Sylvaneth start collecting box.

Dracothjay

I was thinking the same thing when looking at it - I assume (and what i've read around on the internet) you would get the full Sprue, including Durthu bits, as I would think it's cheaper than molding a new Sprue for the same figure - But let someone else with actual knowledge answer, as mine is just an assumption. I'll lurk in the meantime.

well, I'm actually starting a mixed wanderers and sylvaneth army. I'm using kurnoth hunters and durthu as my main assault units and using shooting and tarpit units from wanderers. My general is going to be the nomad prince positioned closely to my 2 units of glade guard. 

I have to echo that the Treelord Ancient is probably a better choice for your first Treelord kit.  I love Durthu, but there are too many instances where he has not made back his cost in a game, but my Ancient has never failed to make an impression.  I did wind up building all three Treelord options though.

If you're looking for sheer combat punch, then yes Durthu is the better option.  In order for him to be effective though, he has to be close to the enemy and ideally still near a wyldwood.  This makes placement of your wyldwoods incredibly important.  In the list you describe, you don't seem to have a method of placing wyldwoods (unless I'm missing something).  This means that your Durthu is going to be walking up the table slowly towards the enemey (unless you run the Free Spirits battalion).  Any opponent worth their salt is going to put every mortal wound possible into him before he gets within charge range (I had a game where my opponent wiped my Durthu off the table before he caused a single wound by using a warp lightning cannon and Thanquol).  With a Treelord Ancient, you're effective at a much greater distance between your spells and your ability to place wyldwoods.  It's easier to keep a Treelord Ancient safe and they reach full combat effectiveness earlier in the game, for less points to boot.  Not to mention that I really like the command trait of the Treelord Ancient (especially with Kurnoth hunters in my army).

I don't want to make it seem like Durthu is bad.  He's not.  He's actually very good and I love fielding him.  If I only ever had one treelord kit though, he wouldn't be my first choice due to being a melee-centric mortal wound target.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I'm not planning on doing much wyldwood spamming....ma Be even none as I want my army majority wanderers.
the only sylvaneth I was planning on using was 3 units of scythe  hunters and durthu.

Durthu is really only best used in an all Sylvaneth army. He can only absorb wounds for Sylvaneth characters, and needs wyldwoods to be at his best.

After taking 3 wounds (and he will. Probably before he gets into combat) he's basically a regular treelord that costs an extra 140pts or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived