1k Mixed Aelves

swiftmus

Hello TGA,

My 1000 point Slaanesh army is getting close to completion and I'm planning my next small force. For a couple of reasons I'd like to build a 1000 point mixed elf army next. I have some wanderers painted up which just need rebasing onto rounds, since they're ready to go already and I've enjoyed the little I've played with them so far I would like to include them in the list (it also helps that Glade Guard are generic battleline). I've also ordered the Eldar Triumvirate of Ynnead box and am planning on converting the dark elfy looking one into a dragon Sorceress/Dreadlord by having her on the base of the dark elf dragon (which I also already have painted). The conversion would involve attaching some sort of leash from her hand to the dragon.

I have available and ready to go the following:

20 Glade Guard
10 Sisters of the Watch
5 Sisters of the Thorn
a Dragon

The less new stuff I have to buy the better so I'm thinking something like the following:

- Sorceress on Black Dragon (340)
- Nomad Prince (80) [general]

- 20 Glade Guard [battleline] (240)
- 10 Dreadspears [battleline] (80)

- 5 Sisters of the Thorn (220)

This leaves me 40 points shy of 1000. I'm worried this list doesn't really have enough combat power and not sure whether the Waywatcher or Prince would be best. Other options involve splitting the glade guard into two units of 10 to free up some points, could then replace the dreadspears with eternal guard. Any suggestions would be great and I'll consider anything elves (avoiding finecast where possible).

I play pure wanderers and always go with your nomad prince. Stock up BATTLELINE glade guard and have him close to them. At 1000 points I go with 20 glade guard and 3 waywatchers as my BATTLELINE. Usually I hold my waywatchers back on an objective.

i also have a spellweaver, waystrider, 20 eternal guard and 5 sisters of the thorn (which are ****** amazing, the spell is unreal on eternal guard). I really gave my last opponents sylvaneth army a run for her money. I killed spirit of durthu with my glade guard and eternal guard one shotted a unit of 20 dryads with the 4+ mortal wound bounce. Although wanderers look weak on paper, if you play them strategically and defensively you can't go wrong.

if I was you and wanted a mixed elf list, I'd add some Phoenix guard and sisters of the thorn. That combo would be insane. 

I definitely want to use the models from the triumvirate, but I see your point. I reckon the red armoured swordsman could make a neat high-fantasy Nomad Prince so perhaps I will instead build separate wanderers and dark elf lists. I wanted to avoid compendium units but I do have 3 way watchers so I guess I could use them. All I'd need to buy would be the eternal guard.

Wouldn't 12 waywatchers be better than 20 glade guard? Same points and more shots a turn. They don't have as many wounds, but they have a better save. 

I like the dragon choice. I'm planning on one in a 1000pt list too. 

Does anyone use wardancers? I like the models and wonder if they are effective. 

You could use waywatchers, but passing up -3 rend potential and +1 to hit if the units over 20 models is far greater than doubling your shots. My glade guard brought spirit of durthu down last game, waywatchers seem to always under perform. 

I haven't used wardancers, but I've been on the receiving end of a unit of 20 of them and they blended my unit of 10 retributors to dust. They are awesome! 

Yes, the one time rend modifier is missed. I remember from earlier editions that thiswas pretty critical. But, watchers hit on a 3+ all times, not just at 20+ models.  (And just to clarify: watchers need to double their attacks to match the guard on points/shot). I guess it comes down to a late game/early game impact. 

Nice to hear about the dancers!

Archived