows
- Greatbows
- Greatbows

Behemoths
Treelord (260)

1 hour ago, Shorewood said:

I wouldn't drop the battalions, you loose out on spells, resurrecting dead Kurnoth hunters (incredibly strong) and 2 artifacts.  

I totally forgot about the spell bonus! Here's an updated list. I'm stumped how to fit 10 more dryads instead of tree revs 

Leaders
Treelord Ancient (300)
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
Branchwych (100)

Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline
10 x Dryads (120)

Units
- Scythes
- Scythes
- Greatbows
- Greatbows
- Greatbows

Battalions
Household (20)
Gnarlroot Wargrove (80)

I've worked on the same problem for quite a while and I am afraid if you intend to bring that many kurnoth hunters you are going to be seriously skimping on your battline choices.  On one hand it leaves you light on chaff, on the other hand 15 Kurnoth hunters.  

1 hour ago, Shorewood said:

I've worked on the same problem for quite a while and I am afraid if you intend to bring that many kurnoth hunters you are going to be seriously skimping on your battline choices.  On one hand it leaves you light on chaff, on the other hand 15 Kurnoth hunters.  

I struggles with the battle line choices sylvaneth have when compared to other factions :/

You needn't feel sorry for yourself over battleline choices. Dryads are fantastic. They can gain +1 to hit a single unit in combat to be hitting on 3's. They move 7 so are fast enough to score objectives, even outside of teleporting. And near a wood they're -1 to hit. 

Also with 2 attacks each and 2" range, they can do a surprising amount of damage. 

To make room for more hunters and dryads, my advice would be to drop the Treelord. They look great on paper, but with their big ticket attacks being behind -1 rend, they're often negated.

Also, that Treelord can't take much needed artefacts to buff it's survivability. 

Drycha on the otherhand can't take artefacts as she's a named character. She's good but tends to rely on a certain kind of opponent to reach her full potential. 

Where's an extra unit of Kurnoth hunters and 5 more revenants don't have to gamble on the type of army you're facing to be effective. 

Your list is great. But the advice given here is to take you from an average tournament list to an above average tournament list. That might not be your style though, so I recommend practising with what you have as much as possible. As experience with an army counts for a lot more than whether 300 or so points of your list have been spent on the correct combo ;)

If you lost Drycha, my advice would be to bring either more hunters and a Balewind Vortex, or a Branchwraith (for an extra two spells and for somebody to carry your 3rd artefact) and some more hunters. 

You could also take a Balewind Vortex which gives you the ability to summon a forest 36 inches away (48 if you take the Silverwood Circlet)

I love Drycha she is one of our primary sources of mortal wounds and even against elite armies whose units are only 5 men her squirmlings will still end up doing 3 or 4 mortal wounds which hurts everything.  And if you end up facing a large mob, just stand and laugh madly.  and if you are facing Skaven you are even allowed to cackle. 

That is a very strong list with the Kurnoth hunters doing a good job at taking down more elite enemies and Drycha focusing on mobs. 

On February 24, 2017 at 6:40 AM, RossMHoward said:

You needn't feel sorry for yourself over battleline choices. Dryads are fantastic. They can gain +1 to hit a single unit in combat to be hitting on 3's. They move 7 so are fast enough to score objectives, even outside of teleporting. And near a wood they're -1 to hit. 

Also with 2 attacks each and 2" range, they can do a surprising amount of damage. 

To make room for more hunters and dryads, my advice would be to drop the Treelord. They look great on paper, but with their big ticket attacks being behind -1 rend, they're often negated.

Also, that Treelord can't take much needed artefacts to buff it's survivability. 

Drycha on the otherhand can't take artefacts as she's a named character. She's good but tends to rely on a certain kind of opponent to reach her full potential. 

Where's an extra unit of Kurnoth hunters and 5 more revenants don't have to gamble on the type of army you're facing to be effective. 

Your list is great. But the advice given here is to take you from an average tournament list to an above average tournament list. That might not be your style though, so I recommend practising with what you have as much as possible. As experience with an army counts for a lot more than whether 300 or so points of your list have been spent on the correct combo ;)

If you lost Drycha, my advice would be to bring either more hunters and a Balewind Vortex, or a Branchwraith (for an extra two spells and for somebody to carry your 3rd artefact) and some more hunters. 

You could also take a Balewind Vortex which gives you the ability to summon a forest 36 inches away (48 if you take the Silverwood Circlet)

Great input. Are you referring to the tree lord ancient? Or an older list. The most recent one I posted does not have one. I'm thinking at 2K 12 hunters might be the correct number. 

Archived