I got 99 problems, a Troglodon ain't one

PhantomPhixer

Hey guys, I need a little help here.

I'm building my Seraphon list and painting it up, and I have included a Troglodon.  Now everyone (including The Heelanhammer guys) tells me they are just rubbish.

Here is why I like it, and want it in my list;

1 - I'm running a Slann and the extra 15 inches of range seems very handy
2 - It adds one more unbind roll, and that one will be in range of a lot of things, since the trog is a combat unit.

I know it lacks the combat power of the Oldblood on Carni, but his command trait is a flaming dumpster fire anyhow, so I would still need a different general.

So, am I missing something big here?  (Not claiming to be all that bright or skillful, but I think I thought it out...)

Thanks for the help!!

v/r

Bill Castello

My wife has Seraphon, and given the few games I've done with them, I would not count out Mr. Troggy.

Oldblood is a lot of points, and not sure he's worth it - he has yet to prove himself in our games. I certainly wouldn't take him against anything liberator-tough or greater. I'm sure he's great against grots and zombies - but then, who isn't? I think it'd be an easier choice to take another Bastilidon for 20 points less.

Scar veteran is pretty solid, especially with his command ability - but depending on rolls of 6 is never a good choice, strategically, and again, the carnosaur doesn't seem to impress against tougher battleline.

Troggy, at 200 points, is a monster worth considering. He's got mobility, he's got durability, he's got a ranged attack, *and* he extends the effective reach of your slann. Again, wouldn't send him against tougher battleline, however at only 200 points, he can be a throwaway decoy, or flank to rear heroes/gunlines. I'm unfamaliar with the arguments against him, but them's my arguments for him.

When I got my Start Collecting Seraphon box, I built the Troglodon. Why? I thought it was the cooler model. If/when I get another box, I'll happily make a Carnosaur. However, I've enjoyed the Troglodon -- even though he draws a lot of enemy fire very quickly. Apparently he looks threatening enough...

Archived