Ideas for adding random events

Praecautus

Hi, I am developing a short narrative campaign for my son and his friends. This will be their first ever experience of campaigns, role play and battles so I want it to be memorable.

briefly they will each be leading a seraphon, stormcast or death army. I will be acting as a 'gm' and running bloodbpund as the main bad guys of the story. 

In some battles I want to add some cool random events and wanted some interesting mechanics to bring in random events as opposed to just dice rolling on table. For example putting events in faction specific envelopes which that player has to pick and open.

does any one have any other interesting ways of adding random events ?

if it helps, battles will range from small explore the map, flee the large enemy force and desperate last stand. So mechanics which fit with those themes would be good

thanks

Its definitely worth looking through some of the army books or supplements, there are loads of battle plans ranging for castle sieges, rescue the general etc. From my experience they have been really fun and often come down to the last dice roll. The Generals hand Book has some really fun multiplayer mission too.

As you're the GM, you've got a lot more free reign on adding in the random events as and when it's needed, plus in the format you'd like. I like the envelope idea, maybe use that first together with a roll on the table and see which they preferred? After all, rolls on a random table has a certain appeal & is probably one of the reasons why we're all in the hobby!

As important as it is to make it stick in their heads, kids are kids and it's likely that they don't need fancy tricks to keep them hooked. Start simple, step in when games are going unfairly lopsided (but equally a loss should be a loss) and observe what they react to.

As for other mechanics, maybe you can draw from their other hobbies as to what they like? If they are avid readers, maybe some riddles? If they like kitbashing, maybe give them a selection of bits to build a Hero who gets a bonus ability depending on the chosen item?

All the best for the campaign!

Thanks everyone for their input so far, several good ideas to mull over there - I will try to post some rports, photos and feedback

Our opening battle is planned and I have the skeleton of the campaign in place - just need to write, but that is what commutes are for

Archived