Which Model Base for a Vamp on Terror Conversion?

Which Base?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which base model do you prefer?

• Manticore
    • Dweller in the Dark
    • Something Else (in a post below)...

Despite my earlier advice not to spend too much time/energy/resources on a vampire lord on abyssal terror, I've succumbed to the siren call of its awesome rules and intermediary points cost - not to mention the opportunity for a cool conversion - and decided to make one for myself. The trouble is, I can't decide which model to use as a base for the mount. My two thoughts are...

Chaos Lord on Manticore

The manticore is maybe a bit too big, but I'm pretty confident that I could fit it onto a 60mm base. If I shave off some of the more egregiously weird bumps and spurs, use the simpler tail, and give it a drab deathy color scheme, I think it would work very nicely.

Alternately, as I'd originally planned...

Dweller in the Dark

Thoughts?

Im not exactly sure how big the lower mini is but Im guessing its kinda small for a mount, cool mini though, Ive totally forgot something like that even existed till I saw the pic.

Somewhat converted Jabberslythe could be cool, if you did a faceswap.

And a goblin Spider might work, Arachnarok or w.e its name is :) atleast for some kinda themed army.

If I had to choose from those two you mentioned, Id say manticore, perhaps its kinda simple but its big and looks badass anyways.

The Manticore's a bit big and has four more wounds and the monster keyword on the Abysal Terror, so in the interests of WIZEEWIG it might be a bit far out.

I'm no super familiar with the LotR range, and the Dweller in the Dark's a lovely model but I'm not sure how easy it would be to get a rider on it's back.

A suggestion that may be a little extreme, depending on the aesthetic you've got in mind for your army, but could be seen as an extension of the H.R. Giger inspired look shared by Nagash would be a heavily converted Dark Eldar Talos, with a bestial headswap, the syringes and techy stuff removed, the cleaver things on the end of it's arms removed and replaced with actual bone scythes from a tyranid kit, and a particularly manic looking Necrach-style vampire surfing on the back. IIRC Abyssal Terrors/Winged Nightmares were supposed to be a Frankenstein's chimera of various dead monster parts sewn together and it would be a cool way of reflecting that.

99120112016_TalosNEW_01.jpg

If you're after a more conventional monster mashup that's about the right size, the Cockatrice remains one of the best models GW's ever made and painted in suitably morbid colours would fit right in to an Undead army - though again your vampire lord may have to endure surfing on its back!

99810299001_CockatriceNEW01.jpg

5 minutes ago, ElectricPaladin said:

I gotta admit that making a platform and having the vampire standing on it, with chain reins connecting to the creature's head, would be a pretty awesome way to mount a rider on a creature...

It's a regal pose that requires bordering on supernatural reflexes, pretty appropriate for a Vampire imo.

9 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

It's a regal pose that requires bordering on supernatural reflexes, pretty appropriate for a Vampire imo.

So now I'm shopping for legs to resculpt my Reaper dragon + spare mortarch Mannfred bits vampire on zombie dragon conversion so that the rider is standing instead of straddling a saddle...

Dieter's or the newer Dark Elf one?

5xOoGof.jpg kSBglih.jpg

Dieter's is what the first Winged Nightmare model effectively replaced, and is probably the same size, if a little smaller. The Dark Elf one is rearing up and has a mega wingspan, but it quite skinny and could feasibly have 8 wounds. They'd both look great as an Abyssal Terror imo

12 minutes ago, ElectricPaladin said:

Also, wait a minute... is that first mini in your post a vampire on a manticore? When was that possible?

He's a Necromancer special character from the 4th edition Undead book. In 4th/5th edition you could put pretty much any non Dwarf or Lizardman character on the back of pretty much any monster, which made for some fun combinations!

5 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

He's a Necromancer special character from the 4th edition Undead book. In 4th/5th edition you could put pretty much any non Dwarf or Lizardman character on the back of pretty much any monster, which made for some fun combinations!

Okay. I'm totally doing a vampire lord on a manticore, then! eBay model acquired!

Just now, ElectricPaladin said:

Okay. I'm totally doing a vampire lord on a manticore, then! eBay model acquired!

It's weird, I still habitually think of manticores as an Undead monster in a similar vein to orcs and wyverns and the Empire and griffons, and not as a Dark Elf or Chaos monster. I'm a child of the red era I guess. :|

Make sure the head is the right scale for the Manticore, you might need to mount it on a few pieces of cork if the beard is that long and you're worried it will drag along the ground!

Rider-wise have a look at the Dark Eldar warriors clinging to the side of the raider for good surfing legs, or alternatively Lelith Hesperax :) 

99120112012_DERaiderNEW01.jpg

99800112002_LelithHesperaxNEW_01.jpg

8 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Make sure the head is the right scale for the Manticore, you might need to mount it on a few pieces of cork if the beard is that long and you're worried it will drag along the ground!

Rider-wise have a look at the Dark Eldar warriors clinging to the side of the raider for good surfing legs, or alternatively Lelith Hesperax :) 

99120112012_DERaiderNEW01.jpg

99800112002_LelithHesperaxNEW_01.jpg

I've been looking around for VL conversions, that's awesome. I hadn't seen these because they are 40K, you seen anything else with potential?

@MidasKiss 40k wise? Hm...

The Genestealer Magus would make a good Necrach type with a headswap from a Spite-Revenant and a few good gothy details.

99120117001_Broodcoven06.jpg

Burning of Prospero's Sisters of Silence don't have any real visible techy stuff on their very ornate armour or visible eagles that couldn't be removed, and also have the advantage of being bloody lovely if you wanted to convert a lady Blood Dragon:

60010101002_BurningProsperoENG05.jpg

This renegade psyker from Forge World would make a pretty awesome dark science Necrarch:

99550102065_RenegadeMilitiaRoguePsykers0

I've never liked Dark Eldar Mandrakes much, but they might work for you (assuming you were able to get fangs onto them somehow):

99810112006_MandrakesNEW_01.jpg

The Lhamaen was made to run as a Fantasy vampire:

99800112012_LhamaeanNEW_01.jpg

Hope these help! :) 

1 minute ago, Double Misfire said:

@MidasKiss 40k wise? Hm...

The Genestealer Magus would make a good Necrach type with a headswap from a Spite-Revenant and a few good gothy details.

99120117001_Broodcoven06.jpg

Burning of Prospero's Sisters of Silence don't have any real visible techy stuff on their very ornate armour or visible eagles that couldn't be removed, and also have the advantage of being bloody lovely if you wanted to convert a lady Blood Dragon:

60010101002_BurningProsperoENG05.jpg

This renegade psyker from Forge World would make a pretty awesome dark science Necrarch:

99550102065_RenegadeMilitiaRoguePsykers0

I've never liked Dark Eldar Mandrakes much, but they might work for you (assuming you were able to get fangs onto them somehow):

99810112006_MandrakesNEW_01.jpg

The Lhamaen was made to run as a Fantasy vampire:

99800112012_LhamaeanNEW_01.jpg

Hope these help! :) 

Yess! And I've been searching through all the eldar/dark eldar/harlequin stuff and there are so many options. Now I wish there was a warscroll for vampire foot soldiers!

Archived