Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

I'm going to try 2 Bronzed Flesh and 1 of the +1 to hit prayer next time.

Also I'm kind of waiting for the GHB2 before I get too set on a strategy, we are likely to see prayers limited like spells. ..

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps or we see Spells become unlimited aswell. That can really go both ways in my opinion :) 
As for now going double Bronzed Flesh and Killing Frenzy is a really good choice, however it does depend on the total army. I think that really big blocks of Bloodreavers would prefer Brazen Fury over either, but I don't have my 40 blocks ready yet.

4 hours ago, Killax said:

I certainly like him for lower point games. I don't think he's the best General for 1K or 2K games. He's certainly cheap and effective but the footprint (when you meassure from bases) for the Mighty Lord of Khorne is still a nice inch advantage. #1

In regards to The Goretide not thaking a Mighty Lord of Khorne means I would completely skip on the Battalion. Simply because Aqshy's Bane is amazing and really The Goretide isn't 120 points. It's an additional 40 on Slaughterborn's 80 and both these Battalions are allready great by themselves but still net you two additional Artefacts. Well worth it if you'd roughly put the cost of an Artefact around 30-40 points.#2

For infantry Units I do think Bloodreavers, Bloodletters, Blood Warriors and Skullreapers are all equally legit. Slaughterborn Battalion makes Blood Warriors and Skullreapers fantastic. Remember, they are not only charging, they are also making one attack. If it's one attack you can make, you want a quality attack that Bloodreavers can't provide. #3

Before the BoK book I wasn't too sold on Blood Warriors but now I certainly am. We have countercharges, movement buffs and melee buffs available in massive quantities. 

#1 = Taking the Aspiring Deathbringer as your General does not mean you cannot also take the Mighty Lord in your list. I'd rather have the Aspiring Deathbringers command ability working all the time (combined with Violent Urgency) and simply burn a Tithe to get the MLoK's command ability. 

#2 = My point was that in order to get the Gore Tide's Mighty Lord of Khorne, you have to spend 120 points. You do have to spend 120 points on battalions.

#3 = Most Battalions and buffs do not require the hero to be the General. If I take a bunch of buffed up battalion boosted Warriors and Skullreapers, Im going to have my Asp. Deathbringer on the other side of the field buffing up Brazen Fleshed 'reavers to make a strong two-pronged attack.

I've been running 2x Brazen Flesh and 1x Killing Frenzy in my list of Gore Pilgrims and Brass Stampede.  I originally tried out the healing prayer because it seems on some level to be logical right?  Most my army is multiwounds etc.  The problem is that the brass stampede needs to be mobile, moving fast and far.  The Slaughterpriests are inclined to stay somewhat near your Bloodsecrator or at the very least behind your waves of reavers and bloodwarriors.  This makes using the healing difficult to pull off without putting yourself in harms way and for what?  Healing 1-3 wounds?  That may save you 1 model at one point in the game on average to lasting another turn and that's hoping you don't flop the roll and heal 1 wound.  I'd much rather just get my guys to a 3+ save.  I should point out with prayers I don't stack Brazen Flesh (I don't want to get used to doing it in case it does get changed).

The Bloodrain tithe ability I have used once t o good effect.  That was a VERY specific situation that I likely won't see often appear.  It nice we have it handy to use because it did save me in that instance, but I wouldn't plan a list around using it.

Blood sacrifice.  This is an amazing prayer or a useless prayer.  It really depends what you're trying to achieve with those Blood Tithes.  If you're going to be killing your own models then you best have a set plan for what to use and you better hope you pull it off or your opponent is just getting free kills.  I can see great use of this to help initiate first turn charges or to use command abilities you need to activate once in a game.  I don't think I'd lean into using the prayer 2 or 3 times though as that's going to be costing you, and what you're spending in models to achieve a tablewide d3 heal isn't really cost effective either if that's what you're after.

The other use is of course getting access to the unbind but that's not really all that critical in my experience.  Opening portal of skulls is going to have a wide range with the slaughterpriests forcing your opponent to re-roll successful casting rolls, then you equip 1 or 2 heroes with brazen rune (I almost always have one on my secrator if going against a magic army).  We also have so many unbinding options with heroes its insane.  In the many games I've played with the new book the unbinding blood tithe is actually the one I've used the least.

On 2017-04-29 at 10:41 PM, Killax said:

A) Nice set up, good list for 1500 (1500 is a nice balance honestly, things get less nuts as 2K) however you also have 30 points left. I'd upgrade those 10 Bloodreavers for 5 Blood Warriors without a doubt for that reason. Bloodreavers in my opinion really only gain traction at 20+ numbers.

Agree, and I would LOVE to since I'm not too fond of the reaver models (nor painting)! But then the list wouldn't qualify for Gore Pilgrims? :-/

A) In addition, because you have the option, I would merge 2 3-man Skullcrusher units together into 1. For the simple Blood Blessing reason. The more affected the better.

Ok, good point, but I'm not too convinced...! First I often meet Sylvaneth and those woods really limit the maneuverability of such a large foot print, i.e. those deadly terrain rolls for charges/runs. Second I usually think 3 Skullcrushers hold objectives fairly good on their own, but it is a good point... 6 Skullcrushers w 2-3+ save (Bronzed) is quite a road-block. I'll think about it!

B) Perfectly fine list, straight up and armed to the teeth. A good choice if you want to run a Bloodthirster.

Nice! I'm glad you liked it :-) I really do want to run the thirster but usually think 300+ is a bit too big of a commitment and very much hit or miss at 1500p. However, I enjoy the threat it poses. I think my biggest problem is I don't back it up sufficiently... any thoughts on that in general?

C) I like the set up for this list to 2000 points but as with my general opinion on small units of Bloodreavers and the use of multiple Slaughterpriests, Slaughterpriest want units who have that traction, arn't dead in a stiff breeze by themselves and at that moment you go for as much Slaughterpriest as possible to affect as much models as possible.

True. I've re-evaluated the low model count reaver units. Should probably only run it against heavy gun-lines (at least one viable strategy), forcing them to split attacks, and with a strategy to make use of blood tithe points (which I don't really have).

Slaughterpriest and Bloodsecrator roles
I feel that Slaughterpriest can become as good as Bloodsecrator's in their functional role thanks to Gore Pilgrims. However, in order to affect the same ammount of models (and thus be compairable) you do want to run some massive blocks with your multiple Slaughterpriests.
In that same vein I feel the Bloodsecrators are fantastic and remained fantastic but do not require you to go for a massive block system. Instead they are what you could call the go-to Hero if you run multiple small units instead of some massive blocks. 
To me Blades of Khorne really boils down to that question, what do you want to do and which models do you like :) Revolve around that! We have more than one competative route to go!
For example the same applies to Brass Stampede, Khorne Lords on Juggernauts can be great and so can Brass Stampede, if you want to go that route, there is very little that stops you from not embracing it. The same kind of example applies to me for Gore Pilgrims and The Goretide aswell. Because the beauty of The Goretide is that it doesn't really require much from you other than a preferance for Blood Warriors and Skullreaper use :D 

Unlike the secrators, priests present unbinding and MW output, which makes a 1 to 1 comparison a bit tilted. But, I do hear what you're saying and there is no doubt priests are relatively more efficient if run in a MSU list. Since, I do not really want to run a MSU list, I'm wondering if Gore Pilgrims is a good route to go down...?

D) Really cool set up, beautiful models to go for! There is one big 'but'! What do your Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster really does for your army here?
- Will he remove an oppossing Monster? Certainly!
- Will he potentially support other Khorne Daemons when he is in the thick of it? Likely not.
- Will he be as trivially difficult to remove as potential big units with Bronzed Flesh? Likely not.
So in my opinion I think that he's an awesome inclusion but perhaps not the most competative choice. A third Slaughterpriest, second Bloodsecrator and a couple of big fat units would likely scare me more, as there isn't one simple focus point to thake our or even ignore. WoK BT can be fantastic in the right set ups, but I do feel inclined to say that this is with multiple Daemon units. For a simple reason, he will be in melee quickly and from that point on gaining Blood Tithe points and with a single Blood Tithe point you can now Lord of the Blood Hunt 2 units. 

Like it too! Well, I think the WoK just pose a great threat. In the list there are already a third slaughterpriest, but sure a secrator or more skullcrushers would be viable. BUT, I do like the WoK model, and his ability does work on himself, no?! I thought he could be backed up by Skullcrushers... :-D In a way I think he is a small army on his own. But yeah... on his own he's easily countered/outmaneuvered.

Let me know which models you really like! :D Going Bloodbound heavy in forces isn't bad at all! Just then ensure you support that completely.

I run a mixed Tzeentch army too, so for that reason I figured for the variation I'd run a mortal/khorne heavy army. I am however open to suggestions... I'm a bit hesitant to commit too heavily before GHB2 though! :-) I feel it could go either way on prayers etc. and on a few points.

As for the models, a few thoughts: I do like the Skullreapers and the "elite aspect" of them, although they're pretty expensive (cash wise) and tedious to paint ;-) I'm still a bit torn if I should invest more into them, at the moment I'm a bit into Khorgoraths, I have 2... I feel they are cool models (I'm going to paint them gritty as hell w lots of blood and skin toned not red) and in 2s they are probably better than a slaughterbrute, also its 200p that is fairly easily painted (hehe), blood warriors are cool and probably my favorite battle-line, I kind of hate reavers and see them only as tax (bring back my trays.......), wrathmongers I like but only viable against elite armies.. a bit too much points invested I feel in general, as for the bloodbound characters, I like the priests (adds dynamic and possibility to compete in hero phase/mw), secrator is just bread and butter and I think he's a bit undynamic really I'd love to see more lists without him... the stoker I'm not too fond of (not sure really, I want to like him), as for the aspiring, exhalted etc I feel they all have a spot if played right. the MLOK is a bit dull and too slow to see action (maybe not in goretide), lord on juggie I like, skullcrushers I like too, mainly because I like FBU armies, but the models are cool too! I love playing against magic heavy armies and see their shields come into play but it happens too seldom! :-( the daemon side I'm torn on the blood letters, I kind of do not like the MW bombs as I feel it is a "hack" (+ to hit should not generate more MW on 6s I think), the bloodcrushers are cool too but I like skullcrushers more, fleshhounds are a bit weak, they're cool but would only fit (i think) in a daemon heavy army (murderhost?), bloodthirsters I love (not skarbrand though, too expensive), skull cannons could be a bit better, haven't really done anything to deserve their points in my games, skullmaster and bloodmaster cool in the right context... 

29 minutes ago, Jharen said:

The problem is that the brass stampede needs to be mobile, moving fast and far.  The Slaughterpriests are inclined to stay somewhat near your Bloodsecrator or at the very least behind your waves of reavers and bloodwarriors.

Yeah... I've been having some trouble balancing Slaughterpriests in Gore Pilgrims - e.g. pushing forward to secure reach of MW and +1 save, and staying back to increase reach for the secrator... I understand the "strategic choice" but for this reason I feel they have been a bit underwhelming, at least for me! I probably need to position secrator better ;)

36 minutes ago, Aspirant Snaeper said:

#1 = Taking the Aspiring Deathbringer as your General does not mean you cannot also take the Mighty Lord in your list. I'd rather have the Aspiring Deathbringers command ability working all the time (combined with Violent Urgency) and simply burn a Tithe to get the MLoK's command ability. 

#2 = My point was that in order to get the Gore Tide's Mighty Lord of Khorne, you have to spend 120 points. You do have to spend 120 points on battalions.

#3 = Most Battalions and buffs do not require the hero to be the General. If I take a bunch of buffed up battalion boosted Warriors and Skullreapers, Im going to have my Asp. Deathbringer on the other side of the field buffing up Brazen Fleshed 'reavers to make a strong two-pronged attack.

Can't agree with your first point, largely because the Aspiring Deathbringer is much easier to thake out and while his Command Ability of 6" is fine it doesn't compete with the sheer brute effectiveness of Gorelord. Making those charges is not only essential, it means that you move with the speed of Lightning with The Goretide's additional movement.

Without The Goretide I wouldn't be inclined to run an Aspiring Deathbringer at all. It seems you have a low opinion on moving up?
Your keeping Bloodreavers back for the Aspiring Deathbringer? I really don't know what to make of that. Obviously feel free to play as you like, I won't stop you, the thing is keeping those models back, or not thaking advantage of what Mark of the Destroyer does for ANY Mighty Lord of Khorne seems like a cool way to play it at low point/small army levels but at higher points, especially when facing ranged forces, wouldn't cut it for me.

@misthv Yeah for Gorepilgrims you'll need those Bloodreavers, though there is offcourse always a way to test Khorne without that specific Battalion if you really don't like Bloodreavers. Nontheless 10 hold an objective, which is fine for the costs involved :) 
In regards to Skullcrushers, if you feel you can't place them onto a 4x4 or 4x6 due to terrain I absolutely understand the plan to keep them seperate!
For Bloodthirsters I'm inclined to run with a Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage soon, especially with Slaughterborn and Harverster of Skulls I can't imagne him not earning back his points quickly. The biggest advantage to 280 points as opposed to 300 is that in my mind we're less competing with a possible 30 Bloodletter unit otherwise, which is always at the back of my mind considering Monsters versus our excellent infantry. 

I think Gore Pilgrims is a fantastic route to go if you like big blocks. The comment in general was pointed towards the option to run MSU, at which point I feel the Slaughterpriest has less functionality as opposed to a Bloodsecrator. This is all again due to Bronzed Flesh, Killing Frenzy and Brazen Fury. The bigger the units, the better those Blessings truely become.

If you feel to keep the Wrath of Khorne Thirster in there, by all means! I love him for 2K but otherwise things get cramped. In general I see myself running less Monsters when I'm going with a second Battalion. I really like to think of it as a 'spread the power' kind of deal, but truely don't let me or anyone stop you from running a giant Monster :D 

As a last personal vision, go with whatever you like, I believe every set up and model can work out in a Khorne army but the total picture is more important than smaller parts. With this I mean that for me it really helps to figure out what I want for that particular army and then continue upon that thought. So what this leads to is that if I do want to run 2-3 blocks of 30 Bloodletters, Murderhost becomes an almost authomatic pick, if I want Blood Warriors and Skullreapers, The Goretide is my personal next pick. If I want Slaughterpriests and any mix of larger units, again Gore Pilgrims seems great. 
With this in mind just build what you visually like.

I wouldn't worry too much about GH2, Khorne has it's showings but 9/10 in the form of Bloodletters that are hurled onto the field by Sayl. But the fact of the matter there is that Sayl is arguably doing things that arn't healthy to any type of play ;) 

1 hour ago, misthv said:

Yeah... I've been having some trouble balancing Slaughterpriests in Gore Pilgrims - e.g. pushing forward to secure reach of MW and +1 save, and staying back to increase reach for the secrator... I understand the "strategic choice" but for this reason I feel they have been a bit underwhelming, at least for me! I probably need to position secrator better ;)

A lot of this involves learning threat ranges, area denial, and staggering/spreading out your forces correctly based on what you're up against.  The general idea is that you want your slaughterpriests in a position where they can all reach big targets if needed (to triple boil something) but also be spread out enough within that 8" bubble of the secrator that a single charge won't kill them all.  Bloodreavers help for screening here.  By doing these things you're making a 16" range bubble that your opponent is going to usually try to avoid.  It's not always about getting the Blood Boil off that is effective, simply the threat of it can scare your opponent into avoiding large sections of the table which helps you control the battlefield through threat ranges.

If you feel you need to move your secrator up to be more effective this is easy with Bloodtithe.  Once you have 3 tithes you can use Murderlust in the hero phase to move your Bloodsecrator up before opening your portal of skulls.  This insures you aren't going a round without the portal open while still advancing his ability range and the range of the slaughterpriests in turn.

Of course you are going to be vulnerable to ranged attacks as usual, and our primary defense against that is always going to be threat saturation.  This is another advantage of running 3 Slaughterpriests.  If your opponent is set on killing your slaughterpriests via his ranged attacks then there's not a lot you're going to be able to do to prevent this, but with 3 it's going to take more of his attacks to remove them all which is less attacks he's going to have on your Bloodsecrator(s) and your troops.  This idea that we need to keep all our heroes alive through out the entire game to be dangerous is just not true and it's something I've warned against time and time again.  Do not place all your eggs in one basket.  You will lose stuff, and the more dangerous that thing is the quicker you're likely to lose it.  The key is to make everything in your force effective in smaller pockets instead of one large force that all hinges on one or two abilities to work.

To this effect I feel the Brass Stampede & Gore Pilgrims duo works well together because it offers a large body of difficult to remove models as well as an easier to remove high damage group of models.  This leans your opponent into having to decide to start sinking damage into your Bloodwarriors and Juggernauts in order to prevent you from capturing objectives, or towards removing your damage dealing priests and secrator in the back.   If they seem to focus more on your battlelines then you can be more aggressive with your priests, and if they focus on your priests then they are leaving themselves open to your Juggernauts who can easily sweep around and remove the ranged threats provided you are blocking their movements with your bloodwarriors and reavers to cause proper area denial.

I'm surprised when watching battle reports by the overwhelming tendency of players to just rush forward in big blobs still and smash into combat, even if they are spreading out a bit.  I see very little use of retreating and block and move tactics or tactical baiting and pulling.  Make your opponent have to make choices he doesn't want to have to make.  Sometimes just doing something unexpected towards your opponent can throw them off their plan, even if it's not an otherwise smart move.  Always mess with their minds and keep them on their toes.

im pretty sure that Skullcrushers in the Brass stampede ( maxed) are our highest output of mortal wounds outside of bloodletters with massive potential movement.

ive been pushing the stampede and gore pilgrims list since i first saw the leaks. 

you can potentially get a turn 1 charge on a few units,

if you run a unit of bloodreavers at like 4 in size and sacrifice them you can move the bloodsecrator up his movement, then plant banner. this should give you a 30" range on it covering the entire board that's relevant and if you have 7 units of skullcrushers that's 42 more attacks for them. 

sacrificing the entire unit gives your crushers +3" to their charges. with a horn they now have +4" to their charges. with a average charge distance of 7" they can charge a average of 11". 

each unit charging doing d3 mortals on impact and i highly doubt there is the damage to wipe out entire units if not concentrated, let alone multiple units, you'll never run from battleshock as of their banners and the bloodsecrator, so they have to deal with you. in your hero phase you do another d3 mortal wounds.

if you equip the lord with the Gorecleaver so his to wound rolls of a 6 do 3 mortal wounds rather than 3 damage as of his innate ability, using his command ability you can make this a 5, don't forget he also does mortal wounds on the charge and in your hero phase, on top of his normal combat so he turns into a killing machine ontop of being a tank.

if you run the slaughterpriest infront of the bloodsecrator after he has moved you should be within range to start throwing out d6 mortal wounds to help out any skullcrushers to wipe out units. 

Yeah the maxed out stampede is something I really want to run since I saw the early leaks.  Sadly that's just sooo many Skullcrushers that it'll be a while (if ever) before I'm able to run that.  I also toyed with the idea of just throwing Banner of Wrath on the Bloodsecrator in the list just to further toss out mortal wounds.  I feel even without maxing out the battalion though they are a solid output of mortal wounds if you position them right and use them where you need the mortal wounds, granted it can be countered a lot more easily than the tactic you point out which is just a very in your face attack with a spamming of them.  Anyone who wonders if brass stampede is worth maxing out on though...yup, totally worth it as Arkiham has pointed out.

I do wonder if at those numbers you may be better off running Skullcrushers in a Bloodthunder Stampede though (which I usually consider inferior).  Due to the fact they can cause further mortal wounds from their attacks AND you can roll for battleshock (which you can't fail) for the potential of blinking reality to regain lost models.  Surely out of that many units you have a good chance of rolling a 1 on at least a single unit each turn.

Brass Stampede maxed is a true terror, thats for sure. I think maxed Bloodthunder is fun but rolling and hoping for 1s isnt my cup of tea. Granted Id gladly include a Skullmaster or Blood Throne to support Skullcrushers with Mark of the Slayer on top of all the goodness. As for eating your own units with Slaughterpriests for Points still isnt what Id go for, by large again how short ranged that generation is and thus how much the Priests will be in a single place. Instead Id start out blazing Blood Boils and Bronzed Flesh the Crushers. All in all the Crushers are certainly amongst our tankiest units and yeah Brass Stampede is as legit as ever, with a nice upgrade to boot. For the KLoJ the Gorecleaver would be my choice aswell. 

3 minutes ago, Jharen said:

Yeah the maxed out stampede is something I really want to run since I saw the early leaks.  Sadly that's just sooo many Skullcrushers that it'll be a while (if ever) before I'm able to run that.  I also toyed with the idea of just throwing Banner of Wrath on the Bloodsecrator in the list just to further toss out mortal wounds.  I feel even without maxing out the battalion though they are a solid output of mortal wounds if you position them right and use them where you need the mortal wounds, granted it can be countered a lot more easily than the tactic you point out which is just a very in your face attack with a spamming of them.  Anyone who wonders if brass stampede is worth maxing out on though...yup, totally worth it as Arkiham has pointed out.

I do wonder if at those numbers you may be better off running Skullcrushers in a Bloodthunder Stampede though (which I usually consider inferior).  Due to the fact they can cause further mortal wounds from their attacks AND you can roll for battleshock (which you can't fail) for the potential of blinking reality to regain lost models.  Surely out of that many units you have a good chance of rolling a 1 on at least a single unit each turn.

no spell protection on them but they do look strong...only 1 less attack than normal skullcrushers.  you can still run gore pilgrims and just use those bloodwarriors and reavers as the battleline. 

if i didnt already own 12 skullcrushers and the lord id really consider them 

Yeah I'm at the 12 Skullcrushers and 1 Lord myself, which is what I've been running with Gore Pilgrims.  Doing another 12 skullcrushers seems like a huge project at this point though on top of everything else I have sitting on my table.  I do love the shields of the skullcrushers, I think people often overlook that aspect of them.

Just now, Killax said:

And a wound less, which is kind of the thing for me ;) 

hmm that would soon add up..

7x3 skullcrushers + the lord is 113 wounds. 

7x3 bloodcrushers + the hero is 90 wounds. 

difference of 23 wounds. with no spell protection....

could be a risk/reward thing 

1 minute ago, Jharen said:

Yeah I'm at the 12 Skullcrushers and 1 Lord myself, which is what I've been running with Gore Pilgrims.  Doing another 12 skullcrushers seems like a huge project at this point though on top of everything else I have sitting on my table.  I do love the shields of the skullcrushers, I think people often overlook that aspect of them.

Switching up their look with Skullreaper torso's is great fun though. Breaks up the painting scheme for them aswell.

the extra damage though, and the increased mortal wounds would allow you to throw them into more heavily armoured things, if you include the bloodsecrator

the bloodcrushers get 2 attacks with their sword. 4 on the mount 

the skullcrushers get 3 attacks and 4 on the mount. 

i guess it'll be down to the math, does the impact mortal wounds and hero phase mortal wounds make up for the lackin mortal wounds from the attacks on skullcrushers. the longevity of them will increase the chances of getting those herophase mortal wounds off.

would take a few games to work out which is better 

I did toy with that look when building my last 6 Skullcrushers but I wasn't happy with it.  I prefer the heavily armored look to my units but that's just me.  Great advise though for others doing Skullcrushers who prefer a more varied look to their stuff.

And yeah the 1 less wound I'd forgotten about on Bloodcrushers so no they'd not be better given how that adds up on top of the lack of shields.

6 minutes ago, Killax said:

Switching up their look with Skullreaper torso's is great fun though. Breaks up the painting scheme for them aswell.

1 minute ago, Jharen said:

I did toy with that look when building my last 6 Skullcrushers but I wasn't happy with it.  I prefer the heavily armored look to my units but that's just me.  Great advise though for others doing Skullcrushers who prefer a more varied look to their stuff.

And yeah the 1 less wound I'd forgotten about on Bloodcrushers so no they'd not be better given how that adds up on top of the lack of shields.

ive kitbashed some of mine with the bloodwarrior things. 

ive got 3 with the gorefist ( which you could easily pass off as a shield )

the next 3 im going to build will be dual bloodwarrior axes.

the 3 after that im going to see how the flails from wrathmongers look with a shield. 

the 3 after ill try get the khorne spear from the varanguard to put on them as that looks mean as f... 

then i dunno, ran out of ideas

Hope to share the finished units soon. I really like your idea aswell @Arkiham plus all this talk has me re-considering Blood Glaives aswell. With +hits and 1 re-rolls I think Skullcrushers can really outpreform a lot under maxed Brass Stampede, first things first though and thats mixing up units :)  
21 Skullcrushers still are a very good deal modelwise though so getting 4 boxes of them is certainly a cool dream for the future.

@Jharen I like the armoured look aswell but that save leaves for tinkering with it :D 

Used Bloodwarrior heads on some of mine and some of the blood warrior axes and skullreaper axes on my skullcrushers units that have axes.  That is a great thing about all the Khorne kits, they have lots of spare bits to spread around and mix and match with.  Same goes for the Slaves to Darkness kits.  The Chaos Knight shields and glaives and helmets I've always liked and I may throw some of those on future skullcrushers if I do end up going towards a maxed out stampede.

@Killax There's been a misunderstanding here. 

First, my original post on this topic was meant to be for the thread in general. I had been focusing on the other heroes and the improvements they gained as a result of Blades of Khorne, but upon revisiting the Aspiring Deathbringer, I had realized that running him with Violent Urgency and Mark of the Destroyer made him a very competent General his warscroll command ability and Inspiring Presence for those times that Portal isn't open means he can serve the support and offensive-support roles very well, allowing Exalted Deathbringers and Mighty Lord's do what they do best, and that's hunt Hero's and Monster's (and really anything big and nasty when it comes to that reality splitting axe). 

I then made a second point about the Mighty Lord of Khorne becoming quite worthwhile when in the Goretide formation, something that I'm sure you and I can both agree on. Although I dovetailed that point by pointing out that, in order to get that beast of a General, you had to essentially pay 120 points in battalions and then another 120 for the model. 

What I did not intend to imply was that the Aspiring Deathbringer was a better General for the Goretide formation. 

4 hours ago, Killax said:

Can't agree with your first point, largely because the Aspiring Deathbringer is much easier to thake out and while his Command Ability of 6" is fine it doesn't compete with the sheer brute effectiveness of Gorelord. Making those charges is not only essential, it means that you move with the speed of Lightning with The Goretide's additional movement.

Without The Goretide I wouldn't be inclined to run an Aspiring Deathbringer at all. It seems you have a low opinion on moving up?
Your keeping Bloodreavers back for the Aspiring Deathbringer? I really don't know what to make of that. Obviously feel free to play as you like, I won't stop you, the thing is keeping those models back, or not thaking advantage of what Mark of the Destroyer does for ANY Mighty Lord of Khorne seems like a cool way to play it at low point/small army levels but at higher points, especially when facing ranged forces, wouldn't cut it for me.

Violent Urgency is, in my opinion, as good a buff as Gorelord. You trade range for the amount of units that could be affected by it, and I think rerolling charges is better than rolling three ones. Having the Aspiring Deathbringer use that command trait in unison with burning a tithe to activate Gorelord would be incredibly nasty. 

But again, I'm not talking about the Goretide here. 

Most other Hero's as Generals are either too expensive, too ineffective, or too much of a lynch pin to the list that if they fall, things are bound to fall apart around them. If the Aspiring Deathbring dies, you're only out 80 points and some force multiplication and support that your list wasn't built up around anyways. He's just an all around solid pick when given Mark of the Destroyer, Violent Urgency, and stuck behind a unit like 'reavers that most people write off as being angry shirtless men. 

GDbaFgp.png

This list (made up of models in my immediate collection) is not lacking in speed or movement, has numerous synergies that are not inherently attached to one unit, has a huge number of models to weather beatings, and lets a cheap General like the Deathbringer shine. 

1 hour ago, Aspirant Snaeper said:

a unit like 'reavers that most people write off as being angry shirtless men. 

i had a opponent do just that. "meh its only a unit of 10 what could happen"

36 wounds later ( 3 units and a hero half dead) with 4 of my guys remaining he was like "oh"... 

afeared to death of them now lol

1 minute ago, Arkiham said:

i had a opponent do just that. "meh its only a unit of 10 what could happen"

36 wounds later and 3 units and a hero half dead with 4 of my guys remaining he was like "oh"... 

afeared to death of them now lol

Mine removed 360 points worth of rats this weekend and earned their points back in spades, and they just had Reaver Blades! 

Archived