Modelling crystals

MidasKiss

Hey all, I've been listening to the Mortal Realms podcast on Shyish and thought the descriptions of the human sized crystals with skeletons in them were pretty awesome. I was wondering what the easiest way would be to set some some clear / greenish hard crystals around a skeleton model or something. Doing some reading, it seems like resin is the best bet.

Would something like this be best? It's what they use to make those little spider / plant floating in crystal displays. It shrinks, not sure if that will be a problem :/
http://www.recochem.com.au/index.php/products/consumer_products/fibreglass/item/diggers_casting_embedding_resin

Anyone done anything like this in the past? Any advice on what to use and how to make the mold? I've never done much of anything that's creative, but looking to advance that side of the hobby in the new year.

Thanks!

You could look into making epoxy crystals. I cant remember the exact name right now but you can get a clear setting two part epoxy that you can use like a liquid that sets hard.

Place your skele inside the mould, fill up with the 2part epoxy and voila, clear crystals. Add a coloured glaze if you prefer a different colour after.

You could look into making epoxy crystals. I cant remember the exact name right now but you can get a clear setting two part epoxy that you can use like a liquid that sets hard.

Place your skele inside the mould, fill up with the 2part epoxy and voila, clear crystals. Add a coloured glaze if you prefer a different colour after.

Latex moulds are the best for this sort of thing, you can get a kit that lets you make your own and you can either use balsa wood templates or indeed even real crystals as @ElectricPaladin suggests above. 

Another quick tip as well, I have been making small crystals for bases and found a really cool tutorial about using old bits of sprue. 

http://hephsforge.blogspot.co.uk/2009/04/making-crystals.html

may be useful for smaller crystals surrounding your big skele holding ones

Good luck :)

Archived