Annihilation of Hysh - Destruction Map Campaign

StoneMonk

I discussed this on the latest Mortal Realms podcast, episode 13 (All-Gates) that released on Saturday, and I had been hoping to post it. Given the new Narrative and Open Play sections, seemed like a great time to do so. 

Annihilation of Hysh is a variation of the Map Campaign structure provided in the General's Handbook. Everyone in our gaming group was building a destruction army when we started; Beastclaw, Bonesplitters, Ironjaws, and Moonclan.

I wanted this to be dead easy, and theme-y, so I made a few changes:

1. Destory! So instead of controlling cities, we're razing them to the ground!!

2. Hometown Locations. instead of using a fantasy map from the campaign books, we took a section of map from our town (Madison, WI) and made up Hysh names for landmarks we would all recognize. It was fun and made the destruction more, personal.

3. Arms Race Comp. Instead of a point cost, everyone picked their own table-top standard and could field whatever they had painted to that standard. Which mean games could be terribly unbalanced. My first game was my Huskard on Stonehorn vs 20 moonclan grots and 2 heroes. I survived on 1 wound!

This took about 30 minutes on chat for us to come up with, another hour of fun playing with the map on my part, and we got an easy and fun way for us to enjoy playing together. 

Enjoy!

Annihilation of Hysh.png

6 minutes ago, HobbyHammer said:

Love the idea of using real map to show the campaign map! 

Thanks man. Made it more fun to smash. We also awarded extra points if someone had the courage to schedule a game at one of these locations. No one did...we're a bunch of chickens.

This is inspiring! I love the idea of a Destruction campaign about smashing stuff. "Bulls in a China shop" is such a great image. I also love the simple territory mechanic modified from the GHB map campaign. I imagine it works much better than the slow territorial conquest style that can turn into a mini game of Risk.

obviously when you play the territorial conquest style, that's what you want to play, the major mechanic. This map campaign style feels more about creating stories and scenes on the table and in your head. Both valid, but as you said, this was the fastest/cheapest/easiest to create.

Archived