Imperial Primer

ChrisMack26

Hi Everyone

I was wondering if someone could give em some advice on imperial primer. I am new to the hobby and was wondering about priming my models. It's way to cold for spray paint but I have picked up some imperial primer from the Citadel range. I am not sure though if I have to thin the primer on a palette the same way you would do a basecoat or if you would apply it straight from the pot?

Any guidance would be great 

Ive only recently started priming my minis, after like 15 years of hobbying and Ive done fine without imo :)

Though I havent gotten round to playing much games and most of them been in my place too, so I havent had any need to try to be careful not to scrape off any paint while carrying stuff around.

But anyways, feel free to use it, the video link seems fine ^ 

But its not a must to use a primer, if you use washes and like me, wash the whole miniature at some point, it seals the paint too quite nicely.  Then again the paints might stick better to a primed surface than a plastic one.. whatever, Im just rambling :D and not even bout the topic really.

I live in a place that is too cold to prime for most of the year as well. I find priming with Abaddon Black works just fine for me on plastic. I've read people who don't recommend it but my paint seems to stick well and I haven't had any rubbing off issues. However, I did try Imperial Primer once, and that stuff rubbed right off! It was amazing how poorly it stuck, and I haven't used it since.

Yeah I do actually advocate (spray) priming, though it's less essential with plastics, but I've found the Imperial Primer to be no better than black paint. The pots around here look nothing like that oily black stuff that guy has in the video above, it's all gunky and needs infinite stirring and mixing to not go on with sort of dusty blobs. YMMV I suppose.

Archived