Carmine Dragon

gmulroney

Never used it (except from cutting it apart for conversions), but as for the rules... hard to say, actually. On the one hand, you have a pretty good melee unit with good movement, flying, 3+ and potentially devastating melee. Its ability is D6+X mortal wounds in most cases, which isn't quite Thundertusk level, but it can get good damage in if your dice are hot. On the other hand, the price tag is pretty big. It is not like Order lacks big hitters or ways of dealing mortal wounds.

Still, I think it is worth a try. While nothing it does stands out on its own, it is the combination of a good save, save against mortal wounds, good melee and decent ranged ability as well as the ability to stop Wizards from doing stuff (which is pretty good on a model, that want to get close) makes is a good allrounder. If nothing else, it will be fun to use and is a solid centerpiece. But it may turn out to be the dogs bollocks. I must definitely test is in the near future ;)

It is not like Order lacks big hitters or ways of dealing mortal wounds.

It's by some way their best Dragon/big monster option (mostly because of the relatively reliable and more attacks than normal -3 rend maw attack - most other non Monstrous Arcanum Dragons are only -2 rend from memory). Unlike Destruction, the artefacts and traits aren't such a massive factor giving the edge to generic monsters with hero riders (the Stonelord). A Stardrake with a Quicksilver Potion is good in some situations (but better at clearing regular infantry), but I would rather have the 16 inch move and the -3 rend for opening cans.

How big is it in comparison to say the forest dragon? 

Not quite sure I think it's worth more points than a Durthu (especially in my sylvaneth army with some items etc). Sure it does mortal wounds.. but Durthu can just deal tons of damage too, and be healed relatively easy.

Durthu is slower and does not have such a big threat range as the Dragon with this 16" movement and 10"(?) Mortal wounds. It bypasses bubblewraps. When moving and on the charge, he Dragon can fly over said bubble wrap as well. This is all Durthu can not do with pure Sylvaneth, given the lack of anti-horde shooting.

As for the size (I cut mine apart, so I can not recall the original size), but it is somewhere between a Stardrake and an Elves Dragon.

Archived