How to play Death

Celestant651

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Andreas said:

To give chunk85 some credit he did, (if it was you), place 4:th in argubly the most compeditative age of sigmar tournament up to date using the legion of death.

Can't you write a little bit more how you played it. What was good or bad matchups using the legion? What was good or bad battleplans using the legion etc..

I think it would add a lot to the how to play death discussion.

Yes, that was me.  Something of a surprise all round that.  Just going to assume everyone roughly know what I was using by now.

Its not particually big or clever pushing that many models around.  I did not properly finish two games (though one of those was due to a slow ass motherf...) and even in the games I did, it was an effort.  I seriously cant emphasise that enough, if you can/will not learn to play fast with that list, you will not get past turn 2. 

Start the game with the end in mind, the only game I lost was due to me being a mong and trying to kill enemy models (Hi Byron!) rather sitting on objectives.  I did nearly get tabled by Sylvaneth in three places, but I'd seized all objectives in the first turn with three characters with Cloak of Mist and Shadows (Kemmler, compendium using scumbag that I am) and my opponent could only seize with two characters.  Having no rend against Allariele was crippling.

A pair of Wight Kings were a redundancy system.  The general buffed Minions to a 5+, the other carried an Infernal Standard for an additional 6+.  Killing either had the same drop in surviveability.  Minions is incredibly hard to completely erase as the Necromancer and Kemmler have a special 4/2+ wound deflection mechanic.

If you play it right, you end up with 40 skellies sat on an objective with 3 saves and a potential 4 attacks range 2"  each.  Once you get the hang of it, its actually quite dull and I'll admit its probably not much fun for your opponent.  But again, dont think its easy pushing that many models around, it is  simple on paper and principle.

6 minutes ago, chunk85 said:

Yes, that was me.  Something of a surprise all round that.  Just going to assume everyone roughly know what I was using by now.

Its not particually big or clever pushing that many models around.  I did not properly finish two games (though one of those was due to a slow ass motherf...) and even in the games I did, it was an effort.  I seriously cant emphasise that enough, if you can/will not learn to play fast with that list, you will not get past turn 2. 

Start the game with the end in mind, the only game I lost was due to me being a mong and trying to kill enemy models (Hi Byron!) rather sitting on objectives.  I did nearly get tabled by Sylvaneth in three places, but I'd seized all objectives in the first turn with three characters with Cloak of Mist and Shadows (Kemmler, compendium using scumbag that I am) and my opponent could only seize with two characters.  Having no rend against Allariele was crippling.

A pair of Wight Kings were a redundancy system.  The general buffed Minions to a 5+, the other carried an Infernal Standard for an additional 6+.  Killing either had the same drop in surviveability.  Minions is incredibly hard to completely erase as the Necromancer and Kemmler have a special 4/2+ wound deflection mechanic.

If you play it right, you end up with 40 skellies sat on an objective with 3 saves and a potential 4 attacks range 2"  each.  Once you get the hang of it, its actually quite dull and I'll admit its probably not much fun for your opponent.  But again, dont think its easy pushing that many models around, it is  simple on paper and principle.

Cool. ?

Why not two infernal standards (also on your general) if you wanted redundency?

Did you feel the command abillity (extra attack) was needed on your skellies? Or could instead being a bit safer and putting a unit champ as the general be a good option (in a tournament game)?

So you had the cloak on both wight kings? Did you use it outside the 3 places of power game? Could a nightmare been as good? What would you have taken if not the cloak?

Did you find the mortise engine usefull in you list?

1 minute ago, Andreas said:

Cool. ?

Why not two infernal standards (also on your general) if you wanted redundency?

Did you feel the command abillity (extra attack) was needed on your skellies? Or could instead being a bit safer and putting a unit champ as the general be a good option (in a tournament game)?

So you had the cloak on both wight kings? Did you use it outside the 3 places of power game? Could a nightmare been as good? What would you have taken if not the cloak?

Did you find the mortise engine usefull in you list?

It can be hard to convey emotion in an internet post, but I honestly I didnt take this list that seriously.  I took something that I knew would be hard to deal with and hopefully bag a qualification.  I took stuff that I thought looked cool, and I wanted to use my favourite two characters from the Old World, Kemmler and Krell.

The extra attack has made the difference between wiping units out and units running away to capture objectives.  Pile in dependant, its potentially an extra 20-30 attacks.  Otherwise, making a unit champ the general... does not feel right.  I'm really not that 'into' tournament games enough to sacrifice my rule of cool.

The cloak was useful for the King with banner, as once he has planted he cannot move.  As the cloak is 're-deploy', and not movement, he cab keep the range at 18". Though, I know it is contentious.  In the end I didnt use it for that purpose so no arguments there.  Until the FAQ's they both cut about with rings.  I could of cut points somewhere to buy one ring afterward, but I had everything painted and I rarely used them anyway.

I love the Spooky Ghost Bus, and all but one opponent gave it far too much credit in game.  The one time D3 mortal wounds bomb is funny to use though.

Well done again! So much of the current meta is about elite units and mortal wound spam. A blanket of 5+ ward models with reasonably decent melee attacks is a natural soft counter. I'm a little surprised that people allowed you to flood the objectives. Sylvaneth would seem sot be a big problem for this, since they laugh at rend "-".

18 minutes ago, Nico said:

Well done again! So much of the current meta is about elite units and mortal wound spam. A blanket of 5+ ward models with reasonably decent melee attacks is a natural soft counter. I'm a little surprised that people allowed you to flood the objectives. Sylvaneth would seem sot be a big problem for this, since they laugh at rend "-".

Sylvaneth laugh at a lot of things.  I played a 1500 point game against them today (my GW tends to do only 1000-1500 points, never 2k), against a new player  He fielded:  Spirit of Durthu, Treelord Ancient, two units of 10 Dryads, 3 Kurnoth Hunters w/Bows, 3 Kurnoth Hunters w/Greatswords and a Branchwych with the Acorn of Ages.  By the end of his first turn, half the board was covered in wyldwoods (he placed one, consisting of two terrain pieces, at the start of the game.  His turn, he summoned two more, both also consisting of two pieces.  6 woods in total).  It was very brutal, and I felt like I had absolutely nothing that could match him.  I fielded (pure FEC): Ghoul King on Terrorgheist, Ghoul King on Foot (general w/Ruler of the Night), one unit of 20 ghouls, two units of 10 ghouls, one unit of 6 Horrors, a Varghulf Courtier, a Crypt Ghast Courtier and the Ghoul Patrol battalion.  

Was not a fun game.  This is how the board looked after his turn, before he brought his reserves (Durthu, dryads and the hunters with swords):

nTFkz5zh.jpg

Sylvaneth laugh at a lot of things.  I played a 1500 point game against them today (my GW tends to do only 1000-1500 points, never 2k), against a new player  He fielded:  Spirit of Durthu, Treelord Ancient, two units of 10 Dryads, 3 Kurnoth Hunters w/Bows, 3 Kurnoth Hunters w/Greatswords and a Branchwych with the Acorn of Ages.  By the end of his first turn, half the board was covered in wyldwoods (he placed one, consisting of two terrain pieces, at the start of the game.  His turn, he summoned two more, both also consisting of two pieces.  6 woods in total).  It was very brutal, and I felt like I had absolutely nothing that could match him.  I fielded (pure FEC): Ghoul King on Terrorgheist, Ghoul King on Foot (general w/Ruler of the Night), one unit of 20 ghouls, two units of 10 ghouls, one unit of 6 Horrors, a Varghulf Courtier, a Crypt Ghast Courtier and the Ghoul Patrol battalion.  

To be fair, FEC are probably the second worst army against Sylvaneth (Blightking based Nurgle are probably the worst), as their army has so little rend (Ghouls and HORRORS lacking rend. If they can weaken or take out the Flappies, then the 2+ rerolling ones Ancient/Durthu can just tie up and gradually kerb stomp the rest of the army.

Archived