Fyreslayers/Duardin help

Solvanic

Hi All,

I have an order of fyreslayers coming that I need help deciding how to build out. They will be a smallish force accompanying my normal duardin. I am deciding between making the Forge Brethren formation or the Lords of the Lodge. Forge brethren is tempting because it will give me even more shooting, and the armor buff I think is decent as I can use it on either part of the army. The Lords of the Lodge turn ability I feel like would work well with my long range Quareller unit, getting to shoot 2x in a row should be devastating. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I have ordered:

1 magmadroth

15  auric hearthguard/hearthguard bezerkers

15 vulkites

The core of my Duardin list is:

30 Quarrelers

3 runelords

Burloksson

Miners

Gyrocopter

various artillery (depending on points left, I have 2 bolt thrower, 2 cannon, 1 flame cannon)

I would go for lords of the lodge. 

But I tried to build a list with your stuff and I ran into problem with battleline. How are you going to solve that? (Or are you playing without that restriction).

Edit: Or I would go for neither lords of the lodge or forge brethren if I would try to make a strong list with what you have ordered. I would have one unit of 15 vulkites going with a magmadroth (maybe runefather) and one unit of 15 aurics to tunnel with a runesmiter.

I posted to the other thread. But here it is copied: 

Hey, first, congrats on Fyreslayers and mixing with the master race is clearly the wisest move one could make. :P

I see a lot of synergy with FB as the armor save buff would be great on duardin. When I finally do mix the two factions my ironbreakers will be rock hard. The thing about LoL is you need all 3 heroes alive to get max advantage of +3. If it looks unlikely, I do it turn 2 before the heroes are targeted and eliminated. Sometimes turn 3 if that's what the strategy calls for. So if you hold them back and say, get double turn to shoot up army as it barrels down on you then have the LoL hearthguard come out and finish the job that's cool, just make sure you get the full advantage of them. They are BRUTAL, especially now with cheaper costs to get more. I take a unit of 15-20 with flaming poleaxe, mortal wound on 3+ for each hit in addition to damage, and pile in and attack twice. If, after you pop your priority roll bonus, you get your LoL up on the objective or key fighting point, have the battlesmith die, declare guarding the icon (can't move rest of game so that's why key spot) and then pile in and attack twice, rerolling hits and wounds. That's a *BEEEEEEP!* ton of attacks and likely mortal wounds. It's gross. I've wiped away armies with that trick.:D

Good luck and please do share more. Always good to hear about people trying the Fyreslayers and I soon will do the mix now that I've completed 100 games with just solo Fyreslayers.

13 hours ago, Andreas said:

I would go for lords of the lodge. 

But I tried to build a list with your stuff and I ran into problem with battleline. How are you going to solve that? (Or are you playing without that restriction).

Edit: Or I would go for neither lords of the lodge or forge brethren if I would try to make a strong list with what you have ordered. I would have one unit of 15 vulkites going with a magmadroth (maybe runefather) and one unit of 15 aurics to tunnel with a runesmiter.

Battleline is 3 units of 5 vulkite bezerkers! 

So a 2k list with LoL would look something like this: (although I would like to make room for a gyrocopter/unit of miners somehow, suggestions?)

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (260)
- General
Battlesmith (80)
- None
Auric Runemaster (80)
Grimm Burloksson (100)
Runelord (80)
Runelord (80)

Battleline
15 x Hearthguard Berzerkers (240)
- Throwing Axes & Poleaxe
- Fyreslayer Battleline (Runefather General)
5 x Vulkite Berzerkers (60)
- Handaxe & Slingshield
- Handaxe & Slingshield
- Handaxe & Slingshield

Units
30 x Quarrellers (360)
- None

War Machines
Flame Cannon (200)
Cannon (180)

Battalions
Lords of the Lodge (160)

Total: 2000/2000

And with FB:

Leaders
Auric Runesmiter on Magmadroth (200)
- Latch axe
Grimm Burloksson (100)
Runelord (80)
Runelord (80)

Battleline
- Handaxe & Slingshield
- Handaxe & Slingshield
- Handaxe & Slingshield
5 x Auric Hearthguard (80)
- Magmapike
- Fyreslayer Battleline (Runemaster General)
- Magmapike
- Magmapike

Units
30 x Quarrellers (360)
- None

Behemoths
Celestial Hurricanum (320)

War Machines
Cannon (180)
Cannon (180)

Battalions
Forge Brethren (80)

I believe the first list is much better. I would switch one runelord to a runesmiter on foot and tunnel the a unit or even the magmadroth. Tunneling is very strong even if you dont really deepstrike just to make something safe off table and be able to react to what the opponent is doing.

5 Vulkites is a very weak unit so if you could i the future make a unit of 15 and get maybe normalt duardin warriors as battleline a believe it would be much better.

2 hours ago, Andreas said:

I believe the first list is much better. I would switch one runelord to a runesmiter on foot and tunnel the a unit or even the magmadroth. Tunneling is very strong even if you dont really deepstrike just to make something safe off table and be able to react to what the opponent is doing.

5 Vulkites is a very weak unit so if you could i the future make a unit of 15 and get maybe normalt duardin warriors as battleline a believe it would be much better.

I have normal warriors but they are 100 points/unit! I know the vulkites are weak but if my opponent wants to waste shooting on them thats fine by me! They are just to claim things/ protect the ranged firepower

Sure, I get it. It's the lowest cost to get your battleline. 

But Vulkites as a unit are actually really really good but they only get good in larger numer, 15 minimum and even better 25+. It just (as a fyreslayer player) feels a bit as a waste of potential. :)

Given what you have this is probably how I would do it.

Leaders
Auric Runefather on Magmadroth (260)
- General
- Trait: Reckless
- Artefact: Quicksilver Potion
Battlesmith (80)
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone maybe
Auric Runemaster (80)
Auric Runesmiter (80)
Grimm Burloksson (100)
Runelord (80)

Battleline
15 x Vulkite Berzerkers (180) (Tunneling with the Runesmiter)
- War Pick Slingshield & Throwing Axes
- Throwing Axes & Poleaxe
10 x Dwarf Warriors (100)
10 x Dwarf Warriors (100)

Units
30 x Quarrellers (360)

War Machines
Cannon (180)

Battalions
Lords of the Lodge (160)

We all have our preferences but for me always the double weapons re-roll any hits. So hitting vs. something with -1 (lots of units/monsters), you reroll 1-5s. The warpick seems wasteful to me as rend 1 matters little in most armies I encounter. The 6 on charge to do a mortal wound is IMO nowhere near the damage output of a huge block of vulkites with 4+hair save, 2 attacks each rerolling misses (maybe next turn your smiter gives them rerolls wounds as well)? 

Don't forget though that the mortal wounds roll is for each model in the unit whereas you are unlikely to be able to get them all in to base to base. For a full 30 man unit on the charge it should average 5 mortal wounds and can be aimed at a different target to that whom you attack in the combat phase.

Manage to get one vulkite out of your 30 man unit into btb with a single 5 wound support hero on the charge whereas the rest are maneuvered to a attack the large unit he was supporting...roll 30 dice against the hero! Squish 

8 hours ago, Bimli said:

what is better to take with the  Vulkite Berzerkers  the axe or war pike? hitting on 3's wounds on 4's no rend or hitting on 4's wounding on 4's rend -1 ?

It's essentially a question of preference. I like my Vulkites to be quite versatile, so I go with warpicks and slingshields. +1 to saves when they don't charge (particularly if a Battlesmith is nearby) makes them excellent for holding the line. However, they are also pretty killy with rend and mortal wounds from their slingshields on the charge.

Double axes might be preferential against armies that don't have a lot of armour - like grots and witch aelves, for example. But for all comers, I prefer warpick and shield. Fits with the background for my army, too.

3 hours ago, Oberael said:

It's essentially a question of preference. I like my Vulkites to be quite versatile, so I go with warpicks and slingshields. +1 to saves when they don't charge (particularly if a Battlesmith is nearby) makes them excellent for holding the line. However, they are also pretty killy with rend and mortal wounds from their slingshields on the charge.

Double axes might be preferential against armies that don't have a lot of armour - like grots and witch aelves, for example. But for all comers, I prefer warpick and shield. Fits with the background for my army, too.

I am planning on building mine with shields for this reason I think. They will mostly be back within battlesmith range protecting the Quarrelers. 

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone is interested the list I decided to build first is:

Leaders
Auric Runefather (80)
Auric Runemaster (80)
Battlesmith (80)
- None
Grimm Burloksson (100)
Runelord (80)
Runelord (80)

Battleline
- Handaxe & Slingshield
- Handaxe & Slingshield
- Handaxe & Slingshield
- Throwing Axes & Broadaxe
- Fyreslayer Battleline (Runefather General)

Units
30 x Quarrellers (26 inch range, gets rend -2 buffed by Runelords)(360)
- None
10 x Miners (120)

Behemoths
Celestial Hurricanum (320)

War Machines
Dwarf Bolt Thrower (120)

Battalions
Lords of the Lodge (160)

125 wounds of hard dwarf 

Archived