Painting my Sylvaneth

Nick in York

Yeah, I should probably credit the pic to GW York. I've tried taking pics at home but don't have the right lighting etc.
I dunno about the judging - those High Elves (or should it be Highborne Aelves now?) looked sweet. I did like both(?) Dwarf units too.

I dunno, personally I thought the mustard a bit flat. I actually thought Lardidar's bloodbound were fantastic, and agree on the dwarfs. If they had a basing prize you'd have it!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, great work! I've been painting for 35 years and I still can't get results like that.  I watch all kind of painting videos and read blogs, etc... anything you can recommend?

(I'm hindered by being extremely nearsighted and only being able to see out of one eye - no depth perception - but since I can't change that I'm always looking to improve my technique.  Friends tell me I'm a good painter but results like that are beyond my current ability.

• 1 month later...
On 02/12/2017 at 7:12 PM, HeadHunter said:

Wow, great work! I've been painting for 35 years and I still can't get results like that.  I watch all kind of painting videos and read blogs, etc... anything you can recommend?

(I'm hindered by being extremely nearsighted and only being able to see out of one eye - no depth perception - but since I can't change that I'm always looking to improve my technique.  Friends tell me I'm a good painter but results like that are beyond my current ability.

Sorry - I seem to have missed this when it was posted.

Um.. youtube videos; I tend to go to Tabletop Minions who have a guy called Sam doing painting tutorials sometimes. Also Vince Venturella. I also watched a lot of Doctor Faust's Painting Clinic a while ago as well as going to Warhammer TV for some techniques.

To be honest, I'm only just starting to get pleased with my work - it still doesn't match the picture in my head and my brush control needs developing a lot more. I use a wet palette and tend to build up layers using different colours.

I'm a bit nearsighted myself and have a lazy eye which effects my depth perception a little (to the point that when I put my glasses on it is like everything suddenly goes 3D!) - when doing detailed work I find it helpful to close my lazy eye and have the model over a plain white piece of paper.

The biggest problem I have is that I am extremely red-green colour blind. I am sure there are shades and colours on my minis that I can't even see!!

Another week of the painting comp at my local GW and here are my latest entries. The branchwych was painted before Christmas and I finished the Tree-Revenants a few days ago.

I tried some new techniques with the Tree-revs and wanted to improve some others (such as wet blending). Am pretty pleased with these, especially as I really struggled with them - 4 weeks of some of the most frustrating painting I've done. I feel like I learned so much though.

tmp_25596-FB_IMG_1490470596685-522438083.jpg

7 hours ago, Tzaangor Management said:

These are great. They look like they've just stepped out of a forest that is equal parts tree, spider web and mist (or perhaps I just stepped in, uninvited...). Fantastically characterful and, at the risk of repeating what's been said before, the bases are incredible and really tie the whole scheme together.

Thank you. I paint the tree stumps the same way as the bark of the sylvaneth but grey them out a little. It helps make them seem like they are part of the forest, not just in it.

On 2/12/2017 at 7:12 PM, HeadHunter said:

Don't put yourself down your work is fantastic.

On 30/03/2017 at 11:20 AM, Crowsfoot said:

@Nick in York those woods look great, really like how involved your basing is can you share where you get the basing materials from?

Most of the basing materials are from Basecrafts Deep Forest and Woodland basing kits. I'm not sure if Basecrafts still exists as a company but with a bit of googling you should be able to find a few of their basing kits around. They cost between £12-20.

I am trying to diversify what I use due to the difficulty in getting hold of the Basecrafts stuff. There are 3 model railway shops where I live so have bought some stuff from them. Those woods bases are made with a mix of 2 different types of model railway ballasts, a little of Basecrafts soil scatter (which I use on all the miniatures' bases) and some good ol' Yorkshire tea from the bags. On top of that is Basecrafts forest scatter - around the trees and a bit on the bases too. Then a whole load of PVA.

On 3/30/2017 at 6:18 AM, Crowsfoot said:

Don't put yourself down your work is fantastic.

Thank you so much! Very kind of you to say so.  I suppose we are all our own harshest critics, but still, I do like to admire when someone is capable of a technique or a result that's not yet in my toolbox.

One of the things that I really like about TGA over some of the other places that I visit, is that folks here seem to really take pride in their work and give it their best effort.  I've been really impressed by the quality of the minis I see posted on these boards.  I'd love to have the chance to face some of these lovely armies in battle one day, but I think there's only one or two other members in my area.

• 4 months later...

Nearly finished these guys - just waiting for PVA on the bases to dry before painting the rims.

Took my time and learnt so much. Enjoyed painting them far more than anything else I've done. I'm pretty pleased with them too. First models I've painted with W&N brushes and felt they helped with the new techniques I was trying out. Also feel I'm getting better at my layering and blending as well as trying more fine edge highlights.

Apologies for the poor quality picture - realised it was too late to get the best light so tried outside just as the sun is setting!

IMG_20170831_193852.jpg

IMG_20170831_193945.jpg

31 minutes ago, Forgingengineer said:

Great work, really like the TRs and the colour shades. what else are you working through?

Next up I'm taking a little break from painting trees (pretty much all I've done for a year!). I'm going to do a wizards project so that I have options when playing gnarlroot.

I have Mistweaver Saih, an old metal High Elf mage that I'm going to use as a Loremaster (he has a sword) and I've just bought the allies box of battle wizards from which I'm going to an amber and a jade wizard.

Am planning on trying zenithal priming with the wizards.

19 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Really love the pale fungi growing off them, works so well. Great work, nice to see some updates :)

Thanks, that's me now being able to actually achieve what I've been aiming for. Partly through practice and partly through better brushes.

I was really worried about how bright the quiverlings are throwing the colour balance off but they don't seem so bad now I've finished - I think the flowers have helped.

Dude, amazing work!! Love the muted, realistic tones you've used. My Wood Elves and Sylvaneth are autumn themed because I don't usually like the green look as much, but you've nailed it. The colors, the bases, everything looks so good. Now I want to do some deep forest themed Sylvaneth! :D

• 4 months later...
On 01/02/2018 at 8:17 PM, Ciciek said:

Your bases look amazing, can you share the kurnoth base recipe?

Hi Cicek, I use different modelling scenery bits and pieces. Mainly from the Basecrafts Deep  Forest and Woodlands basing kits. They both contain a soil scatter which is almost always my first layer. Then I add forest scatter from the same kits as well as some grass and flower tufts I've picked up from model railway stops. The Basecrafts kits also have some resin logs and tree stumps which I glue on the base at the same time as building the model. The moss is some fine turf type scatter and some lichen as well. I have various other leaf scatters too.

I put it together by thinking about how it it would be laid down in nature too. So tree stumps/logs, then soil, then plants/grass, then forest/leaf scatter, finally mossy type stuff. All fairly random.

I learnt a lot from youtube - especially Vince Venturella and the Terrain Tutor. 

Hope that helps.

Archived